Photo
- - - - -

New Mexico and California Adventures!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

Well, i've been on vacation the last week and a half here, and I thought i'd share with ya'll my photos from the last week and a half. First we start with New Mexico.

1. Being the commuter railroad person I am, the New Mexico Rail Runner was on my list of things to do. However, a stop in Williams, AZ for the Grand Canyon Railway was in order. Ex-AMTK F40PH-2 239 sits with the American Orient Express in Williams.
IPB Image

2. The 10:30 train out leaves Williams.
IPB Image

3. And again.
IPB Image

Onto ABQ!

1. After arriving Albuquerque.
IPB Image

2. AMTK 4 sitting in the depot.
IPB Image

3. About to board at ABQ.
IPB Image

4. AMTK 3 passing a semaphore at MP890 on the Glorieta Subdivision just south of Bernalillo, NM.
IPB Image

And now for Southern California.

1. Ft. Worth lost control of Fullerton Jct at 5:00PM PST on Monday. They got it back at 7:00, just enough time for every rush hour train to have to hand-throw switches. Here, a northbound Pacific Surfliner lines switches from mains two to one.
IPB Image

2. The next day, Tuesday, I went hunting for my coastal running shots. It was cloudy/foggy all day south of San Jaun Capistrano. Oh well! A northbound Metrolink traverses San Clemente beach.
IPB Image

3. Today I did the pass. A lot of what I saw was backlit, this and that. Daggett once again turned out to be the money spot. A UP Army Train from Ft. Irwin comes out onto the main as a BNSF baretable train flys down the hill.
IPB Image

4. I had already chased a Warbonnet up Cajon Blvd earlier in the day. Didn't think i'd get a second one, much less one in perfect light.
IPB Image

Tis all for now.

#2 B32BWH

B32BWH

Engineer Trainee

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:02 PM

Agh, all the real railroads are up in the Bay Area wink.gif. Got us a nice big ole steam engine just like they do, only ours is prettier :-P

Thanks for sharing john, sorry for the high temps, but we do specialize in them.

#3 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

Eh, 90 degrees was nice and comfortable for me. I didn't complain.

#4 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

unsure.gif unsure.gif Nice captions, where's the photos?
The only one that showed up at my end was the one at Fullerton Jct. - which is on a par with your normal fantastic work... (The photo, that is blush.gif)

#5 trainmaster55

trainmaster55

Road Foreman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

Yea I can't see them either!

#6 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Post fixed. Enjoy!

#7 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

Nice shots "Shovel", I think the best one is the semaphore shot as those will no doubt be history soon. How is the train count versus here at home?

#8 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

On the ATSF? It's about the same. Train after train for an hour, dead for a bit, then it starts right back up again. Fullerton is quite the busy place with Amtrak and Metrolink being thrown into the mix.

#9 northland

northland

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

great shots J........the one on the coast is awesome!

CG

#10 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

OK, now they're all here... Nice Pics!
Boy, I'm jealous. I'd love to get back out there (or in the case of New Mexico, go there) and do some photography and train chasing. The last two times I went to the Left Coast, it was not under the best of circumstances, and definitely not time for railfanning.
BTW, the problem that you had with the coast is called "June Gloom" in the San Diego area; AFAIK, it happens all up-and-down the coast (at least as far North as Monterey) so you can guess how many sunny days you'd have found this time of year. Be glad you weren't totally "socked in" and got what you did.

#11 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

Clif explained the "June Gloom" to me. I was sad, slightly. Without the clouds, I wouldn't have been able to shoot the northbounds. Would've been majorly backlit.

Thanks to all! Been havin' a good time, but it'll be nice to be home Saturday.

#12 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

Outstanding work as usual young Master Means! Hope to make another trip to the homeland soon, we shall see,...

#13 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thank you Grand Master Kellehar. The Homeland awaits you!

#14 CoastStarlight86

CoastStarlight86

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Great shots, I really like the one with AMTK 3 and the semaphore.

Planned on taking a trip to ABQ this October. The idea was to get off at ABQ and get on the #3 back to LA and only be there a couple hours, but you never know, if 4 is running late, I may miss 3! So I scrapped the idea and made reservations for the Starlight (of course) instead. I go on one long distance Amtrak trip every year, was kinda looking forward to ABQ, I also wanted to ride the rail runner, but seems i'll be taking last year's trip again this year. I don't mind that at all! biggrin.gif

#15 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

If I were you my friend, i'd do the 4 to 3 trip. The Chief got into ABQ early the day I was there!

#16 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(NW 1218 @ Jun 13 2008, 1:47 PM) View Post

If I were you my friend, i'd do the 4 to 3 trip. The Chief got into ABQ early the day I was there!

Better idea, lay over in ABQ for a night...

#17 Coast Starlight

Coast Starlight

Road Foreman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

Very hard core pics!!! I have ridden on that New mexico Railrunner and also been to some of those spots in your southern California pics.

#18 Major Ursa

Major Ursa

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

Nuice pics there. I noticed in the picure of the diesel with the Warbonnet scheme that there was a Norfolk Southern locomotive behind it.

#19 NW 1218

NW 1218

Lewis Black

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

NS and BNSF often borrow each other's power. Nothing new to me! I'm glad the ATSF unit was leading. I've got to admit, I saw a lot more Warbonnets leading than I thought I would. I think it totalled to five or six over a three day span with railfanning on the BNSF only taking place part of the day two out of three.

#20 akajim

akajim

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

Great shots as usual, Little John !
Ron K of Rockford foof.gif