Photo

Perspicacious Pontifications 12/20/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Mark (and all)!

Well, it's been a busy Christmas Holiday... wife and I spent yesterday just dumbing out watching the fire burn in the fireplace and watchin' some tube.

Got some business to attend to after I finish making my forum "rounds"... but if I feel like it when finished I intend to work some more on the FS Sub route at Fort Smith.

At this point (and I hope it stays this way), I'm quite comfortable with accepting the reality that I can't build 'em all (i.e. Colorado narrow gauge, coal in the Alleghenies, etc, etc), even though I'd love to. So, I hope the CM and the FS Sub will fill my bill nicely.

Time to start closing this one up. Ah yes... I can't forget a PICTURE!!

Below is another very historic Mike Condren photo. This one taken in the mid-60's and illustrates the evening passenger train #710 from Ft. Smith to Monett meeting a freight at Van Buren. Oh, and by the way, it was not uncommon for train #710 to be powered by one of the Frisco's E-units!

Oh, and did I mention troop trains?

Hmmm... out of time. The troop trains are best left told another time. wink.gif

Attached Files

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Evenin' Gents!

Last night I had a dangerous thought: Figured I ought to start taking my camera with me so I can shoot textures and what not while in Fort Smith. After all... a feller's can never have too many textures, right?

Well, while at Dixie Cup I nabbed a good wall texture for later. Then, decided to grab a shot as we switched Dixie Cup. Below is a pic taken right before we started shoving into the inside track. (The one that goes inside the building.) Had 5 paper loads for them, and also had a hold of one load we'd just picked up at the Dixie Cup waste paper track. Sitting on the main are 12 loads out of Saint-Gobain (a type of frac sand).

Anyhoo... bear in mind that Dixie Cup was in place during the target era I have in mind for my version of the Fort Smith Sub. Sooo... if I ever get Fort Smith completed enough to share with you... you could be switching the same place virtually!!

All for now!

Attached Files

#23 AFracer40m

AFracer40m

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Nice grab from work Andre, I need to bring my camera literally with me out to the job, not just the hotel, usually forget it in the room before I head out the door at 545am.

#24 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Nice, Andre. It seems like you're in your happy place, here. Seeing the Winslow shots reminds me of our ride last May. Thanks for the privilege of a personal tour to a special place. It would be a thrill to run it all in MSTS ... but enjoy the build, friend.

A cut of XP's on the nose - that's how I spent my late morning and early afternoon today, too!

#25 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

Hi Andre!

Nice shots! I like especially the PAs :-) Great engines! Would be a great thing if the building-virus is overvcoming you ;-)

BTW: I understand very well your thoughts you mentioned in another thread. Me too am a lilbit burned out from MSTS. Being near from finishing my first freeware add-on, the ME 2ft Monson RR, I am feeling too the need of a lil break.

Cheers,

Christian

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi Steve:

Good to see you stop by! The neat thing about being slightly simple minded, is that almost all days are "happy" days for me! tongue.gif

As you can see from the pics and scope of the Frisco's Fort Smith Sub, trying to build the complete route will be a looooong project. BUT... what's the hurry, huh? I'm sure I'll be a'piddlin' with it some more. I kind of have it on hold until I start running the winter passenger train soon. (Think I'm supposed to be on the psgr train Saturday the 22nd.) Reason for it being somewhat on hold is that I want to compare some elements in RE to the real world. Mainly, some elevation questions. Though I know that line well... I don't have EVERY aspect memorized!!

Christian:

Good to see you stop by, too! It's been a while!

I COMPLETELY understand on the need to step back from MSTS. All it takes is a casual perusal of my VSC forum to see how often I've built myself into a corner (routes) and have to come up for air.

As you have read in this thread, I think one of the things that is slowly dawning on me is that I need to work on things that I have a real personal interest in... not something that I think would be "cool" to see in MSTS.

I think another thing that is sinking in on me is that diversification can actually HELP. That is, not just ONLY lay track... but build structures... tinker with an equipment repaint... piddle with this... piddle with that. Whatever I'm in the mood to do... not necessarily what I OUGHT to do. Does that make sense?

That approach doesn't make for high production numbers... but I've given up on being a productive commercial developer anyway!! Now I just want to enjoy my "hobby"... and if I get something complete enough to share... I'll do so.

SO... I suggest to you that you also diversify and go have fun in MSTS, instead of feeling the pressure to "GET THAT ROUTE FINISHED!!!". It is, after all, your hobby. Go enjoy the fruits of someone ELSE'S labor for a while! (That is: Go play trains on other routes!)

Have fun!

#27 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 14 2011, 1:51 PM) View Post

Christian:

Good to see you stop by, too! It's been a while!

I COMPLETELY understand on the need to step back from MSTS. All it takes is a casual perusal of my VSC forum to see how often I've built myself into a corner (routes) and have to come up for air.

As you have read in this thread, I think one of the things that is slowly dawning on me is that I need to work on things that I have a real personal interest in... not something that I think would be "cool" to see in MSTS.

I think another thing that is sinking in on me is that diversification can actually HELP. That is, not just ONLY lay track... but build structures... tinker with an equipment repaint... piddle with this... piddle with that. Whatever I'm in the mood to do... not necessarily what I OUGHT to do. Does that make sense?

That approach doesn't make for high production numbers... but I've given up on being a productive commercial developer anyway!! Now I just want to enjoy my "hobby"... and if I get something complete enough to share... I'll do so.

SO... I suggest to you that you also diversify and go have fun in MSTS, instead of feeling the pressure to "GET THAT ROUTE FINISHED!!!". It is, after all, your hobby. Go enjoy the fruits of someone ELSE'S labor for a while! (That is: Go play trains on other routes!)

Have fun!

Hi Andre!

Thanks for your answer! Yes, I am still around here at VScalecreations from time to time ;-)
Despite a very stressing time I had to pass last year which finished on Jan 3rd this year in
breakdown... :-( Working in the field service of an insurance company I had to work even
in my holidays :-((

Anyway, a new year began and with it new chances ;-) And with looking for a new job!

Regarding MSTS you`re probably right. I should do a break in my construction efforts and
for a time just enjoy the works of others. In a certain way I do this already, writing many
activities at Ohio Valley System. But even here I think I need a break. Maybe I should
for a time just enjoy the activities I wrote in the past instead of creating always new ones. :-)

Cheers,

Christian

#28 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Christian:

Work-related stress is the pits. Been there, done that. Hopefully you'll find another, better, job.

As for your MSTS hobby: Like was suggested earlier... DIVERSIFY! Do whatever you feel like doing and not what you feel you NEED to be doing. Big difference between the two!

As for me, I've been having fun laying track on two or three of my personal pet projects... when I tire of one, I move to the next for a while. One of my projects has a segment that is close to being ready for scenery... so I may push on that one and get it to the point I can start making it look like a railroad instead of looking like a land covered with a green billiard tablecloth with track on it! It's always fun to start watching scenes take shape on a route.

The guys here at the VSC forums have convinced me that I ought to be working on stuff I enjoy and have personal interest in... and that I'm doing! Try it!