Photo

For The Sake Of Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 InkyRail

InkyRail

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

ERA- 5, 6 and 7 are my favorites, with 4 coming second. Steam doesn't interest me much.

LENGTH- 2-A subdivision does the job for me. Not too big, not too small.

CONCEPT- 1-I'm a stickler for this one; if I'm going to get a route, it has to be absolutely prototypical. I enjoy seeing routes from all over the country and like getting a feel for how that part of the country actually is like.

MSTS USE- I prefer to operate, but I'll do any of the above.

#22 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

ERA 5 & 6

100-200 miles

Can be prototype or conceptual like Ohio Rail

Any activities work for me

#23 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 12 2008, 11:59 AM) View Post

What's YOUR favorite era? Also, what era(s) do you have a passing interest in?
3. The Steam/Diesel Transistion Era. (Approximately the 40s into the mid 50s.)

What's YOUR preference for the mainline length?
2. A Sub Division (about 100 miles).

What is YOUR preference for it's CONCEPT?
1. One that is as close to prototypical as possible within a given era, including the equipment, enviorn, and operating practices.

Lastly, what do YOU like to do the MOST with MSTS?
3. Paint, build, tinker and piddle, I don't actually run trains very often.

I view model railroading as a form of learning history, one where simulation should be a well researched book in other form. Doesn't mean I don't also enjoy "watch the train go", just that one can do whimsy in a very accurate setting but you cannot do very accurate history in a whimsical setting.

#24 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 12 2008, 1:59 PM) View Post

Sittin' here wonderin'...

For grins and giggles, got some questions for you, the MSTS user:

1. Late 19th/Early 20th Century railroading. (Referred to as TOC.)

2. The "Golden Age" of steam: 1920's - 1930's.

4. First Generation diesel. (Immediately post steam.)

5. The 2nd Generation Diesel Transistion Era. (Begins about the mid 60s, when 2nd generation diesels really begin replacing 1st generation.)

6. The Rationalization Era. (i.e. the 70s and 80s. Mergers, downsizing, bankruptcies.)

7. The Modern Era. (Stuff like you see today, generally from the mid 90s on.)
3,4,&5
1. Up to 30 miles.

3. The bigger the better.

1. One that is as close to prototypical as possible within a given era, including the equipment, enviorn, and operating practices.
2. One that is based on a prototype, but has utilized SOME latitude for enhanced operational opportunities (read: addintional industries/tracks added as well as operational practices), but still includes era-correct enviorn and era-correct prototype equipment.
3. One that is loosely based on a prototype (uses mainline alignments of its prototype), but has been heavily enhanced for increased operational opportunities. Uses equipment based on the prototype it reflects.

4. One that uses a prototype location (may even use mainline alignment), but does not conform to the actual prototype. Would use personalized equipment that reflects typical railroad practice for the era it depicts.

5. One that is plausibly freelanced according to prototype practices (grades, curves, etc), including equipment, but is aimed at being very emersive. (Read: Enjoyable to operate.)

6. One that is total whimsy, including the equipment, with few amenities toward "reality".

1. Operate! The act of run a train, switching, simulating railroading.

2. Run trains of my choice in explore mode and railfan my train.

Feel free to elaborate!

#25 ddedicos

ddedicos

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:12 AM

What's YOUR favorite era? 5 & 6

What's YOUR preference for the mainline length? 2...little more, little less

What is YOUR preference for it's CONCEPT? 1 or 2

Repaint/reskin my equipment to better fit in with my fav era...usually run in explore mode for most routes...most activities over an hour or so put me to sleep!! blush.gif

#26 neilmilroy

neilmilroy

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Era - 1 and 2 ... When I was small and impressionable (1940s) steam was all there was...I still love it.

Size - StL&NA was just right

Model Basis - real railroad with some "enhancement" for operational interest, but an entirely fictitious route can be just as enthralling as the StLNA.

MSTS - I operate trains, deliver the goods, pick up and set out. I do a good deal of superficial tweaking, such as using my own sound files, and the track.ace files that appeal to me, but that's as far as it goes....the editor frustrated me too often to tempt me to anything deeper.

#27 kerrydel

kerrydel

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

ERA

My HO layout is Conrail in the late 80's/early 90's cause I remember when I started seeing the bright blue engines replacing all the old Penn Central stuff.

But I really like EMD F units, so early PC/Conrail transition is good too.

SIZE

A sub is about the right size. Not too big, not too small. Something where trains are at least 40-50 cars in length and require multiple units to pull them.

CONCEPT

Anything but #6 works for me. I'm no railroad history or geography buff, so if it seems right, then it is alright. I enjoyed Rich's Canton railroad as much as anything else.

DO MOST

Operate. Primarily switching. If the graphics were more realistic, I might enjoy running over the mainline more. But looking out at an artificial world (even Feather River) is not that interesting to me. Plus, since there is no real sensory feedback, I find "operating" a train to be a bit dull. I'm always surprised when I see that I've exceded frieght limits, because I have no way of knowing.

Kerry

#28 csxt602

csxt602

Fireman

• Beta Tester
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 12 2008, 2:59 PM) View Post

6. The Rationalization Era. (i.e. the 70s and 80s. Mergers, downsizing, bankruptcies.)

7. The Modern Era. (Stuff like you see today, generally from the mid 90s on.)

Growing up alongside the Chessie System, I love the 70's & 80's, but I'm also a modern fan of CSX and NS, so I guess I would fall into both of these choices.

3. The bigger the better.

Again, I would have to pick both of these. A subdivision is great, a partial or full division would be even better. As long as there's opportunity to run mainline trains, as well as switching opportunities, I'm a happy camper.

3. One that is loosely based on a prototype (uses mainline alignments of its prototype), but has been heavily enhanced for increased operational opportunities. Uses equipment based on the prototype it reflects.

4. One that uses a prototype location (may even use mainline alignment), but does not conform to the actual prototype. Would use personalized equipment that reflects typical railroad practice for the era it depicts.

5. One that is plausibly freelanced according to prototype practices (grades, curves, etc), including equipment, but is aimed at being very emersive. (Read: Enjoyable to operate.)

I could go for any of these actually, as I enjoy running all 3 types of routes.

I do all 3 of these as well, depending on what mood I'm in. Lately, for example, I was into the building and painting mode, but for the last week or so, I've just been in a "slap something together in ConBuilder, run it and watch it" mode.

#29 Christian S.

Christian S.

Railfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

What's YOUR favorite era?

2. The "Golden Age" of steam: 1920's - 1930's.

Also, what era(s) do you have a passing interest in?

1. Late 19th/Early 20th Century railroading.

4. First Generation diesel. (Immediately post steam.)

1. Up to 30 miles.

-Chris

#30 ironrailsbud

ironrailsbud

New Hire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

biggrin.gif
Favorite Era

No 4. Alcos, Geeps and BL2s

Mainline Length

30 up to 100 miles...maybe with some roadbed with grass and weeds overgrowth.

Concept

Do Most

Switching, making up trains, running local freights, and exploring and railfanning my trains.

Bud