Photo

What's next for All Aboard?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

Somebody put a post up at train-sim about the East Metro being Mr. Garber's last route or is this the last route for MSTS, something like that. The thread degraded real fast into the usual what's wrong with RS/MSTS but at least I got a Mister out of it. Not bad, huh? Let's talk about the future of MSTS and All Aboard for a moment. But give me a minute to savor that Mister a little longer, okay? *sits back sipping rootbeer float taking in the scenery* Good enough.

Now I've been called a lot of things since getting active in MSTS and the one I liked the most was when a certain fella called me the MSTS Godfather. He was kinda mad at me cause he stole some product and you know its traditional to always get mad at the person who you got caught stealing from. But nonetheless I did like being labeled the Godfather of MSTS. So let me, as the Godfather of MSTS, put on my *Godfather music playing in background* and address ya all, the family. *hears the sound of concrete slippers being made for a certain fella who said he'd be buying EMRR and hasn't done it yet* You did get yours, didn't you? *closes door*

This is all tenative as retirement is always weighing heavily on my mind so I can venture once again into endeavors of unprofitable pursuit like I did the last time. But otherwise I'm planning on doing 10 more activities that feature Cameron Lashley's SD7s along with Dick's rolling stock which would bring the number of activities to 36 for the East Metro. And then there's the possibility of doing an East Metro expansion. Now I have to explain it was my request to get Dick to do the GG1 cause I thought I would like to do a prototype route again. However, I had so much fun doing the East Metro that I'm seriously thinking of expanding the Class A's. I'm thinking of electrifying the Big City branch so we can run the GG1s on it. The rest of the route would be unelectrified. I could probably have it out by late November I would think depending how long I make it.

As for the future of MSTS. I don't think the future of MSTS is the issue. Rather, the issue seems to be the future of the forums for MSTS. What I mean is, if we have lost anybody it's the steamers and 1st generation diesel crowd. Not that they're gone from MSTS, but gone from the forums. Now I'm not complaining but a lot of you that are still here could help with that situation by not letting posts with 1st generation diesels and steamers, drop like a rock, like they do.

MSTS lives on where others don't because the MSTS community is a makeup of users who have a historical interest in railroading, are rivet counters, specialize in something pertinent to railroading. And because everybody seems to have an opinion on everything, it makes for good reading. Some of you guys are just gonna have to get over that some of these kids can't write spell or even breathe properly. But if you pull your support from the forums, they'll take over. There are all kinds of data to suggest msts is very much alive and strong in our daily activities. Just remember why you are here. It's all about Railroading.

Forget about the RS/MSTS debate and why the real world is so screwed up. Take off your shoes, come on in and have a seat and let's talk about railroading!

So if you're a steam fan, post pictures of what you're doing. If you're an All Aboard fan, post the pictures!! I've seen awesome pictures of Canton come from people I never heard of before or since and included them in that slideshow video I made. The point is, people find out there's excellent payware and freeware available if you talk about it.

You look at what Tim and Rod post and you can't help but drool. For the first time ever I had a chance to run my copy of Feather River and I love the sounds that comes from the rolling stock. They tell me at OVS while there isn't much talking taking place, folks are running as many activities as ever. The more you contribute, the more you will get out of this hobby. So get back into the thick of things if you're a first generation guy or a steamer.

Me? I think the new stuff looks... uh... okkkaaayyyyy, but they don't excite me like the old, older stuff does. Ole Ming there at Vscale Creations is sittin' on his finished Ozarkian route cause he doesn't think anybody will want it because... class?... all he sees are people posting pics of the current generation locomotive stuff. I happen to disagree with his thinking but there's no changing that man's mind if I'm the only one saying it.

Okay, I've said my piece. Don't be sittin' around and waiting for the other guy to do it. It's gotta be you.

And that's my state of the hobby address for All Aboard and MSTS for the year 2008. If you have any questions, take it up with Alberto or Gina, I'm outta here for some pasta.

Rich Garber
Self-appointed MSTS Godfather

#2 cbblackard

cbblackard

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

That was my thread. I was simply pondering whether payware authors would henceforth focus on the upcoming MSTS-X, thus making EMRR the last -- or close to the last -- payware route for the original MSTS.

Not to my suprise, the thread quickly veered off-topic to other issues.

While I would love to see more stuff for the original MSTS, I hope to see payware authors jumping on the MSTS-X bandwagon so that quality add-ons become available fairly soon after MSTS-X is released. Like a lot of folks, I didn't become interested in MSTS until it was almost three years old -- i.e. when there was plenty of payware (and freeware) stuff available to make the sim really interesting.

#3 billmoyer

billmoyer

Fireman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

Rich,

Check Andre's forum. See what you started. devil.gif We'll see if the silent majority speaks up. wink.gif wink.gif

Bill

#4 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

OH OHHHHHH... Time for another Going Out Of Business Sale?? Anybody care to purchase a very worn looking Route Editor for real cheap!!??

