Photo

Distant mountains question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

I've got a small route sitting in my MSTS folder for mucking around with. I was just wondering if anybody has used the 'clone distant mountains from existing dem data option' in DEMEX? Obviously this would require that many more tiles be generated in order to enable faraway distant mountain viewing. Are there any benefits from using this methods compared to the normal DM methods?

#2 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

If it's a small route, then no - no benefits. You can achieve the same "clear day" effect of distant mountains without using them, but setting the following line in the route's TRK file:

Mountains ( 00000001 )

Note the '1' - this turns on distant mountains, but the DEM need not be present for a brighter, clearer environment. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#3 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

Do you need have to have the registered version of DEMEX inoder for you to make DM, or can you just edit the TRK file and change the the last 0 to a 1 to make teh DM?

#4 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

A registered copy of Demex is required for creating distant mountains, but you can still use the '1' switch as indicated above to benefit from use of distant mountains without them actually being present.

Cheers!
Marc

#5 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(Hack @ Jun 24 2009, 12:40 PM) View Post

A registered copy of Demex is required for creating distant mountains, but you can still use the '1' switch as indicated above to benefit from use of distant mountains without them actually being present.

Cheers!
Marc

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to not actualy having the DM files there or is it the same as if they were there?

#6 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Purely visual - it's up to you whether to have them or not.

Cheers!
Marc

#7 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(nat @ Jul 8 2009, 11:26 PM) View Post

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to not actualy having the DM files there or is it the same as if they were there?

Here's a bland shot with no distant mountains enabled and a foggy horizon. For country so hilly, it is absurd that there is nothing whatsoever in sight more than a kilometre awayIPB Image

Now here's a shot in the same location with distant mountains enabled, bearing somewhat of a topographical resemblance to the actual locality

IPB Image

The decision's up to you whether you enable them or not smile.gif

#8 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thanks, but I meant do you need to actualy create the distant mountains with DEMEX inorder for you to see them, or can you just change that last zero to a one in the TRK data file and have them still visable just as if you created them with DEMEX?

#9 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Eh - why not try it and see? wink.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#10 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Well, looks like if I want DMs I need to buy Demex. Thanks for the help guys.