Photo

The Midland Saga 2/6/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#41 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Herb confessed:

"I never had a layout with scenery until I got into the sim!"

Almost guilty as well! Never finished the scenery on ANY of my many layouts. Had SOME scenery on all of them... but had more fun simulating railroading on the layouts instead of building scenery.

Martin said:

"I'm one of those people who goes for...

<snip: atmosphere, operations, the environment around it, vegetation, buildings, details.>

...If you like the 'mood'. Even the 'history'. And I like to run trains for some kind of purpose so I tend to go for the shortline/switching routes more than the long haul main lines."

Ditto. As a route developer, it is VERY rewarding to me come as close as practical to creating an overall atmosphere that helps to convey the subject, locale, and theme. Though I had burn-out issues that delayed getting the Ozark Northern finished... the end result was very gratifying. I especially enjoy hearing from an end user about how the overall impact of the Ozark Northern "feels like" an 1890's boomtown railroad.

In addition to the challenge of caputuring "mood" within a route, I also enjoy sharing history with rail enthusiasts via my MSTS efforts. I had one customer tell me (paraphrased): "That's one of the things I like about your routes: They are not only fun, but they also teach me about the history and railroading of the region being modeled."

THAT was a compliment that meant a lot to me.

Mervyn said:

"Been a long time since the StL&NA."

Boy, ain't that the truth... was it 2004 that I released the little StLNA? In V scale years... that was a lifetime ago!!!

#42 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Ah yes, STRUCTURES.

Can't really build a route without 'em, right?

Bored tonight... so I scrounged through my texture folders to see if I could come up with enough texture parts to at least build a "filler" structure for use in the middle of a city block. Anyhoo... here's the very first structure for the CM route! It has begun!

Attached Files

#43 cricetus

cricetus

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 17 2010, 8:22 PM) View Post

It has begun!

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#44 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

Hi Andre!

Looking very very forward for this route! I hope to be
beyond the Betatesters ;-)

I really love this old old steamers!

Christian

#45 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

cricetes:

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Me too!

Christian:

The version of the CM I have on my hard drive right now is not anything like the version I sent to Herb and Steve for evalution/input. biggrin.gif That version is already waaaaay out of date and obsolete. Yup, theirs is so "last month". cool.gif

"I really love this old old steamers!"

I'm such a sucker for them it's pathetic. I can see a neat 1880's - 1890's picture of a railroad scene... and I'm hooked all over again. Just something about it.

All:

Today's experience was a good news/bad news deal: rolleyes.gif

The good news is that I was able to load up and head off for the Fort Smith and Van Buren historical districts to take some photo texture shots so desperately needed for TOC city structures for the CM (and other) routes.

The bad news is that the day had waaay softer lighting than I hoped for so some of the pictures don't really have much "snap" to them and lack crispness.

The good news is that it didn't rain like the predictions were calling for.

The bad news is my digital camera started doing "odd" things. Leaving town we stopped by the local camera shop to describe the symptoms and was told it was the imaging sensor. In other words: Tick, tick, tick... the self destruct button has been activated and the clock is ticking. Long timer? Short? Who knows?

Soooo... looks like I'm getting ready to drop some $$$ to replace my aging digital camera. Hmmm... didn't have to do this back in the "film" days. My Canon, Yashica, and Pentax 35mm SLR cameras had steel bodies and were bulletproof. Still work to this day. (Except for the Yashica, as I recall.)

However, the good news is I'll be able to purchase FAR more camera for the same funds this old one cost.

Sooo... a day of mixed emotions!

However, later tonight I intend to go through my new batch of pics and see if I can start piecing together some basic structure textures for use. We shall see! wink.gif