Photo

Freeware Cal-P Update *IMPORTANT*

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 fchrist16

fchrist16

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

Freeware Cal-P Update *IMPORTANT*

Much to my regret the Freeware Cal-P has been corrupted to the point where it is unusable.

I am going to re-start from scratch and extend the route but only work in portions over the next few months and see where I go from there. This route will cover the San Francisco Bay Area and most of the Central portion of the Central Valley area. I expect this route to be about as big as 3DTrains Feather River Route, which is 1.3GB.

If there is ANY interest in my continuing of this route, respond here and give a yay/nay attitude towards it. Don't ask when I will have it done, I am going to work on it as much as possible. I am expecting a late 2010 release smile.gif

Restarting the route will more than likely start in South parts of the Niles-Coast and Oakland Subs, reaching North to Roseville.

THE AMTRAK STATIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
San Jose - Coast Sub
Fremont - Niles Sub
Oakland Coliseum
Oakland
Emeryville
Richmond
Martinez
Suisun-Fairfield
Davis
Sacramento
Roseville

The route will include these yards and branches:

ON THE COAST SUB:
San Jose Caltrain Yard1
Mulford Yard

ON THE NILES SUB:
Niles Canyon Railway (NCRY)2

ON THE MARTINEZ SUB:
Oakland Sub Connection
East Oakland Yard
West Oakland Yard
Knight Yard
26th St. Yard
Emeryville Yard
BNSF & BART Yards in Richmond3
Richmond Pacific Railroad
Oil Refineries (between Richmond and Martinez there are many switching industries here)
Ozol Yard
Benecia Auto Facility
California Northern Railroad (both sides included from Suisun-Fairfield4 and Davis)5
Mikon Crossover (including the SERA trackage)
SACRAMENTO SP SHOPS (including the California State Railroad Museum)
Sacramento Northern Railroad
CP Haggin - Sacramento Sub (South to Pollock and North to Del Paso)
CP Elvas - Fresno Sub (South to Elk Grove)
CP East Roseville - Valley Sub (North to South Gerber)

1 San Jose will also include a portion of the Caltrain (JPBX) Line.

2 NCRY will be modelled in full.

3 BNSF will be modelled from Richmond to Martinez and BART will be modelled from Richmond to Fremont and out through Oakland and the TransBay Tube.

4 The CFNR connects to the old NWP at Lombard and the Napa Valley RR at Napa Junction. I will model onto the NWP as far North as Santa Rosa and South as Detour(Corte Madera), and the NVRR for about a mile or two.

5 The CFNR connecting to the UP runs out to South Gerber where it connects to the Valley Sub on the UP again.

ANY IDEAS/OFFERS/SUGGESTIONS are greatly appreciated! For more info visit http://franksrails.com and click on Microsoft Train Simulator Info for more!

Regards,

-Frank C.

#2 MFOS

MFOS

+ Mouth Full Of Spiders +

• Beta Tester
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

Well, I for one would like to see this one fullly realized. I grew up in the South Bay Area and all of those places listed, were my stompin grounds until I was about 15. So, yes sir I would love to see this route completed and ready to run trains on.

MFOS

#3 trainmaster55

trainmaster55

Road Foreman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:56 AM

I would very much like to see this route finished you've done a amazing job so far!

Alex

#4 L&N

L&N

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Yes, I would like to see it completed. I lived in the area during my younger days. I even remember the old Key System interurbans.

Jay

#5 fchrist16

fchrist16

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(trainmaster55 @ Mar 14 2009, 5:37 AM) View Post

I would very much like to see this route finished you've done a amazing job so far!

Alex

Noted and Noted. cool.gif

If you have any pictures of the areas send me a PM so I can arrange emailing help. smile.gif

Alex,

I have to restart from absolute scratch, so all the progess that was posted on my website has been effectively "wiped clean".

Regards,

-Frank C.

#6 WSOR

WSOR

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

from the pictures I saw on your website in looks like a great route! I think you should continue the great work!

#7 fchrist16

fchrist16

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(WSOR @ Mar 15 2009, 11:01 AM) View Post

from the pictures I saw on your website in looks like a great route! I think you should continue the great work!

Thanks, but consider all those pictures obsolete. It'll be close to that when I get back up to Oakland again but for now its blank.

Regards,

-Frank C.

#8 red

red

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Sorry about your total loss...but count me in as one who is very interested...as well as 4 or so people that I know who are eagerly awaiting the route.

#9 amtk775

amtk775

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

We're a-workin' on it!

#10 salopiangrowler

salopiangrowler

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

make that 5 people tongue.gif

#11 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Keep it going, Frank laugh.gif . I live in Benicia and have been patiently waiting on the Payware Cal-P, so the wait will be far less painful than a total loss, and your scope is wider than that route. With MSTSBin, the demise of MSTS was prematurely announced, and so far, RailWorks is in its infancy in terms of US routes.

