Photo

The Hard Part (LONG) 5/31/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Well... the rails have just about reached the bottom of Turpentine Hollow. It turned out to be quite the descent!

Here's quickie RE grab of the descent...

Attached Files

#22 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

All very interesting, Andre. Looks to be another winner to me.

#23 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Awesome. I love steep grades!

#24 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

biggrin.gif

#25 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Well, as of 11:19 PM my time, the rails are poised at the bottom of the last divide before Eureka Springs. I hope to spend some time tomorrow trying to get a line over the top and down to Eureka Springs.

Between the Ozark Northern's extension, and the new Eureka Springs & North Arkansas line, there are going to be some Ozark towns/places you'll be passing through that have names with lots of "character". Bear in mind these are REAL PLACES in their actual location! Such places as...

On the Ozark Northern extension:

White Oak
Possum Trot
Dutchman Hollow
Jethro
Burrell Spring
Rock Creek
Milton Ford

On the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas:

Hawkins Hollow
War Eagle
Withrow Springs
Lookout
Turpentine Hollow
Bear Hollow (Going to be a big lumber operation here, with a branch up Bear Hollow.)

There are several more... but the above gives you an idea of the colorful nature found in these parts.

Welp... sort of tuckered out. Going to head off to bed pretty soon. Until we meet again: Have fun!

#26 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

I can attest to what Andre is saying about the Arkansas namage. I've lived here about 20 years and there are even more with character elsewhere in this state.

Have fun,

#27 spud

spud

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

I make an annual trek via automobile from Pensacola, FL to Lewiston, ID to visit family over the 4th of July. My route takes me through a portion of the Ozarks and each time I pass the road sign to
"Toad Suck Park" I always get a silly grin on my face.
tongue.gif

#28 HIBALL3985

HIBALL3985

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

I just returned from two weeks in New Mexico. Its good to see the latest progress on the route. Riding the Cumbres-Toltec was a great experience. Early in the morning I met a Friends volunteer who was impressed with my old time machining knowledge. He wanted to enlist me as a volunteer in the shops for a couple of weeks a year. I only wish I could do it. Unfortunately it's just not in my meager retirement budget. Pulling the 4% grade was a challenge for the engineer. I talked to him at Osier. There was an angle cock that wouldn't stay closed and he was loosing steam all the way up. You could hear it with every piston stroke. Overall a great experience and would recommend it to anyone who can make it there.

Jim

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hello HiBall Jim!

Good to have you back! Isn't Chama fabulous? The atmosphere there is just unreal. Was this your first time to the C&T? Where did you lodge?

One year we were at Chama (and unknown to us prior to arriving) the following day there was to be a photographer's special. (i.e. A "freight" train.) Well, after arriving and having a good day of chasing the passenger trains... it was off for supper, clean up, relax... then hit the sack. We were staying at the "Hotel And Shops" right across from the engine service area. As I recall, this was in September, so the night air was cool and the aspens were turning. Gorgeous.

Anyway... we retired pretty early for us (10 PM?). As I was laying there and enjoying cool breeze and the soft sounds of a simmering engines through the partly raised window... the distant sound of a steam whistle came into earshot. For some reason, one of the engines was being brought over from Antonito or something... anyway... it arrived in the yard, and low and behold, they had to switch the freight cars out of their various locations and build the train needed the next day. For the next hour or more, as I lay there soaking it up, the chuffing of a steam engine, the clunking of couplings, whistle signals... the works... was taking place just across the street in their yard.

Man oh man!!! You talk about it transporting me to back to "then"!!!

That evening was without a doubt one of the best steam experiences I have been fortunate to experience. What a wonderful way to finish a day!

#30 HIBALL3985

HIBALL3985

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

Hi Andre,
Your not kidding, the atmosphere there is excellent. All the people are great friendly folks. The weather was perfect the two days we were there. We stayed at the RV park located between the yard and the trestle. It was ideal for camping out. He has some track laid and some of the DRGW equipment on the property. Plus you got great views of the trains when they went by.
I apologize for changing the thread topic. Too much excitement to contain.
Attached File  IMG_8525.JPG   101.98KB   60 downloads

#31 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

Ah, no worries on the Cumbres topic shift! I get excited about that place too! (See above!)

Besides, my VSC forum is more like a gathering place of virtual friends rather than a "paid commercial ad" space sort of thing. biggrin.gif

Glad you had fun and made it back home safe! cool.gif