Photo
- - - - -

...On the Road Again...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

I've been telling everyone for several months that we were going to drive across country to my Mom's house to pick up some memorabilia that is too big to be mailed/UPS'ed.
We left Taylorsville about 9:00pm on the 17th, planning to dawdle our way across the U.S. and be in San Diego on the 28th. We got to Morganton (about an hour out) and stopped to eat, as we had not had supper with all the preparations. While eating, I realized I'd never loaaded the suit bag with all our "dressy" clothes, so back to T'ville we went... mad.gif
We decided we sleep the night at home and start over in the morning, but by about 12:30, we both realized we weren't going to sleep anyway, and everything was loaded, and so on, so we hit the road.
We got back to Morganton an on to I-40 about 1:30 am and went pedal-to-the-metal. First pit stop was at Newport TN for a quick bite and refuel. Just love that stretch between Asheville and there...Back on the road just in time to get to Knoxville for the mornng rush hour. sad.gif
Oh, trouble! ohmy.gif Overnight, I'd hit one of those recaps that peel off the truck with all too disturbing frequency. It was on the inside of a dark curve and I never saw it until I was on top of it. WHAM-BAM! It knocked the left side of the rear valence loose. When I could stop, I fixed it as well as I could, but it kept coming loose in the slipstream. Problem was, it tore the fasteners that hold the valence to the fender liner. Mid-morning somewhere near Nashville, Barb and I are laying under the car trying to figger out some way to re-attach the valence and liner, when a trucker stops to help. He attaches them back together with tie-wraps, and we tape the rest together with clear tape, and off we go. (So far, it's still holding - we'll fix it right when we get home)
We pushed through Nashville at lunch time, and Memphis just before the Afternoon rushhour. Got to Little Rock AR at the end of the rush hour, and gave up for the day and stopped in Morrilton. This was going to be a photo essay; however, we had heard trains, but hadn't seen any to this point.

...more to come...

#2 trainmaster55

trainmaster55

Road Foreman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

Where's the pictures huh.gif ?

#3 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(trainmaster55 @ Jul 27 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post

Where's the pictures huh.gif ?

...This was going to be a photo essay; however, we had heard trains, but hadn't seen any to this point.
...and I'll add to it as soon as I get a more reliable connection. wink.gif

#4 trainmaster55

trainmaster55

Road Foreman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(oldrailfan @ Jul 29 2008, 10:56 AM) View Post

...and I'll add to it as soon as I get a more reliable connection. wink.gif

Ok thanks!

Alex

#5 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Way out of sequence, but guess where Barb and I went on the way back to NC...

My First YouTube

A triple first... my first serious attempt at videography, my first upload, and my first time on the GCRR. Hope you like it.
Once I get home and get everything organized, I'll put together the promised photo essay. The trip has been interesting, though we're currently "holed up" in Pigeon Forge for a day or two recovering. wink.gif
Herb, Clif, sorry I didn't get a chance to visit. We were busy the whole time we were in CA, and didn't do half the things we planned. Mom said she wants us to come out again in November, but I don't know yet, and we WON'T drive.

#6 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

Sorry I missed you! Great video of the mike. Grand Canyon is a great operation. I rode on Thanksgiving weekend in '03 but haven't done the line in steam yet. One of these days.

#7 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:55 AM

That's actually the Consolidation, #29. The Mike is in "annuals."