Photo
- - - - -

Waiting in Albuquerque

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

I took #3 (Southwest Chief) from Albuquerque to Fullerton on June 25-26. Due to the Midwest flooding and locomotive issues our train was about 7 1/2 hours late into ABQ.

So while waiting I caught a movie, a bite to eat, and some photos. The GrandLuxe (formerly American Orient Express) was parked in ABQ so that was a rare treat to see.

Here are few of the photos taken while waiting for the Chief:

GrandLuxe

IPB Image

IPB Image

Rail Runner

IPB Image

Local BNSF switcher

IPB Image

Late #3

IPB Image

Rare daylight Barstow, with a rare visitor

IPB Image

#2 CoastStarlight86

CoastStarlight86

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

Great shots matt. Wish I had the money to ride the GrandLuxe cool.gif

Lately i've noticed both #3 and 4 have been chronicly late the past couple weeks. The other night I walked outside, heard a K5LA, fisrt thing on my mind...NS? Nope, it was #4 running over and hour late out of Fullerton 8:55pm (I would assume a late LA departue as well). Rolled through here at about 9:15 ish. So the floods have effected the whole route in one way or another.

Nice catch of the Soo SD60 in Barstow too!

#3 MrFuzzums

MrFuzzums

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

Nice catches. I headed out to Ashland (VA) once on a rumor that the GLE was supposed to be coming through, but 'twas not to be. The Juice Train was my consolation prize that day.

#4 Coast Starlight

Coast Starlight

Road Foreman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:25 AM

Dang nice shots!!! I have been to that Albuquerque station platform before. I have actually ridden the New Mexico Railrunner commuter train.

#5 kodachrome9319

kodachrome9319

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Coast Starlight @ Jul 7 2008, 6:06 AM) View Post

Dang nice shots!!! I have been to that Albuquerque station platform before. I have actually ridden the New Mexico Railrunner commuter train.

That ex-SOO SD60 made a brief visit to Richmond from the Z-ALTSTO8, and then went back out the next day on the M-RICBAR.

#6 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

Glad you liked the photos.

I'll be taking the Chief again soon. Scheduled on #4 from Fullerton, CA to Lamy, NM on August 1-2. I hope the Chief tardiness is gone by then, but we'll see. My bigger concern is what sleeping car I'll get. I'm hoping for a refurbished Superliner I...fingers crossed.

#7 CoastStarlight86

CoastStarlight86

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(Southwest Chief @ Jul 8 2008, 9:32 AM) View Post

My bigger concern is what sleeping car I'll get. I'm hoping for a refurbished Superliner I...fingers crossed.

I got the chance to tour one of the refurbished Superliner I's at Fullerton RR days, very nice. The first time I rode the Starlight in 05' we had one of these, it was repainted, but not refurbished dry.gif . I have the same concern about the Starlight, I always hope its on the ocean side. I'm making my reservations tonight for August 21 from LA to Oakland, hoping they put me in sleeper 1432, which is next to the dorm. Less foot traffic, and closer to the head end, so I can hear that chuggin' and K5LA. Last year I was in 1431, I liked it, 1432 would have been better though.

But the part i'm most happy about, THEY WONT BE PUTTING THE SLEEPERS ON THE BACK THIS YEAR! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#8 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(CoastStarlight86 @ Jul 8 2008, 11:09 AM) View Post

I got the chance to tour one of the refurbished Superliner I's at Fullerton RR days, very nice.

I toured that car too. Was it a complete rebuild? I didn't check the restrooms to be sure. Wish I had the car number to check. It was displaying 0430 in the number slots near the end of the car upstairs, so it definitely came from the Southwest Chief pool of cars.

On this last trip from ABQ, #3 had two fully refurbished sleepers. 32068 was our car and the other one was 32006. Also in the consist were two dead heading Surfliner coaches likely redone at Beech Grove. They were next to the locos and in front of the baggage car.

Here are some other Barstow photos (not the best quality but the train was moving pretty good through here and the window was pretty dirty):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#9 CoastStarlight86

CoastStarlight86

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Southwest Chief @ Jul 8 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post

I toured that car too. Was it a complete rebuild? I didn't check the restrooms to be sure. Wish I had the car number to check.

The car number was 32032, I didn't check the restrooms either...

#10 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(CoastStarlight86 @ Jul 8 2008, 6:52 PM) View Post

The car number was 32032

According to my list, 32032 is a partial rebuild. It has new paneling and upholstery, but not the new sinks.

#11 kodachrome9319

kodachrome9319

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(Southwest Chief @ Jul 9 2008, 9:11 AM) View Post

According to my list, 32032 is a partial rebuild. It has new paneling and upholstery, but not the new sinks.

Ehh, screw the S1's and S2's... I'm racking up 6,000 Long Distance Amtrak miles in July/August, and not much time will be spent in the sleeper... #11/14 have parlours (3 trainsets as of today running with a PPC), and the Zephyr has a lounge. It works for me. smile.gif

#12 Coast Starlight

Coast Starlight

Road Foreman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(kodachrome9319 @ Jul 7 2008, 9:31 AM) View Post

That ex-SOO SD60 made a brief visit to Richmond from the Z-ALTSTO8, and then went back out the next day on the M-RICBAR.

Hard core! Wish I could have gotten shots of it.