Photo

Can we discus the VSC Steam Sound Pack?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hi all,
I've read here, and on other forum boards, that the VSC Steam Sound Pack may contain a few sounds that I've been looking for.
Although, I make my own sounds whenever possible, I can't always find the proper sounds on the net or in the real world.
My real question is, after purchasing this sound pack, will I be able to use these sounds on my own creations and release them as freeware?
(All my 'stuff' is free and I have no desire to sell it.)
Of course, I'd give credit where credit is do in the README file.

Another question I have is, will I be able to 'modify' one or more of these sounds to better suit my application to a model?
Again, a note in the README file of any such endeavors.

Thanks,

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hello Rick:

No, you would not be able to release the sounds with freeware. As it is with essentially all commercial train simulation software, once purchased, the end user is free to use as desired on his/her personal computer. The end-user is not permitted to redistribute in any form.

The easy way around this for you, would be to include both sound line addresses in your eng/wag file to be released, with the VSC sound line commented as mentioned in the previous thread. Let the eng/wag file point toward a similar sound from those sounds that come supplied with MSTS. (Thus everyone should have said sound file in their MSTS installation.)

If the end-user downloads your creation, and has previously purchased the VSC Sound Pack (or chooses to purchase it), then he/she can simply comment your supplied sound line and activate the VSC sound line. This is a very workable solution and crosses no legal or ethic issues.

#3 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

OK, I understand. Thanks, Andre.