Photo

Fort Kent Progress

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

With my next route for RS/Railworks under way, here's the first update regarding this gem of a route. But first, a pic of the route map itself from Google Earth.

Attached File  overview.jpg   112.49KB   208 downloads

Located in the mid uppermost part of Maine, this single tracked route slices down towards the center of Maine in picturesque fashion. Very twisty at times the route goes through three distinct phases following the river from Ft. Kent to Eagle Lake. My version of the route will accomodate some switching and will be set in more modern times to accomodate my object library as well as current content issues with RS/Railworks. This could change as the route creation progress continues. While the route is prototype some accomodations will need to be made such as giving the route a theme for its purpose. All this will be discussed as the route creation progresses as well. I am very early into this work and if you like to see the route progress, stay in touch with this thread.

As it stands now the route is demmed, with 90% of the track laid and plenty of markers to lead the way. The past week I've been laying roads from Eagle Lake up to Plaisted. To show a small sample of the accuracy of the route here's a small community south of Plaisted. Plaisted is about 1/3rd the way up from the bottom of the route (Eagle Lake).

Attached File  townroads.jpg   82.73KB   178 downloads

The screengrab to the left is from Google Earth and the gray outlining is the road network. The red line is the track markers. To the right is a screengrab from RS/Railworks. There is no flat ground on this route and if I zoomed in closer you could see the road dips and rises conforming to the terrain. I need to add that at the time the screengrab was taken I hadn't finished laying all the roads to this community yet. I'm finished now and am currently in the town of Plaisted.

This may not seem like much but these little communities dot the bottom third of the route from Eagle Lake to Plaisted.

If you follow the river edge in the left picture you'll note a blue highlight marks the river edge. This is another set of markers which are already imported into my route showing me the river edge inside RS/Railworks. It's pretty cool because the picture to the right is the game rendered version of this community. If I had shown a editor picture you would see three different kinds of lines dotting the community (track, roads and river).

And that's it for now. smile.gif

Rich

#2 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Here's a better pic of the markers in use in the town of Plaisted. These are very small communities that dot the river between Eagle Lake and Plaisted and along the track rightofway.

Rich

Attached File  Plaisted.jpg   81.17KB   186 downloads

#3 plethaus

plethaus

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

I can't wait to see this one, since I'm sure your routes will get better and better as you learn the ins and outs of RW/RS even more (and they are already the best out there IMO). Also, this route looks like it is ideal for some really great scenery. smile.gif

#4 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thanks P, my feelings this route will be a 'pretty' one. smile.gif

#5 kin3

kin3

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(rgarber @ Jul 10 2009, 1:08 PM) View Post

Thanks P, my feelings this route will be a 'pretty' one. smile.gif

Your routes are all pretty. You have a way of making it real and you feel like you are there. Just hurry up every change you get. biggrin.gif

#6 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

Good start Rich. Should be interesting having the water close to the track as it goes further up Eagle Lake.

Rod

#7 Canadian Shortliner

Canadian Shortliner

Railfan

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Even though your route is just getting started, I'm already excited! I know along my route there will be many clusters of camps (cottages), trailers, and RVs along the many lakes, forming small, unofficial communities similar to the ones in your shots (although the lakes are bigger up here wink.gif ). They make great scenes, and I agree, this route will definitely be a pretty one, especially with your great eye for detail and scene setting. I see another purchase in the future. biggrin.gif

#8 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(kin3 @ Jul 10 2009, 2:50 PM) View Post

Your routes are all pretty. You have a way of making it real and you feel like you are there. Just hurry up every change you get. biggrin.gif

Thanks Kin3. It's actually moving along a steady pace though it is tough to lay roads on constantly changing terrain. I don't think I've seen a flat piece of real estate yet except for the river bed! - Rich

#9 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(august1929 @ Jul 10 2009, 4:25 PM) View Post

Good start Rich. Should be interesting having the water close to the track as it goes further up Eagle Lake.

Rod

Rod, you and I think so much a like. smile.gif That was the appeal for me when I first stumbled across this route. Passed up a "many of others" just for that reason alone.

Rich

#10 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Canadian Shortliner @ Jul 10 2009, 4:50 PM) View Post

Even though your route is just getting started, I'm already excited! I know along my route there will be many clusters of camps (cottages), trailers, and RVs along the many lakes, forming small, unofficial communities similar to the ones in your shots (although the lakes are bigger up here wink.gif ). They make great scenes, and I agree, this route will definitely be a pretty one, especially with your great eye for detail and scene setting. I see another purchase in the future. biggrin.gif

Thanks Jason. smile.gif This route does seem like one long resort. Piers, fishing boats... I'm gonna have to try my hand at these and lots of water. - Rich

#11 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

BTW, here's a google shot of the Pliasted town (not much to it). - Rich

Attached File  Plaisted_google.jpg   154.53KB   168 downloads