Photo

About DEMEX

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 cn bala

cn bala

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

I am not sure where to post my message here but am sure that Marc Nelson or others who are very familiar with this program, DEMEX. Anyway I have that program in registered mode on my desktop. Last evening I merge 10 DEM files together for my work-in-progress route on DEMEX. For some reasons the program did not show all 10 DEM files on the screen that I can see. Is 10 too many at a time or doesn't matter. I did not want to start again and thought at first that I should post my message here to see about this before go further to do in DEMEX. Now my question is that how many DEM files can DEMEX merge?

Thank you,

John P. Mackay
Belleville, ON Canada eh??

#2 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

10? Depends on the size of each file and available system memory. If the files are fairly large, then you may need to DEM the route in steps, merging only a few at a time. FWIW, the greatest number of DEMs I've had to "stitch" together was four, with each in 70~80mb range. Cheers! Marc

#3 cn bala

cn bala

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

10? Depends on the size of each file and available system memory. If the files are fairly large, then you may need to DEM the route in steps, merging only a few at a time. FWIW, the greatest number of DEMs I've had to "stitch" together was four, with each in 70~80mb range.

Cheers!
Marc

Hi Marc

OK each file of DEM is 9,069 KB so that means the total of 10 DEM files is 90690 KB and convert to 93.8 MB. It look like that I exceeded over a little which should be in 70~80 MB range. I am going to figure it out first how to merge 5 files at a time then the next 5 files to merge at a time. Or do I have to merge 4 files first then 4 files then 2 files that would make of 10 files together?? Not sure about system memory you mean the computer? If it is then I have 1GB memory in the computer. Let me know about this.

Thank you again,

John

#4 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

You might be better off retrieving seamless data all in one shot from the USGS site: http://seamless.usgs.gov . This will keep things nice and tidy in a single DEM file, and without holes and other artifacts.

Cheers!
Marc

#5 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hey Hack, how do you use the seamless DEM on DEMEX, I know how to use normal DEM but not the seamless, it seems to be in a different file format...

#6 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

There's an HTML guide that you'll find in the Demex folder. In it, it explains what to use and how. Cheers! Marc

#7 charlie

charlie

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:15 AM

...how do you use the seamless DEM on DEMEX, I know how to use normal DEM but not the seamless, it seems to be in a different file format...

This "guide" is tailored to the latest changes on the USGS seamless site.
http://forums.flight...515366#poststop

regards,
charlie