Photo

Take A Ride On The Midland! 6/17/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

Hi Andre,

While I have other hobbies - your work is what keeps me coming back to MSTS time after time...
Looks great...

That Ozarks expansion certainly captured my attention as well...
wink.gif

Regards,
Scott

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hi Scott:

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're gettin' a kick out of the CM and ES&NA threads.

With these two route projects, I've sort of got a win-win situation for me:

* The ES&NA is a fun route that allows me a lot of flexibility.

When I tire of the constraints of a ridgid prototype route building, I can indulge here and be creative.

* It is very rewarding to be bringing the CM back to life.

It is much more personally rewarding to be resurrecting such a venerable and famous line... but it is a LOT more exacting than protolancing. So, I suspect I'll need to "come up for air" every now and then and work on something else for a while.

Later gator!

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Speaking of later... here's a quick textual update:

Rails have reached and passed through Cascade Canyon, Culver, Ute Park, and they're now approaching Green Mountain Falls, milepost 15.5. I'm roughly 12 miles from the summit at Divide. To get there I'll need to complete Green Mtn Falls (wye and pass track) then lay on through Woodland Park (pass track, auxiliary track, spurs, lumber mill, wye), Summit Park (pass track), and at last Divide. (Where will be small and compact rail facilities for both the CM and the abuilding Midland Terminal Rwy.) Then it will be down the other side of the mountain through Bellvue, Pisgah, and to Florissant. Florissant was a helper town so will have rudimentary engine facilities, a pass and auxilary tracks, a wye and such.

BUT... time consuming getting the rails up through Ute Pass. You learn a whole new appreciation for what the prototype CM accomplished when you try to shoot rails through the same topography in virtual form!

Welp... time to start wrapping things up and heading off to bed. REALLY looking foward to 108-110 degrees in the cab tomorrow. wacko.gif

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

The rails are through Green Mountain Falls... and headed for Crystola.

In only two more miles, my relaid mainline will have passed the obsolete main still in place from my previous CM attempt years ago. Cool! cool.gif

#25 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

biggrin.gif

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

It was 105 degrees in Alco land today. That means the cab was about 110 or more. dry.gif I was really, really, glad to get home, get a nice cool shower, and relax at my computer for a while. cool.gif

Chipping away at the CM, the rails have arrived at the edge of Woodland Park. Barring the unforeseen, I hope to lay the pass, auxiliary track, spurs and wye tomorrow evening, and head off toward Edlowe and Divide. If my energy holds up and nothing interferes with my available time... I just MIGHT be working on the town of Divide come Saturday! However, that's a big IF... so it remains to be seen.

Welp... all for this little update. Off to bed... 5:30 AM gets here waaaaay too quickly this time of year!

#27 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Woodland Park is history! Headed for Edlowe/Summit Park! IF good progress is made tonight/tomorrow night... I'll reach Divide tomorrow evening.

BUT...

I may have to work Saturday. dry.gif

Hoping to dodge it... but we'll see. unsure.gif

Okay... grabbin' one of my CM books... an' it's off to the Throne Room for a spell! tongue.gif

#28 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 24 2010, 4:40 PM) View Post

...Okay... grabbin' one of my CM books... an' it's off to the Throne Room for a spell! tongue.gif

Thanks for sharin' that!!! blink.gif

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

NEWS FLASH!

Taking a short break from RE, and thought while sipping on a fresh glass of iced tea, I would give a quick update:

The rails are about 3 MILES from Divide! Yippee!

Once I arrive, I'll be there fer a spell on account of there being quite a few spurs, sidings, two wyes, ??? amount of Midland Terminal track off toward Cripple Creek, etc!

Still...

I'M ALMOST TO THE TOP OF UTE PASS!!!

Once finished at Divide, it's only 8.9 miles downgrade to my target town of Florissant!!!

Is this COOL or WHAT???? cool.gif

#30 cricetus

cricetus

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 25 2010, 2:33 PM) View Post

I'M ALMOST TO THE TOP OF UTE PASS!!!

Once finished at Divide, it's only 8.9 miles downgrade to my target town of Florissant!!!

Is this COOL or WHAT???? cool.gif

#31 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

The rails reached Divide about an hour ago. smile.gif

Tomorrow, I intend to get down to business trying to study the pictorial references, track maps, data, etc, and translate it into rails placed on the terrain. Not easy terrain... not an easy town.

Wish me luck!!

Nighty-night.

#32 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

Dressed turkeys and kegs of beer for all the track workers!

#33 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:45 AM

Great pics! :-) Looking very forward for the route to come!
BTW: I got today finally my copy of "Midland route: A Colorado Midland guide and data book" by Mc Farland!

Really a great route!!

Cheers,

Christian