Photo
- - - - -

AOK Trip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 therock

therock

Route Rock Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

Well for the past few months dad and I had been planning to get out into the northeast- railfan the AOK, A&M, and KCS along the Oklahoma-Arkansas border. This was the decided weekend for the trip and as soon as 12 o-clock sharp on Friday afternoon we were on our way to the Ozarks.

At about 7pm Friday we arrived in McAlester, Oklahoma. Primary objective: Seek out any and every A-OK locomotive in the area... none. The whole town was void of any locomotives which was a real let down this early into the trip. We did get a few shots of the "depot"[s] in the area though.

IPB Image

IPB Image

With nothing else to see or do in town, we headed to a nearby Long John Silvers / A&W for some frosty mugs and fish...

The next day we loaded up and headed for Ft. Smith / Van Buren to foam the A&M Excursion train. On the way we made a pit stop in Wilburton to catch the majority of A-OK power... what an interesting shortline. By the way- Super-Sevens are awesome.

IPB Image

Van Buren - Surprise! Alco!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

We ended up chasing him all the way to Winslow. After the 46 decoupled from his train I was completely lost... at the time we only knew of this much as far as a schedule:

-Springdale
-Van Buren
-Winslow
-Springdale again

wrong.

So we ended up dashing North up to about Brentwood before we thought everything through and dashed back to Winslow. Gone. To the freeway!!! Well after a run past the mountains we ended up in Rudy, thinking "man what a great shot this is going to be". We somehow managed to miss the train and ended up waiting at the crossing for a good 20 minutes until 1:30 when we left to go to Van Buren in case we missed it. Yep. That would be the end of my journeys along the A&M for this trip at least...

Back to Wilburton!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just East of Wilburton there's a town called Panola with a sand (?) unloading "facility" and a real cool Rock Island bridge...

IPB Image

I could swear all 70 miles of this railroad is original Rock Island ballast, ties, etc. (aside from the seldom welded rail, although I'm not sure that isn't Rock Island itself)

IPB Image

I can't type anymore. I'll add to this tomorrow if time allows. smile.gif

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

Great story, great shots wink.gif

#3 darkflyer

darkflyer

ATSF Crosstied and Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

That looks like a railroad someone I know works on........