Photo
- - - - -

Fostoria, OH - The Iron Triangle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

On Saturday my old man and I decided to pack up our cameras and head up to Fostoria, OH for a day of 'fannin'. As soon as we hit the triangle an NS Triple Crown roadrailer roared through town, much to my disappointment since I didn't have time to unpack my gear and set up for a good shot. I missed 2 other TC roadrailers that day, one due to a dead battery, and the other because we were gallyvanting around checking out the other fan sight locations and it crept up on us. We had a blast and are eager to go back once it warms up a bit more. Below are some of the videos I shot that day. We saw about 30 trains in a 6 hour window.

#2 Spin

Spin

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

I miss Fostoria.

Every time I worked in Fremont, I made the trip down to Fostoria.

Have they built that railfan park yet?

#3 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

Nice vid's Dan!!!!! Next time you are planning a trip to go there, give me a jingle so we can join in, it's only a 2 hour ride from here and my family Loves to railfan en-mass. Did you guys go and eat up the road into town at Delana's? Their pricing is so small town low for homemade food that is really pretty good. Your second vid has a Gin-Mill in it, go straight into town about 1-1/2 miles and they are on the corner on the right.

Great job on the video's smile.gif

#4 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Nice of you to drop in Dan laugh.gif
Nice vids, that place can be hoppin sometimes and it can be hard to make a decision on where to go. When I went there with Sean we had a blast, if work stays good I could swing a trip as Sean was just hinting on one the other day wink.gif

#5 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(Spin @ Mar 26 2010, 5:01 PM) View Post

I miss Fostoria.

Every time I worked in Fremont, I made the trip down to Fostoria.

Have they built that railfan park yet?

The railfan park is on hold at the moment. The former buildings on sight were razed, and there is a big open lot there now, but it sits idle waiting for whatever is holding up the contruction. I much prefer the lot across from the old Amtrak station over the location they chose for the railfan park, unless it gets you closer to F tower for better shots.

QUOTE(SeanK97 @ Mar 26 2010, 5:41 PM) View Post

Nice vid's Dan!!!!! Next time you are planning a trip to go there, give me a jingle so we can join in, it's only a 2 hour ride from here and my family Loves to railfan en-mass. Did you guys go and eat up the road into town at Delana's? Their pricing is so small town low for homemade food that is really pretty good. Your second vid has a Gin-Mill in it, go straight into town about 1-1/2 miles and they are on the corner on the right.

Great job on the video's smile.gif

Hiya Sean! We were in the mood for KFC while we were there, but when we went to where it was supposed to be it looked like it had only recently closed down. So, we drove to Kroger and picked up some hot chicken and brought it back to the diamonds. We saved the taking in of good food for our 4 hour trip back home, stopping at one of our favorite BBQ rib places just south of Ft. Wayne, IN. Next time we are planning a trip up I will have to give you guys a heads up!

QUOTE(milepost56 @ Mar 26 2010, 9:16 PM) View Post

Nice of you to drop in Dan laugh.gif
Nice vids, that place can be hoppin sometimes and it can be hard to make a decision on where to go. When I went there with Sean we had a blast, if work stays good I could swing a trip as Sean was just hinting on one the other day wink.gif

The place was hoppin that day! 30 trains in 6 to 7 hours. I didn't have enough battery life to get them all. Fixed that problem by buying another battery that will give me 10 hours of recording time. I like heading over to the CSX/NS diamonds west of Main St. I don't know why, but watching the trains pound over the diamonds is much more thrilling to me than sitting at one of the other spots watching them go by.