Photo

No Prime Mover sound

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

Just purchased and installed the B&O F-Unit set and have a sound problem. I hear everything except the prime mover. I get the horn,the bell, the track sounds, the in cab sounds but no diesel engine. I have tried using them in both a prepackaged activity and in explore route mode with no change in the sounds. I am running the latest bin (1.7.102222).

I just rechecked, and the problem now exists with all of my 3DTrains F Units. All other sounds are there, except for the diesel engine.

Duncan

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:23 AM

What are your in-game sound sliders set to? The sound set has been out for a long while now, and I'm unaware of any issues.

Cheers!
Marc

#3 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

All sliders are maxed out. The top three are set at 1.0 and the bottom is set at High. I have just installed the latest bin. I was running an earlier version the last time I tried the other F Units I had purchased. The B&O F Units were installed after the bin update.

Duncan

#4 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:03 AM

Except for the horns, the B&O set uses the same sound files as the other v4 sets.

So, did the other sets work fine prior to installing Bin? When you installed Bin, did you select the added sound buffers? (Sorry, I don't recall what exactly the Bin menu showed.)

Cheers!
Marc

#5 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

Ok, now it's getting weird. I just un-installed bin, rebooted the entire system and reloaded the activity and still no diesel sounds. I reinstalled the bin and get the same results. I have all the other sounds, compressor, track rumble, clicks for the control movements, but still no diesel. I even tried the different sound options of the bin, with no difference.

And I just checked my Feather River installation. The F Units there still run flawlessly.

Duncan

#6 NorthernElectric

NorthernElectric

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(dcushing @ Apr 6 2008, 8:40 AM) View Post

Ok, now it's getting weird. I just un-installed bin, rebooted the entire system and reloaded the activity and still no diesel sounds. I reinstalled the bin and get the same results. I have all the other sounds, compressor, track rumble, clicks for the control movements, but still no diesel. I even tried the different sound options of the bin, with no difference.

And I just checked my Feather River installation. The F Units there still run flawlessly.

Duncan

Sir, BIN and 3DTrains has nothing to do with it. When you load MSTS you have an option menu in the top right corner. Click on it. Go to "Sounds" and max out (to the right) the slider under all sound sections. That should fix your problems. If it does not then you may have to look at what your computer is equipped with.

#7 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(up1996 @ Apr 6 2008, 11:02 AM) View Post

Sir, BIN and 3DTrains has nothing to do with it. When you load MSTS you have an option menu in the top right corner. Click on it. Go to "Sounds" and max out (to the right) the slider under all sound sections. That should fix your problems. If it does not then you may have to look at what your computer is equipped with.

Sir, if you will read my earlier post, I already stated that I have all the sliders maxed out, and that the problem only appeared after installing the B&O F Units. I mentioned BIN so that Marc would have as much information as I could give him. My computer has been running Marc's F Units for several years, so I don't think the problem is on my end. I may be wrong, but I don't believe so.

Duncan

#8 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

As I mentioned, except for the horn, the sound files used for the B&O set are the same as those for other v4 units. Nevertheless, I'll have a look at the SMS files to see if I overlooked anything.

Cheers!
Marc

#9 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

Work fine on my system. Also Sounds test OK with ConBuilder.

#10 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

Duncan - could you provide the specifics for your sound setup? I'm using junkie on-board sound (haven't got around to getting a good sound card), and the set appears to work fine.

Cheers!
Marc

#11 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

Marc, I'm running a Sound Blaster X-Fi straight from the box. No modifications at all.

Duncan

#12 joebandit

joebandit

joebandit

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

Also needed is the speaker settings, and how many do You have physically attached.

example: 2, 4, 5.1 or 6.1 speakers that are setup in the control panel and in the creative sound settings, it does make a difference. When You run the diagnostics on the speakers are sounds coming out of all of them properly?

#13 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

Not running speakers, I'm running a Sony MDR-V150 headset giving Dynamic Stero sound. I know you would like to hear that I'm having all kinds of problems, but I'm not. Everything else sounds fine, both in Train-Sim and other games and music. the only thing I am not hearing is the diesel engine sounds on the v4 F-Units.

Duncan

#14 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:04 AM

Do the following files exist on your system?
...\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\TRAINS\TRAINSET\3DTrains_FPack\Sound\FUnit_x_ac_eng_#.wav where # = 1 to 6
and
...\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\TRAINS\TRAINSET\3DTrains_FPack\Sound\FUnit_ac_eng_#.wav again # = 1 to 6

#15 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

Yes those files are there. It also occured to me that my sound card is fairly new, and I cannot sware that I have actually run and of the v4 Units since it was installed.

Duncan

#16 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(dcushing @ Apr 9 2008, 5:54 AM) View Post

Yes those files are there. It also occured to me that my sound card is fairly new, and I cannot sware that I have actually run and of the v4 Units since it was installed.

Duncan

OK when you double click on those files what do you hear?

#17 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

Which X-Fi card do you own? FWIW, there are several, including one Creative pawns off as an X-Fi card, but actually uses an Audigy chipset.

Cheers!
Marc

#18 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(dcushing @ Apr 8 2008, 7:17 PM) View Post

Not running speakers, I'm running a Sony MDR-V150 headset giving Dynamic Stero sound.

When using the headset, are all available channels being directed to the headset output? The sound setting is set to headset and not to one of the 5.1 or other multi-channel surround sound options?

#19 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Ok, a couple of answers for y'all. First off, Marc, I cannot locate the box that the sound card came in, all I'm going on in the info listed in my Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices setting.
Second, and this one is interesting, when I click on the sound files, my Winamp program plays diesel prime mover sounds. They play loud and clear.

Duncan