Photo

Newbie route builder's thanks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 gremlin1812

gremlin1812

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi all, Iím fairly new to MSTS but feeling rather adventurous decided to try to build a route so I first had to find out how to so after many hours of forum searches, googleing and much printing and stapling documents together so they donít get scattered I was ready to jump in boots and all.
To cut a long story short in less than a week I have done the terrain and created the track markers and am ready to start on laying track. It has not been without its hiccups but nothing that a bit of searching didnít fix. So to those starting out like I have my advice is research, search, search, search and more searching as it does pay off.
And to those who create tutorials and hints I say ďa picture is worth a thousand wordsĒ.
Many thanks to all those who take the time to share their knowledge in tutorials and hints/tips as without these I know I would not be where I have got to now.

Gremlin1812
Sydney, Australia

#2 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

Welcome aboard Gremlin1812, as this forum has the most professional and most experienced virtually of all the forums combined.

Over the years I have noticed that these (more advanced) moderators like any subject blessed with brevity, short and concise, and your anwers will come back in kind.

Finally, you mentioned hiccups, one good advice I have ever heard from these route builders, is we can't save file enough often, so do it after terrain withing a grid, save, lay some track 500' feet, should have saved at 100 feet.

MSTS 2 supposedly will be out this fall or by Christmas, last I read, check the website for the latest. Looks fantasic, and good luck.

Clickity-Clack!

#3 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

FWIW, TS2 is scheduled for a Q3~Q4 2009 release. wink.gif

BTW, welcome to the nut house, Gremlin1812. biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#4 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

You sure came to the right place for help wink.gif
Welcome aboard Gremlin1812 smile.gif

#5 trainmaster55

trainmaster55

Road Foreman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Haha Marc yea it's the grand nut house lol biggrin.gif ! Welcome gremlin1812 this is the best place for train sim info, and help! I've found it extremly helpful, and see the new products that are going to be coming out! You'll make some great friends too smile.gif ! Welcome again!

Alex