Photo
- - - - -

...New project in the works...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 wongsing

wongsing

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:35 AM

Well, my SD40-2 project I have been talking to some of you about is finally underway...

Heres the model so far....

http://www.flickr.co...57608472402816/

Heres the one thats slightly bigger....

http://www.trainweb....t...4cs-b&o.jpg

This loco started out as one of the newer Athearn RTR SD40-2's. I might add that all of you that have not had the chance to one of these yet, they are MUCH better than the older SD40-2 line-up! the only reason I am going so far into adding details to this one is because I have never gone this far into building a locomotive. I am about 50% complete with it so far. Many details have still been not added to ease the painting process that will hopefully ensue in the very near future! As long as the paint goes on smoother than the brass steps, the TINY (pain in the @$$) lift rings, and the coupler cut bars, I'd say I won't have my first gray hair right after this is all over! LOL! Hope you guys enjoy the shots so far! I will post more as I get alittle further! Long live the kitty!

-Rich

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,092 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

Looks like you're off to a great start, Rich. Keep us posted on you progress. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#3 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

Nice unit Rich, are you working this project stateside or back in the trenches?

#4 wongsing

wongsing

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(milepost56 @ Oct 30 2008, 2:44 PM) View Post

Nice unit Rich, are you working this project stateside or back in the trenches?

Well, most of the trenches have been filled in since the 50's, but let me just say I'm about 75 miles from the DMZ...This whole place oughta be a trench if you ask me! wink.gif Yeah, still in Korea, and I know what you meant! tongue.gif I wish I had left some of my military stuff back home so I could've brought more model building supplies, but they should be in the mail soon if all goes well....Thanks guys for the compliment! And you KNOW that I will be filling you guys in all the way until I can put some rails underneath it!

-Rich

#5 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE(wongsing @ Oct 30 2008, 9:52 PM) View Post

Well, most of the trenches have been filled in since the 50's, but let me just say I'm about 75 miles from the DMZ...This whole place oughta be a trench if you ask me! wink.gif Yeah, still in Korea, and I know what you meant! tongue.gif I wish I had left some of my military stuff back home so I could've brought more model building supplies, but they should be in the mail soon if all goes well....Thanks guys for the compliment! And you KNOW that I will be filling you guys in all the way until I can put some rails underneath it!

-Rich

Rich,
75 Road miles, or "crow" miles?
It blew me away when I "Google Earth"ed the area I was stationed at during my 'visit' in 1966-67.
It was all farmland then, now it's built up with what appear to be high-rise apartments. (Google "Kimpo-Up" or "Tac Site" Northwest of Kim-Po airport )
When I was there, the whole place was a trench - a "Ben-Jo" trench! ohmy.gif (Do they still use that term?)