A look at the N. American release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_djt_*

Guest_djt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Here are some quick screens of the N. America release. Iíll put some more up of different equipment when I get a chance.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 tgalbardi

tgalbardi

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Great screenies! The frame rate looks pretty good too. smile.gif

#3 Guest_djt_*

Guest_djt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

Here are some more from around the Barstow and Alray area.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#4 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Well I quite like the sagebrush... right color, size, density. Perfect. OTOH rock formations like that are soooo hard to get right. Some of it works very well, others are, IMO, a miss.

I always ignore the locomotive and rolling stock... I don't ever consider them as part of what you look at when evaluating a route and so they'll get evaluated against like models later on.

I don't have Cajon for MSTS so I've no basis for comparing it to RS. Anyone want to comment on the two in a side by side?

#5 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

biggrin.gif
The sage brush is nice . The track looks better than default MSTS but the crossties look rather poorly done. All in all nice but not real impressive. Doesn't look any better than TP-II with 3DTrains enhancement pkg. Just my opinion thou. If the crossties track are fixed it would greatly improve my opinion. foof.gif

#6 Surflegg

Surflegg

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

After a very long wait to view these pictures (still on dialup unfortunately), I'd say this is far better than the original MSTS Cajon Pass Route (I have yet to see Marc's Scalerail enhancement); the terrain textures blow the old Cajon out of the water, not to mention the old Cajon had a lack of sagebrush, not to mention roads and buildings...). As I recall though, that bridge over the Mojave is still wrong (isn't it supposed to be two truss bridges, one for each track?), but overall the structures and vegetation look very nice; I agree about the rocks though, hit and miss... (it'd be nice to see some screens of the Mormon Rocks and Sullivans curve though) but overall the route looks very nice!

#7 Conrail Tweety

Conrail Tweety

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

Impressive frame rates!

Can you tell us what hardware you are running?

#8 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:00 AM

There's no comparison between those pics and any msts pics. Those are simply gorgeous. Any faults will lie in the unnatural lighting and the terrain mesh which we could see in the earlier two pics (released a couple of months ago) of this route that it's no better than msts's terrain mesh. There's tons of detail and vegetation in these pics making the whole pics pleasing to look at. Rock formations are incredibly detailed with variety and the ground textures are superb. That said, the lighting because it always looks like it's always early dawn is a big drawback. Pictures, like the Euro version of the sim, look a bit too saturated. For those wanting the natural lighting look, if it's possible to achieve it just through texturing, will need to do the same for all ground textures, buildings, vegetation and the sky as well. But in regard to the pictures just as a picture, if I could get my routes to look that good, hey! I wouldn't complain.

Well, let me rephrase that. I can get a msts route to look that good, the problem is it would take forever and the route size would be massive. Those who've done some route experimenting in RS already have shown us they can put out some heavily detailed routes in a relatively short amount of time using the included objects. Developing a route strictly from your own custom material, it appears you will save some time in some respects and in others it sounds like it will take longer. Consider this route has been in development for about a year too. Add to it that the best of the best msts routes have averaged 4 years in development... and you see what I mean. Other factors to consider that likely this route was done by a team and so forth. Maybe the question really is, can we do a route as good as the pics above? It's possible that maybe the obvious conclusion is probably not. The next sims are taking development of train routes to a level where it goes beyond the average route builder's expertise.

Maybe someone from RSDL can tell us who actually did the route scenery-wise. If it's the zoo project people then that's going to be a tough act to follow since they are professional graphic design people who do this kind of stuff for a living. And those pictures show it.

Rich Garber

#9 Eaglefan9727

Eaglefan9727

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:15 AM

I believe the Cajon Pass route was done by 3DTrainStuff. The same company who did Tehachapi and Cajon for MSTS. I am not 100 percent certain, But I believe I read that somewhere a while back ago.

#10 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

They started the route but the route was pulled inhouse early on. 3dts left the page ad of such that they were working on the route up long after it had been pulled. Financial reasons on Kuju's part, I believe, and not anything 3DTS did incorrectly from what I hear.

#11 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

The initial design of the route was handled by 3DTS, but was later taken in-house by Kuju/RSDL, and some items may have been farmed out to Train Zoo, Ltd.

I agree with most of what's said here. The biggest tweak needed (visually), will be in the lighting dept. However, the above should only be considered a basis of what's possible - out of the box is never 100%. Looks to me that RSDL have provided quite a palette work with. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#12 Curious

Curious

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

Is the BNSF trackage over Cajon Pass included in this route? If so is there any BNSF power or rollings stock included? From these screenies it looks like the UP got all the attention this time around.

