Photo

Siding names

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 krausyao

krausyao

New Hire

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

While running an activity on Tehachapi Pass I noticed that some siding names appeared fictional. Some example siding names are I.M. Crude Oil Co. and Clampett Oil Co. Some research shows the actual names of these sidings are Tricor Refining and Chevron Corp. Does the Tehachipi scenery expansion change the track database or fix these siding names? Would there be a reason for using fictional siding names?

These siding names can be changed without affecting activities since track item numbers are used to identify sidings.

SidingItem ( 597 )

#2 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(krausyao @ Sep 19 2009, 6:43 PM) View Post
Would there be a reason for using fictional siding names?

I suppose it would depend on how much research 3DTS actually did on the route, and whether they felt the fictional name would or would not detract from the end result.

Note that if you change the siding names remember to make a backup of the track database (and World files), as any changes to the track infrastructure while in RE will also update the TDB. I believe so long as you don't add or remove sidings, but simply rename them, that you can restore the TDB from backup once you've completed the siding renaming. This would then keep existing activities intact.

Cheers!
Marc

#3 jrmeindl

jrmeindl

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Hack @ Sep 20 2009, 10:11 AM) View Post

Note that if you change the siding names remember to make a backup of the track database (and World files), as any changes to the track infrastructure while in RE will also update the TDB. I believe so long as you don't add or remove sidings, but simply rename them, that you can restore the TDB from backup once you've completed the siding renaming. This would then keep existing activities intact.

Cheers!
Marc

I believe this would work in most cases. The packaged activities look at the serial number of the track database when unpackaged. If the database structure isn't changed, you should be able to manually edit the file's serial number back to what it was before the editing took place. I would still do as Mark said regarding a backup just in case something doesn't go right.

Jim