New Mexico and California Adventures!
Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:46 PM
1. Being the commuter railroad person I am, the New Mexico Rail Runner was on my list of things to do. However, a stop in Williams, AZ for the Grand Canyon Railway was in order. Ex-AMTK F40PH-2 239 sits with the American Orient Express in Williams.
2. The 10:30 train out leaves Williams.
3. And again.
1. After arriving Albuquerque.
2. AMTK 4 sitting in the depot.
3. About to board at ABQ.
4. AMTK 3 passing a semaphore at MP890 on the Glorieta Subdivision just south of Bernalillo, NM.
And now for Southern California.
1. Ft. Worth lost control of Fullerton Jct at 5:00PM PST on Monday. They got it back at 7:00, just enough time for every rush hour train to have to hand-throw switches. Here, a northbound Pacific Surfliner lines switches from mains two to one.
2. The next day, Tuesday, I went hunting for my coastal running shots. It was cloudy/foggy all day south of San Jaun Capistrano. Oh well! A northbound Metrolink traverses San Clemente beach.
3. Today I did the pass. A lot of what I saw was backlit, this and that. Daggett once again turned out to be the money spot. A UP Army Train from Ft. Irwin comes out onto the main as a BNSF baretable train flys down the hill.
4. I had already chased a Warbonnet up Cajon Blvd earlier in the day. Didn't think i'd get a second one, much less one in perfect light.
Tis all for now.
Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:02 PM
Thanks for sharing john, sorry for the high temps, but we do specialize in them.
Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:13 PM
Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:43 AM
The only one that showed up at my end was the one at Fullerton Jct. - which is on a par with your normal fantastic work... (The photo, that is )
Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:44 PM
Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:01 PM
Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:11 PM
Boy, I'm jealous. I'd love to get back out there (or in the case of New Mexico, go there) and do some photography and train chasing. The last two times I went to the Left Coast, it was not under the best of circumstances, and definitely not time for railfanning.
BTW, the problem that you had with the coast is called "June Gloom" in the San Diego area; AFAIK, it happens all up-and-down the coast (at least as far North as Monterey) so you can guess how many sunny days you'd have found this time of year. Be glad you weren't totally "socked in" and got what you did.
Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:42 PM
Thanks to all! Been havin' a good time, but it'll be nice to be home Saturday.
Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:02 PM
Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:37 PM
Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:32 PM
Planned on taking a trip to ABQ this October. The idea was to get off at ABQ and get on the #3 back to LA and only be there a couple hours, but you never know, if 4 is running late, I may miss 3! So I scrapped the idea and made reservations for the Starlight (of course) instead. I go on one long distance Amtrak trip every year, was kinda looking forward to ABQ, I also wanted to ride the rail runner, but seems i'll be taking last year's trip again this year. I don't mind that at all!
Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:06 AM
Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:24 PM
If I were you my friend, i'd do the 4 to 3 trip. The Chief got into ABQ early the day I was there!
Better idea, lay over in ABQ for a night...
Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:49 PM
Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:33 PM
Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:42 PM