Photo

Route Bulding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 willyvee

willyvee

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hi everyone,
I need some advice. Does anyone know good sources for building a route? Ones that are acurate such as video, etc. I'm thinking about building a metra route but i need to know some good sources for getting accureate data to build the route. Im also thinking i may one day extend the surfliner route to Santa Barbara and on to san Luis Obispo...

I greatly appreciate your help smile.gif

#2 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(willyvee @ Jul 17 2008, 11:52 PM) View Post

Hi everyone,
I need some advice. Does anyone know good sources for building a route? Ones that are acurate such as video, etc. I'm thinking about building a metra route but i need to know some good sources for getting accureate data to build the route. Im also thinking i may one day extend the surfliner route to Santa Barbara and on to san Luis Obispo...

I greatly appreciate your help smile.gif

Do a search within this forum, i.e.: Route building, books, tuitorials, etc.

Seems like some one did, but name escapes me at the moment did an excellent tuitorial on route editing, plus free downloads to ease the workload, and some recommended payware to make much easier. Key rule number one I recall is, Save everytime, all the time, frequently as possible, to extend happiness, and avert depressions, self multilations and suicidal thoughts...
devil.gif rolleyes.gif

#3 derek

derek

Yardmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

Have a look here:-

http://steam4me.rail...ials/index.html

>Im also thinking i may one day extend the surfliner route to Santa Barbara and on to san Luis Obispo...

You won't be able to release it due to copyright problems.

>Ones that are accurate such as video

MSTS can't do that yet.

#4 willyvee

willyvee

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(derek @ Jul 20 2008, 10:48 PM) View Post

Have a look here:-

http://steam4me.rail...ials/index.html

>Im also thinking i may one day extend the surfliner route to Santa Barbara and on to san Luis Obispo...

You won't be able to release it due to copyright problems.

Yep, I was just going to do it for myself.

#5 ssw_96

ssw_96

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

There is a payware Guide To Route Building. I beleive it may be by Abacus.

#6 willyvee

willyvee

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(ssw_96 @ Jul 23 2008, 7:40 AM) View Post

There is a payware Guide To Route Building. I beleive it may be by Abacus.

Got that already-im looking for things that will help me get correct terrain elevations and acurrate scenery wacko.gif

#7 buzzbenz

buzzbenz

F40PHR

• 3DTrains
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(willyvee @ Jul 29 2008, 8:01 PM) View Post

Got that already-im looking for things that will help me get correct terrain elevations and acurrate scenery wacko.gif

You can use Demex to get you the correct terrain elevation. It's easier if you buy the full version, but you can do it with the free version too (just more work).

For accurate scenery, Google maps works well enough. There is another program, USA Photo Maps, i believe, that you can use and mark "waypoints" on a photo map of the US (and i think that uses Google Maps too smile.gif ). You can use many waypoints to "trace" out tracks, roads, whatever, then Demex can turn those into a marker file for MSTS use. All you do then is "connect the dots" to lay your track! Might be better, if you do that, to make your marker file for the tracks, then after that do some "key" roads, especially crossing, then finally the location of some key buildings (though depending on how insane you got on the roads you may not even need to do that smile.gif ). Street View in Google Maps, though not everywhere, can give you a good feel for the scenery.

#8 rlbarr

rlbarr

Track Layer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:01 AM

I would strongly suggest the Guide to Route Building by Michael Vone.

Bob Barrows

#9 20751

Railfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(buzzbenz @ Jul 31 2008, 10:56 AM) View Post

You can use Demex to get you the correct terrain elevation. It's easier if you buy the full version, but you can do it with the free version too (just more work).

For accurate scenery, Google maps works well enough. There is another program, USA Photo Maps, i believe, that you can use and mark "waypoints" on a photo map of the US (and i think that uses Google Maps too smile.gif ). You can use many waypoints to "trace" out tracks, roads, whatever, then Demex can turn those into a marker file for MSTS use. All you do then is "connect the dots" to lay your track! Might be better, if you do that, to make your marker file for the tracks, then after that do some "key" roads, especially crossing, then finally the location of some key buildings (though depending on how insane you got on the roads you may not even need to do that smile.gif ). Street View in Google Maps, though not everywhere, can give you a good feel for the scenery.

do you know how to convert a route to scale rail? Cause i want to convet the Marias Pass 3.1 to scale rail but i don't know how to in the editor.

#10 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(20751 @ Aug 10 2008, 3:18 PM) View Post
do you know how to convert a route to scale rail? Cause i want to convet the Marias Pass 3.1 to scale rail but i don't know how to in the editor.

The easiest method is to edit the entries in the World files using Wordpad. However, it's not for the faint of heart, as you can easily blow up a route if you make even a minor mistake.

Cheers!
Marc