Photo

Ozark Northern Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#21 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

St. Paul proper:

Note: All the sawmills were based on prototypes. In the late 19th century, St. Paul was touted itself as the "Hardwood Capital of The World". The Phipps Lbr Co. was the largest of them all, and is depicted so on the ON...

Attached Files

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Lastly, the railroad town of Esna (freelanced), Arkansas. Named after the arrival of the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas from the north. The ON and ES&NA tied the knot at this location and dutifully named the new town "Esna". To the north, the ES&NA (theoretically) ties in with the prototype Eureka Springs Rwy... which was by then contemplating expansion in a southeasterly direction toward Harrison, Arkansas. (Which it eventually did in the "real world"... and then on down to Helena, Arkansas. We all know the ES Rwy by the name of St. Louis & North Arkansas!)

Welp... this completes the maps!

Attached Files

#23 harperx

harperx

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

Great News, Andre! I am normally an early diesel fan, but the ON has really caught my imagination. I'm looking forward to it!

You've got a lot on your plate, so I wish you health, strength, and joy to keep up with your responsibilities. I've enjoyed your railroad stories so much on the forum.

Take care

Randy

#24 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thanks very much for the pics Andre. Any chance of a quick snap showing the whole route in the AE?

#25 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

Sure Michael,

Here you go:

Attached Files

#26 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for that. Looking great!

#27 steamed

steamed

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

Andre,

Hope you have a great time on your trip. In my opinion, $25 is too little for this route; activities or not. While there are 100s of routes for MSTS, there are few TOC routes. Using StL&NA as a benchmark, it would seem $40 is more reasonable price point.

On activities, one option is to create textual instructions; possibly including illustrations but not necessarily. There are plenty in the mod community who could impliment activities, if they knew what realistic TOC railroading was all about. You could simply, "tell us what to do". Just a thought.

#28 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi Steamed:

Actually, this thread has been revived, so some of the content is not current. The Colorado trip was in August of last year, and yup... we enjoyed it tremendously.

Thank you for your vote of support in expressing that you feel $40 would be appropriate. The jury is still out as to what will be the final price. I forgot that I'll have to account for bandwidth and CD costs, the former of which will be more on account of the size of the packaged route in comparison to the StLNA or the A&O. There is a LOT more custom terrtex involved. Still, at this point my feeling is that the $25-$30 range seems appropriate.

Route Update:

I dodged the passenger train one more Saturday!! So, I am devoting most of my weekend freetime to wrapping up loose ends on the Ozark Northern. I have proofed Intro 1 for typos and consistency. It is ready to go. I just finished creating/proofing Intro 2, and it is ready to go. Since I'm on a roll... I am going to take a look at a couple other acts that were developed to see if I can go ahead and fix/whatever those and get them out the door with the release. Who knows from there?

I will have to say that it's been a while since I've toyed with the ON, and I am surprised at how enjoyable the views and ON experience in the sim are. It should be a very fun route to live in virtually.

Anyrate, here's a couple pics from Intro Ride 2:

First up... sitting on the engine track at Zinc City looking out the cab of your steam engine... care to guess what type of engine you're sitting in?

Attached Files

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Glancing over across the cab... you see this arriving at the depot for a station stop. After the northbound passenger train pulls out, you'll be free to start your trip!

Attached Files

#30 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

While I was digging among the ON pics folder where I saved the above shots... I came across some ON snow scenes I snapped. Had in mind creating a Christmas card to share with all of you here at the VSC forums as well as other forums.

Unfortunately, something called "life" got in the way and the Christmas card idea fizzled.

BUT... here's a shot that was among the top picks for the card idea:

Attached Files

#31 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hmm, you mentioned something about bandwidth costs. Is this a hint that a download option is being considered? smile.gif

$25 is quite cheap compared to some other payware routes, and activity packs. But at the same time, wouldn't this help sales at a time when the MSTS payware market is volatile?

#32 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

Wow, Andre! After seeing those AE route maps, my mind starts to work. There are better TOC activity creators out there, but I might have to take a shot at one after release.

All of the best,

#33 EdavilleFan

EdavilleFan

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'd say we'er sitting in the Shay.

#34 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Michael:

I hope to offer a download option. Depends on how much the route can be trimmed for packaging and compressed for transfer. Right now the installed route is a whopping 330 megs for a SHORTLINE route. And that's not including the huge equipment assortment.

Steve:

It's a fun little route. I can't see any reason whatsoever that "operation" enthusiasts won't be able to exploit all the features I've built in for a loooong time to come. Off the top of the head, there looks to be the potential for:

1. North/South Red Ball bridge traffic freights.
2. North/South Drag bridge traffic freights.
3. North/South Locals freights.
4. Interchange drags
5. Yard classification switching in three towns. (Tuners Bend, Zinc City, St. Paul.)
6. Industry switchers in three different towns. (See above.)
7. Mine runs to Zinc City.
8. Mine switching on the Buckhorn Branch
9. Helper service.
10. Tonnage "turns" to the summit at Fly Gap.
11. Hot passenger trains.
12. Accomodation passenger trains.
13. Mixed freights.
14, 15, and ???

See whatta' mean??? Also, there's enough equipment to make this thing really come alive and be a very interesting virtual world.

EdavilleFan:

Right you are!

#35 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 17 2009, 1:33 PM) View Post

First up... sitting on the engine track at Zinc City looking out the cab of your steam engine... care to guess what type of engine you're sitting in?

Be still my sidewinding heart!

#36 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

smile.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  Shay.jpg   46.93KB   8 downloads

#37 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Careful! You'll cause Uncle Herb to seize up! biggrin.gif

#38 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Steve:

Wouldn't take much to cause Herb to seize up... would it? devil.gif

All:

I'm still pecking away at wrapping up loose ends... AND... since I'm having quite a bit of fun seeing the finished product come alive with some activities, I'm in the process of putting a few more simple acts together to ship with the route.

Was just testing an act and running No. 2 (First Class Passenger Train) and enjoying some 4 key views. As the engines slugged upgrade over Broken Link Trestle, we are again reminded that railroading can be some dangerous work! biggrin.gif

FWIW:

Speaking of dangerous work... actually it is! Just tonight at work I took the nose off of a semi-tractor that decided to dispute with my train as to who gets the right-of-way. Thankfully, no injuries to the (unobservant) trucker. Sheesh... this makes 3 grade crossing accidents in less than 2 years. sad.gif

Attached Files

#39 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

"It's the big one, 'Lizabeth!" blink.gif

#40 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

Looking good. I haven't bought any payware routes, but I think one has made my list of must haves. One minor thing though, wouldn't the wooden wagon have split into pieces on impact?