Anonymous

#5 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hey, now wait just a moment Rich old buddy, old friend!!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

I am too going to be buying that copy of EMRR, just as soon as the dumb bank huh.gif blink.gif sad.gif gets done straightening out the mess they made of my CC by posting a whole bunch of charges I never made to it!! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif Soon as the new card arrives I will be right in line, you can stake your bottom dollar on that!!!

As for likes and dislikes, I think we all have those and it probably has to do with the railroading we grew up with. Me, I like the 50's and 60's, my teen years, when all the current modern locomotives didn't exist and it took more motive power to haul the same number of cars. Or the days when steam was ending and diesels were just taking over in a big way.

Paul

#6 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

First of all, this can't be the same Paul Precht I know, cause for starters, my post is longer than yours. WHO ARE YOU, you Paul Precht impersonator!!?? And two, how'd you know I was talking about you? You're good! laugh.gif Actually, I was just making a joke! But good one Paul, I gotta chuckle out of that. But now that I think of it, you owe me a music CD purchase, ain't that right? *thinking* I can't remember for sure, but I think that was you. Anyway, I know I spoke to somebody about it that. - Rich

#7 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(rgarber @ Jun 18 2008, 7:14 AM) View Post

What I mean is, if we have lost anybody it's the steamers and 1st generation diesel crowd. Not that they're gone from MSTS, but gone from the forums. Now I'm not complaining but a lot of you that are still here could help with that situation by not letting posts with 1st generation diesels and steamers, drop like a rock, like they do.

So get back into the thick of things if you're a first generation guy or a steamer.

Me? I think the new stuff looks... uh... okkkaaayyyyy, but they don't excite me like the old, older stuff does. Ole Ming there at Vscale Creations is sittin' on his finished Ozarkian route cause he doesn't think anybody will want it because... class?... all he sees are people posting pics of the current generation locomotive stuff. I happen to disagree with his thinking but there's no changing that man's mind if I'm the only one saying it.

Rich Garber
Self-appointed MSTS Godfather

Rich,

First generation diesel is why I just backdated the Allegheny Rail Route Activity Generator template from NS to B&O. Others are wanting to go back in time a bit also -- for instance, Richard Shirey is working on a '40's - '50's version of the L&HR. The recently released FJ&G route by Paul Charland is '40's - '50's.

I agree with you about the plethora of "current" rolling stock. Endless requests for the latest GEVO, whatever that is, show up day after day in the forums. The advent of WP F's and old U-boats in the WP3 route was sooooo refreshing.

I haven't spent a dime on a GEVO yet, but I have purchased a bunch of F's, old Alco's and GE's. Most of my rolling stock still have the running board on top. Yes, I enjoy chasing trains even though it is modern, but my quest is always for the older locos and rolling stock, if I can find it. Hence my MSTS collection is mostly older stock.

#8 LooseCannon17

LooseCannon17

Station Clerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

OH OHHHHHH... Time for another Going Out Of Business Sale?? Anybody care to purchase a very worn looking Route Editor for real cheap!!??

Anonymous

You have a copy of the RE that actually works? devil.gif

#9 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

On Tuesdays... well.. 3rd Tuesday of every month... yeah... well, if the moon is full... and it isn't raining. Works great. Well... maybe not great. Maybe more like okay. Come to think of it, I don't think it's ever worked. Yeah, that's it. Does that clarify it better? blush.gif

Rich

#10 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Hi Rich;
Cumberland is crying for your tender touch. Like a couple mines and a switch back down Harlin way.

#11 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hi David. I tried extending Cumberland last year I think it was. I demmed, laid some track and then quit. sad.gif I am toying with a quick update for Cumberland though, to bring it up to par with East Metro since there are similarities. Just toying with that idea... just toying. In fact, forget I said anything of it. You didn't hear it from me. In fact, who said that!!!??? Plans are still fuzzy at this point. I'd like to do a PRR route, or expand on East Metro, or just plain RETIRE!!! devil.gif Nah, we'll see. I'm right in the middle of these ten new activities for East Metro. Thanks for asking.

Did David say tender???? blink.gif wacko.gif

Rich

#12 kcjones

kcjones

Uncivil engineer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

Yes he said tender. I think it's a hint for a steam version unsure.gif

#13 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:08 AM

Rich,

Not to mention he just got Dick's new Reading camelback 2-8-0 as I did and are looking at possibilities for it.

Paul

#14 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

Oh yeah? Dick, you did a camelback? Cool engines. Was this done in 3d canvas?

Rich

#15 kcjones

kcjones

Uncivil engineer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

Yes so it comes under my new range of donation ware steam locos.
Along with the 2-8-0 there are two 0-6-0 camelback switchers (Both in the same pack) biggrin.gif

A sort of bogoff!!!!!

IPB Image