Photo

Is It Me?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

I've tried to make several different activities where somewhere in the game, you couple the player train into another engine and move to that cab to operate. Whenever I do, the activity runs for about a minute then ends with a "out of fuel" message. It seems to me that I used to be able to do that, so maybe it's the Bin version. I'm using 1.7.0529. While we're at it, is there a later "stable" version of Bin?

#2 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

There needs to be a line in the eng file: EngineVariables ( 3600 ) Where the number equals the size of the fuel tank

#3 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

I don't think that's going to do it. With my C-19's on the RGS or D&RGW the engine variables are there for the full water but when I come into, say, Dolores and want to pick up a helper for the climb to Millwood summit and switch to the helper's cab in an activity like John is talking about you had better hightail it to the nearest water tank 'cause you are suddenly at zero! I will ususally take the 'new' power to the tank with the original engine and switch cabs there and immediately take on water. I wasn't aware that it would do the same thing with diesel fuel but the zero fuel on the element that runs down seems to be a constant in activities when you switch cabs.

#4 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

There needs to be a line in the eng file:

EngineVariables ( 3600 )

Where the number equals the size of the fuel tank

Kevin,
I'll assume you mean on the engine I'm tying into... I'll give it a try.
Herb,
I'm building an activity Eastbound (I know, I know ;) ) on Raton Pass III and the tie in will be at French, so it'd be quite a push to Raton, which I think is the next fuel point.

ADDED: OK! That works.
One thing I just discovered: If you start an activity with the player train moving, when you change cabs to one you just tied in to, the train is instantly going as fast as your start speed in the activity. :o

Edited by oldrailfan, 22 February 2009 - 03:59 PM.

#5 GaryG

GaryG

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hi The switching cabs speed jump has been discussed before, at Train-Sim I think. If you create an activity where cab switching is needed, you need to have the player consist stationary at the start of the activity to get around this MSTSbin glitch. GaryG

#6 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi

The switching cabs speed jump has been discussed before, at Train-Sim I think. If you create an activity where cab switching is needed, you need to have the player consist stationary at the start of the activity to get around this MSTSbin glitch.

GaryG

Thanx Gary,
I don't go to Train-Sim very often, so I probably missed it. Sure is wild to be parked and suddenly be going 25 MPH (or more) when you change cabs.

#7 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

An update: The "Engine Variables" line seems to solve the problem, so it's one more thing I check for when I put a new engine in service. I usually tuck it in just before the cab sound line at the bottom of the .eng file if there isn't already one in the file when I get it.