Photo

HOME! 8/14/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

I'm HOME!!! Thank God!! Today's ride was literally "The Ride From Hell". Most of the day was spent in heat indices in the 110-115 range. The searing hot blacktop/concrete was BRUTAL. All totaled it was 500 miles yesterday, and about 550 today.

Now... you know me: I'm not much on the "huge gathering of bikes and not much else" scene, so I took a couple of days and split off on my own. I went exploring and found all sorts of interesting tidbits and grandeur. First off, the Black Hills are BEAUTIFUL and RUGGED. The first pic illustrates this.

Next, there were RAILROADS (almost all narrow gauge) that ran EVERYWHERE in them. Roadbeds are evident in MANY places. They passed through such imagination stirring names as: Deadwood, Crazy Horse, Custer, Homestake Mine, etc. REALLY great stuff. I intend to learn more about this new (to me) and fascinating area.

There remains one remnant of a line that operates daily: The Black Hills Central. Below you'll see a few pics I snapped from a happenstance meeting of their little train as it made its way back from Keystone and heading for their terminal at Hill City.

In all... good trip... great experiences... WONDERFUL AREA!!!

All for now!

Attached Files

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Its just to hot to enjoy anything lately with the high heat, really sucks when you have to stop and put both feet down. Anyway some cool shots that could make some interesting modeling wink.gif smile.gif

#3 TomG

TomG

Dispatcher

• Beta Tester
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Forgive my ignorance Andre, but what RR is that? Beautiful pictures.

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi Tom:

It's called the "Black Hills Central RR". Steve Weaver knows more about it... when he drops by perhaps he can fill in some details for us?

#5 TomG

TomG

Dispatcher

• Beta Tester
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Thankyou Sir.

#6 AFracer40m

AFracer40m

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

Yep that would be the 1880 train, on the Black Hills Central. If you guys ever get the chance to ride, do it, well worth the little cost to ride! My dad used to take me and my little sister on it every time we visited our relatives in Rapid City SD.

Sure is a well operated railway there, and lots of neat equipment they have and take care of very well!

Thanks for the great photos Andre, brings back some good memories, pretty sure my dad still has videos possibly, I know he has tons of photos yet from the late 80's and early 90's.

#7 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:20 AM

Here is a little info about them. http://en.wikipedia....entral_Railroad Glad your back and had a safe ride Andre.

#8 AFracer40m

AFracer40m

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

Here's the link to there website http://www.1880train.com/

Figured I'd post a youtube video for guys, Andre you should get a good kick outta this one wink.gif

And the video is not mine, so here's the link.

#9 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

I was in the same area in May. Road the line in the snow! What a difference: I almost didn't recognize the scenes without snow. A scene very similar to the first photo of rocks is now the screen saver on my wife's computer.
Bill Hobbs

#10 CRQ5508

CRQ5508

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

Isn't this the same railroad that operates the only 2-6-6-2 left in North America? Great photos, sir! The first one is astonishing. It makes me wonder how those particular rocks were carved. Be it from glacial movement eons ago, or be an ancient river or something else?

#11 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Are those cars interurban trailers from somewhere?

OBTW, welcome back Andre! smile.gif

#12 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

CRQ5508 asked:
"Isn't this the same railroad that operates the only 2-6-6-2 left in North America? Great photos, sir! The first one is astonishing. It makes me wonder how those particular rocks were carved. Be it from glacial movement eons ago, or be an ancient river or something else?"
Not sure if its the only one left, but it is operating.
Bill

#13 B32BWH

B32BWH

Engineer Trainee

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

Its the only one operating. Niles Canyon Railway (where I spend my time wasting away) plans to have a sister to the Black Hills 110, a very similar 2-6-6-2T, running by next year. Progress is going at a steady pace.

#14 HIBALL3985

HIBALL3985

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Glad you had a good trip and arrived back safely. I thought I was the only one who took pictures of rocks. Here is a few from New Mexico on my way to the Cumbres&Toltec NG.

Attached File  IMG_8285.JPG   68.13KB   146 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8296.JPG   54.71KB   116 downloads

Jim

#15 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

I didn't have time before tonight to edit this photo from my snowy visit to the Black Hills line. Here is the mallet being moved around by the 2-6-2 that pulled our train.
Bill

Attached Files

• Attached File  bhrr.JPG   95.01KB   36 downloads

#16 CRQ5508

CRQ5508

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

They have a 2-6-6-2 saddle tank engine AND a 2-6-2 saddle tank? Boy do I have to get out there some time! biggrin.gif The funny part is, is that the 2-6-2 doesn't seem much smaller than it's big brother!