Photo

A few items we're working on...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

I figured a few here might be interested in seeing how ScaleRail is progressing, plus I wanted to see what they looked like with HDR enabled... smile.gif

(tweaked version of one of Rich Garber's routes)

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

WOW, scale rail fits the bill here real good Marc, the most prototypical track in the sim so far wink.gif

#3 mickoo

mickoo

Ticket Inspector

• 3DTrains
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:57 AM

Impressive as ever Marc smile.gif.

Best

Michael

#4 czj860427

czj860427

Railfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

Looks very nice!

#5 Boldri

Boldri

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Nice work, Marc.

Thank You for good news in those sad days. Few weeks back I decided to throw RS away and wait few months for upcoming MSTS2, but.... sad.gif sad.gif
I'd better go and find where is my DVD with RS and install it again.

#6 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

A few more using different textures...

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

Cheers!
Marc

#7 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

Marc, I can smell the creosote laugh.gif
RS has made scale rail come to life wink.gif

#8 JRaptor

JRaptor

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Things like this make me want to get into RS but I can't get past the fact that it seems like a kids game rather than a simulator... I have installed and re-installed RS several times hoping to get into it but I just can't, hopefully some of theses advancements will change my mind in the future.

#9 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

The best thing I can recommend when trying (or reinstalling) RS, is that both the MkI and MkII updates are installed.

For those who haven't purchased RS, forget the online demo - it's a poor indicator of the finished product. You can pick up a copy of RS for under $10 at Amazon or eBay.

My personal favorite thing about RS has to be, and unlike MSTS, that there's nothing to blow up when editing a route! You can do change after change, and then just go driving about to test your work. Building's a breeze in RS, and also there's no worry of memory leaks - at least, none that I've found. Plus it runs 10-times better than MSTS with 10-times the amount of scenery.

For example, a tile in MSTS is approximately 2000 x 2000 meters (2048 x 2048, to be exact), whereas a tile in RS is 1000 x 1000 meters. Even with MSTS Bin, you're limited to around 1700~2000 objects per tile. I loded 8,000 trees into a single tile in RS, and my FPS was around 24~30, and the trees contain alpha channels, and is 16-times the amount I could ever hope to squeeze into a tile in MSTS before worrying about blowing things up (8,000 x 4 = 32,000). Although it was taxing to have so many objects present, RS kept chugging away without complaining one bit. smile.gif

The physics aren't 100% accurate in RS, but neither are they in MSTS - each have their pluses and minuses. It would be interesting to get an unbiased opinion from a real trainman on what's good and bad about both, and like MSTS, perhaps some of these physic values can be changed...

There's also quite a bit to tinker with under the RS hood than in MSTS (graphics, displays, etc.). And if anyone's familiar with Microsoft's XNA Game Studio platform (basically C#), you'll be glad to know that many of the in-game shaders are open to edits and recompiling. There's also a curve utility available on one of the XNA sites where you might be able to tweak the physics in RS (I don't know - I haven't tried). smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#10 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

With RailWorks evolving at light speed, I pulled this up and was most pleasantly surprised biggrin.gif . The stock rail is satisfactory, but nothing holds a candle to Scale Rail for sheer beauty and detail--down to the spikes and ballast chunks. Having installed Scale Rail on MSTS routes wherever possible, I know firshand how the quality of the rail transforms a route from passable to stunning. laugh.gif

Marc, your work continues to be a revelation and a revolution rolled into one! Looking forward to the release of this product.

Dave