Photo

Take A Ride On The Midland! 6/17/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hi All:

Okay... was going to run a train to check some things. Thought I might as well take some in-game pics for you'ins to see.

DISCLAIMERS:

* This is a RAW ROUTE. That is, NOTHING is placed other than track.

* NO terra-forming (i.e. Y key) is accomplished yet. That waits until track alignments are FINAL.

* My screen shots aren't too good. Not the best graphics card, I'm a'feared.

Okay... let's take CM #7, 9 loads of construction supplies (rail, ties, bridge timber) bound for the Midland Terminal RR being constructed from Divide, waycar 417 and CM #1 helping... and head off for Ute Pass!

Attached Files

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

next one....

Attached Files

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#9 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

next one...

Attached Files

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

last one...

Attached Files

#11 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

That's not to the end of the line... but I kept running myself out of steam and had to stop to blow up again! So, I exited and decided to post what I had.

Anyhoo...

The neat thing about this is that when I run it, I'm actually getting as close as possible to seeing what is was like to run on the Colorado Midland as it was. I'm getting to see the same landforms as the CM crews did... even facing some of the same challenges of moving trains over it. To me, that's just too cool. cool.gif

Welp... all for now. Got the answers I needed concerning some question marks I had in Ute Pass... so it's off to lay some more track!

#12 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Wow. Just, wow.

#13 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Sheesh! How exciting does this thing get? I'm about to wet my Depends. WOW! biggrin.gif

Keep 'em comin', I say, keep 'em comin'... smile.gif

#14 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hi Rick:

I find several things that are exciting about the CM:

* The rugged topography of Lower Ute Pass.

* The grades between Colorado City and Divide. With very brief respites (like 2%??) there's some 24 miles of 3% and 4% grades. (More about this down below.)

* The handsome engines and quaint equipment they used.

* The interesting Colorado City/Colorado Springs/Roswell transfer operations and switching.

* The industrial district at Colorado City including several ore processing mills, a rock quarry, and some other assorted switching. (The rock quarry has a ridiculous 4.7% grade! Oh... and the loads go DOWN grade!)

* The fact that there's helper grades on both sides of Divide: From Colorado City to Divide, and from Florissant to Divide.

* The OPERATIONAL potential of this thing. (See below!)

* On and on.

Now you see why this railroad has fascinated me since my discovery of it back in the early 90's.

As for the operational potential:

Those long and steep grades means helpers, helpers, and more helpers. Helpers are fun, and make for a lot of operational interest. I mean, it is SO COOL to be "in the hole" waiting for an upgrade (AI) train... and have it come snortin' and poundin' around a curve and go stormin' by at about 8 MPH... with two engines makin' a racket on the front and one shoving on the rear! Good stuff Maynard!

In addition, this portion of the CM actually had "passenger turns", or "Suburbans" as they were called. These were small passenger trains that were scheduled to run between Colorado Springs up as far as Woodland Park and return.

Last operational point for now: The CM was contracted to do ALL the switching on ALL the railroads in the Colorado Springs and Colorado City areas: D&RG, ATSF, Rock Island, Union Pacific Denver & Gulf. It's this simple: If you see track in Colorado City/Springs... the CM worked it!

Welp... all for now. Going to hit the shower and get rid of a day's worth of railroading... then relax and piddle in RE.

Later gator!

#15 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

Well, it does sound like it will be a lot of fun when finished, that's for sure.
Keep us posted...

#16 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

And we've got lots of power to "Git R Dun!"

The 91 Class
Attached File  The_91_s.jpg   237.47KB   113 downloads

The 93 Class
Attached File  The_93_s.jpg   227.94KB   107 downloads

The 102 Class
Attached File  The_102_s.jpg   221.58KB   125 downloads

The 104 Class
Attached File  The_104_s.jpg   293.6KB   111 downloads

#17 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

The 115 Class
Attached File  The_115_s.jpg   221.44KB   109 downloads

with a few cabeese to tack on the ends
Attached File  The_Cabooses.jpg   205.63KB   117 downloads

and a coach or two for those suburban trains.
Attached File  The_Coaches.jpg   151.31KB   114 downloads

All just waiting for that rail to be laid! biggrin.gif

#18 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

Oh, gosh... Now you got me droolin'... biggrin.gif

#19 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

Herb said:

All just waiting for that rail to be laid!

And being laid it is. BUT... it ain't a'goin near like it was.

This last section was S-L-O-W going. Once the track was down from the canyon side and nearer the canyon floor, the traces of roadbed were no more, having been eradicated by the double hiway that now runs through there. That slowed me up on account of having to flip back and forth from my resources to determine alignments and such. Plus, I then arrived at a laborious section that included a siding at Crags, Safety Switch, and then the exit from lower Ute Pass into the town of Cascade (Canon/Canyon). All of which required much laying of track, pulling it up, relaying, adjust this, adjust that, relay... whew!!! wacko.gif

HOWEVER!!!!

I have exited lower Ute Pass... the tracks for the town of Cascade (Canon/Canyon) have been plopped in... and I'm ready to head up the valley for a ways! The rail laying should be easier for a while. biggrin.gif

As of today, the rails are 11.9* miles from the ATSF depot at Colorado Springs... I'm only 15.9 miles from Divide, and 24.8 miles from the target town of Florissant.

* 11.9 miles is VERY mis-leading. There are MILES of supporting track, industry, and connecting RR yards/lines around the Colorado City/Springs area.

Now, bear in mind that I laid 57 miles of mainline w/towns in 10 days just recently on the ES&NA extension of the Ozark Lines, so the "math" says I could do this in 5 days. BUT... this will go much, MUCH slower on account of being based on a prototype, and having to fiddle with the track pieces to get the track scene to fit the terrain/town elements/features. To any of you that have tried doing this in mountainous terrain: Not easy. blink.gif

My previously determined goal remains: Reaching Florissant with the rails, then come back and start populating the tiles with scenery. At this point, I still intend to get the Colorado City/Springs area done first, and release that portion. All the other track past that area will be in place, but not sceniced, and likely not terraformed with the Y key, either. Just raw route once past the completed portion. However, having all the track in place will help to insure that the trackwork desired for this first big portion is in place and error free. cool.gif

Welp... all for now. Gotta' leave here in a bit for NW Arkansas to take Sharon to see her Dad n' folks for Father's Day. Won't be back until later tonight. flowers.gif

See'ya!!!

#20 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy... Cool, neato, right on! tongue.gif

Have a safe trip. smile.gif