CB

#13 Eaglefan9727

Eaglefan9727

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(Curious @ Jan 17 2008, 6:50 AM) View Post

Is the BNSF trackage over Cajon Pass included in this route? If so is there any BNSF power or rollings stock included? From these screenies it looks like the UP got all the attention this time around.

CB

I thought Cajon was all BNSF trackage except the ex Southern Pacific mainline. BTW, From what I have heard. There is no BNSF power that came with the sim.

#14 Curious

Curious

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(Eaglefan9727 @ Jan 17 2008, 7:57 AM) View Post

I thought Cajon was all BNSF trackage except the ex Southern Pacific mainline. BTW, From what I have heard. There is no BNSF power that came with the sim.

Wouldn't the ex SoPac mainline now be the UP mainline. I assume that's the line that is the focus of this route. If there's no BNSF power then the BNSF track must have been included for scenic purposes only. Maybe EA/Kuju will release a BNSF engines/rolling stock add-on some day so that the BNSF track has a reason for being originally included other than as eye candy. And then they can charge for the add-on.

CB

#15 USRailFan

USRailFan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(Curious @ Jan 17 2008, 4:14 PM) View Post

Wouldn't the ex SoPac mainline now be the UP mainline. I assume that's the line that is the focus of this route. If there's no BNSF power then the BNSF track must have been included for scenic purposes only. Maybe EA/Kuju will release a BNSF engines/rolling stock add-on some day so that the BNSF track has a reason for being originally included other than as eye candy. And then they can charge for the add-on.

CB

The original line over Cajon Pass was built by the Santa Fe. Union Pacific got trackage rights over the Santa Fe at an early stadium. Then Southern Pacific built their Palmdale Cutoff sometime in the 1960s. Union Pacific for some reason got to keep their trackage rights over the ATSF (later BNSF) even after their takeover of SP tho.

#16 InkyRail

InkyRail

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

The UP and BNSF lines do not parallel each other the entire distance. The BNSF line (Cajon Sub) comes out of San Bernardino and the UP line (Mojave Sub) comes out of Colton, about 15 miles west. They meet at a place called Devore, then more or less follow each other up to Summit. Then the BNSF line heads north through Hesperia, Victorville, and ultimately to Barstow; while the UP line diverges northwest towards Palmdale, and then Mojave. The UP kept trackage rights because even after the merger, the BNSF line is still the only way to get to the Cima Sub (to Las Vegas) from Southern California. From what it looks like, the RS route is the BNSF Cajon Sub, but only with UP locomotives. blink.gif

As far as my impressions, the scenery is great, but I've seen better locomotives and rolling stock from SLI, DW and 3DTrains. I'll stick with MSTS and see how things pan out.

#17 USRailFan

USRailFan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(InkyRail @ Jan 17 2008, 6:04 PM) View Post

I've seen better locomotives and rolling stock from SLI, DW and 3DTrains.

Wow, all of these have made locos and rolling stock for KRS within 24 hours of its release in North America? Damn, that is impressive!

#18 jmslakings

jmslakings

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(USRailFan @ Jan 17 2008, 10:19 AM) View Post

Wow, all of these have made locos and rolling stock for KRS within 24 hours of its release in North America? Damn, that is impressive!

No. He is just comparing those. And yes, the people at kuju have said BNSF equipment will be released later.

#19 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

The scenery is very impressive, but the track itself leaves much to be desired, look more like cheap plated track.

It is unfair to compare 3D's and this one, at least has far as scenery. There are so many limitations in MSTS as compared to new sims, that it is really hard to compare. We can talk about advancements.

#20 Guest_djt_*

Guest_djt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Here are some more of the Sullivanís Curve, Mormon Rocks/Pine Lodge/Alray and Summit areas.

As you can see these areas need work as does the Frost area (I thought Barney Rubble was going to show up at Sullivanís Curve), but the KRS engine leaves a lot of room for the route developer to do what he or she wants. With some good data and digital photos of these locations someone could really go to town, it could really be jaw dropping.

One thing these screens canít show is how realistic it is to see a train run past you in this sim.

Anyone who has ever been to Cajon knows that when youíre at Sullivanís curve you can see approaching trains down at Cajon before they get to you up at the curve. Then its ear deafening notch eight and flange squeal.

Watching a train work its way up to the curve area is very realistic in KRS. The prime mover sounds on the locos need work, but the flange squeal and passing freight car sounds are very convincing.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Autoracks heading down the south track -

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image