Photo
- - - - -

Athearn DCC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 brodywyrick

brodywyrick

Mechanic

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

I bought my first DCC ready engine in the form of an Athearn Dash 9 in the new BNSF colors as well as a Digitrax decoder with an 8 pin plug. When I went to my club to have my decoder programmed, I put the decoder plug in the receptacle things, (there is also, I guess, a "jumper board" with what looks to be another place to plug just the decoder itself into) and tried to run it on the factory-installed setting. The engine acted as if there wasn't a decoder in it at all, with both front and rear lights on, and wouldn't move, and fried my decoder. mad.gif Does anyone know what I should do to install my next decoder into my new P-42, if I should try the plug again, or try plugging it into the jumper board?

#2 SSW

SSW

Milwaukee-Southwestern Railroad

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(brodywyrick @ Jan 3 2009, 11:24 AM) View Post

I bought my first DCC ready engine in the form of an Athearn Dash 9 in the new BNSF colors as well as a Digitrax decoder with an 8 pin plug. When I went to my club to have my decoder programmed, I put the decoder plug in the receptacle things, (there is also, I guess, a "jumper board" with what looks to be another place to plug just the decoder itself into) and tried to run it on the factory-installed setting. The engine acted as if there wasn't a decoder in it at all, with both front and rear lights on, and wouldn't move, and fried my decoder. mad.gif Does anyone know what I should do to install my next decoder into my new P-42, if I should try the plug again, or try plugging it into the jumper board?

I can tell you why the decoder fried--- you didn't pull the jumper plug from the 9 pin socket. this Jumper board also called a shorting plug, "shorts" one rail across one leg of the motor, and the other rail across the other leg of the motor, then also shorts the appropriate leads of the lighting across. IF you plug in an 8 pin decoder into an 8 pin socket and don't unplug the jumper board from the 9 pin harness, you'll smoke the decoder.

Most Digitrax DH1X3 decoders have a 9 pin socket on the decoder itself. It's easiest just to unplug the jumper from the 9 pin harness and plug the decoder in there... That's what I've done with all of my Athearn RTR locomotives. (I use NCE D13SRJ decoders mostly, a couple of Digitrax DH123's and an TCS T6X round out my RTR decoders)

ON another note, I somehow managed to toast an NCE D13SRP (8 pin) decoder in an Atlas 8-40C- I plugged it in correctly and it fried. Still trying to figure that out. Guess I need to get the meter out and check for things not where they should be.

#3 brodywyrick

brodywyrick

Mechanic

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, I will have to try it that way this time. (: