Photo

Why are there *ai.eng files

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tattoo

Tattoo

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:27 AM

I'm new to MSTS and I just bought the Chessie superset and there are *ai.eng files along with normal .eng files. What are the ai.eng files for? Is this an alias engine file? I've read some things about this but not much and am wondering why they are there and what do they do. Is there any tutorials on this stuff also? I'm looking on Train-Sim.com now for answers. Thank you...

#2 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

I believe these are versions with special ENG and sound files for use in creating your own activities. Cheers! Marc

#3 lelandfletcher

lelandfletcher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

Dear Tattoo, The AI stands for Artificial Intelligence and they are not drivable. They can be used as the other trains that you see moving in an activity. Not to be used as the Player train. The AI lights are set up different than the player train, also they have no cabview and can't be driven as the Player train. Yours truly, Leland

#4 Tattoo

Tattoo

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Thanks lelandfletcher. I used on as the second engine and it seemed to work but I think that the train brake was still on. I had it off but it seems that if I don't hear the sound of the presure being released, the brakes still hold. It seems that after I hear that sound, the engine seems to go then. I'm still new to this and don't know if that is how it is or not but I drove a few trains and it seems like I need to hear that sound before the train brakes are completely released. I'll find out eventually as I go. I have a lot of reading to do still. Thanks again....

I believe these are versions with special ENG and sound files for use in creating your own activities.

Cheers!
Marc

Hack, I've looked thru a lot of consists and activities and didn't see one engine with ai in it. So these be used for loose consists? I'm gonna have to check out some more egine files to see whats different. Thanks...

#5 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

Either player or AI locos can be used - generally, AI would be better, since often these are cut-down versions of the higher poly models the player drives, which will then help in keeping your PC's performance up. We've used AI locos in the past - as Leland states, these are different than "normal" player trains so they can be used in activities and still have lights and proper audio. Cheers! Marc