Dave

#12 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

RW has a long way to go in terms of ease of use. Unlike MSTS and Mosaic with precise texturing of roads, tracks, and fields, RW has taken a step back into the 1990s by expecting people to draw a circle out of four squares. There is no precision in the terrain painting tool whatsoever, and no obvious way to import custom made textures (from what I've read). Ok, the program is no better than MSTS in regards to hidden surprises and annoying glitches. That I can deal with. But to compromise its true potential with such an awkward terrain painting mechanism puts me right off of it (at least until it is fixed if ever).

Textured paddocks, realistic edges, precisely textured ROW all seem to be out of the question, unless you're prepared for jaggedness everywhere.

#13 lelandfletcher

lelandfletcher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Dear Frank,

Sorry to hear about the route. I have been waiting for the route and hope you continue. It is a much needed route for SP fans. Everything is East from MP 0.0

Yours truly,
Leland

#14 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(SAR704 @ Apr 22 2010, 5:15 PM) View Post
RW has a long way to go in terms of ease of use. Unlike MSTS and Mosaic with precise texturing of roads, tracks, and fields, RW has taken a step back into the 1990s by expecting people to draw a circle out of four squares.

Awkward, perhaps, but certainly not a step backward. The internal painting tool in RW simply needs refinement. And FWIW, using Mosaic isn't all rosy either. Keep in mind that the number and size of the terrain textures alone required to do the ROW for a medium-sized route in MSTS using Mosaic can easily exceed the size of an entire route in RW. The Feather River, for example, uses over 7,000 terrain textures @ 512 x 512, which comes to just over 800Mb. Imagine using 1024 x 1024, and the size quadruples to 3.0Gb.

Cheers!
Marc

#15 bladesinger

bladesinger

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

I myself am always interested in any new material that someone has the knowledge, patience, and determination to create for all us train simmers. Even though it is frustrating that the previous version failed, I am sure we can all wait until you complete the new one. I for one, will definitely wait! Thanks Frank!

#16 destablized

destablized

New Hire

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(red @ Jan 9 2010, 5:58 PM) View Post
Sorry about your total loss...but count me in as one who is very interested...as well as 4 or so people that I know who are eagerly awaiting the route.

Count me in too...

S. Hjellum

NECS.

#17 fchrist16

fchrist16

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

It's still slowly making it's way North by North East. I have a small idea that I'm trying to take root and grow.

More progress to come...

Regards,

-Frank C.

#18 delamate

delamate

Porter

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE(fchrist16 @ Jun 12 2010, 6:26 PM) View Post

It's still slowly making it's way North by North East. I have a small idea that I'm trying to take root and grow.

More progress to come...

Regards,

-Frank C.

I am really pleased that you are continuing to work on this route. I went to high school in San Francisco and rode many East Bay trains, including SP to Sacramento. I would love to have this route in operation.

John DeLamater

#19 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE(SAR704 @ Apr 22 2010, 8:15 PM) View Post

RW has a long way to go in terms of ease of use. Unlike MSTS and Mosaic with precise texturing of roads, tracks, and fields, RW has taken a step back into the 1990s by expecting people to draw a circle out of four squares. There is no precision in the terrain painting tool whatsoever, and no obvious way to import custom made textures (from what I've read). Ok, the program is no better than MSTS in regards to hidden surprises and annoying glitches. That I can deal with. But to compromise its true potential with such an awkward terrain painting mechanism puts me right off of it (at least until it is fixed if ever).

Textured paddocks, realistic edges, precisely textured ROW all seem to be out of the question, unless you're prepared for jaggedness everywhere.

This is gotta be out of the Misinformed Guide To Railworks. I don't know where the poster is getting his info from but don't believe any of it. We can do the same thing in Railworks using decals but nobody does because just like in MSTS, covering a route in decals would bloat the route. What's a decal you ask? Just look at some of my steel mill pics in the Railworks thread and the ground images are decals. Mine are low-res and b&w (from GoogleEarth) meant for reference only.

And while the drawing tools aren't perfect, at least Railworks has them. When I was doing MSTS, what I wouldn't have given to have had drawing tools of any kind. And are the Railworks tools as clunky as the poster suggests? No way. Most of the communities agree that if Railworks has or does anything, its visuals. Nah, I'm not out to pick a fight but I couldn't believe the misinformation in that post. Even Marc could've told you the Feather River started out with some 30,000 Mosaic tiles reduced to the number it currently has because it would've been too costly to distribute.

Obviously the poster doesn't know Railworks and while I couldn't care less that he doesn't, there's no use in misinforming the public as such and that's why I posted. It is a very misinforming post.

Rich

#20 sierra38

sierra38

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

Frank,

As always I am pretty good at laying Scale Rail and I do love a good challenge and would like to try my hands at your route.

Let me know if I can help.

your friend
-Scale Rail Mike- cool.gif