Photo

Some A&M Pics...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

1 of 7:

First up is a poorly backlit pic of my power for now: #50. Got out to... uh... "shake hands with Shorty"... while sitting awaiting for the track crew to free up a stubborn switch. Snapped this pic.

Attached Files

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Pic 2 of 7:

Sittin' in the hole waiting for a meet with the southbound KCS Ft. Smith Dodger...

Attached Files

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Pic 3 of 7:

Dave grinds by with a long Ft. Smith Dodger...

Attached Files

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

Pic 4 of 4:

Later in the day finds us waiting on another train... this time A&M Job 3, dragging the FSR transfer...

Attached Files

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

Pic 5 of 7:

Greg has things well in hand as he eases onto the Ft. Smith RR trackage at FSR Jct...

Attached Files

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

Pic 6 of 6:

The Alco's sound pretty good as they chug past with a sizable transfer...

Attached Files

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

Pic 7 of 7:

Last one for now.

Snapped a quick pic while finishing up our day cleaning up in the FS Yard.

Talk at you later!

Andre

Attached Files

#8 derek

derek

Yardmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the pictures Andre.

Brings a different realism to train simming.

Derek

#9 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Alco's just never looked so good Andre. Thanks for sneeking some shots in for us. It looks like there are quite a few interesting grades to challenge your cool everyday but I would bet on the lugging power of those Alcos wink.gif

#10 Steamwhistle

Steamwhistle

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

Andre,

Nice photos...something tells me that this is...As real as it gets.

Bill

#11 B32BWH

B32BWH

Engineer Trainee

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Any chance of releasing that simulator? Awesome screenshots!!!

Haha, thanks for sharing Andre, i can tell your already showing your rebel side....

#12 shawnbecher

shawnbecher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Awesome photos Andre! Thanks for sharing!

#13 soogp30

soogp30

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

Andre,
Thanks for the great shots of working ALCOS.

#14 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

Photos 2 & 3 were taken just down the road from where I live...been across that crossing several times...though it was always on blacktop and not steel rail that I was riding on. It looks like Springdale got that green locomotive from last spring repainted....I had heard it was going to be numbered 57; any word on the slug that is rumored to be headed to Ft. Smith for work between 56 & 57? In a former career (professional steering wheel holder) I used to go to Dixie Cup quite a bit; Dixie is to the right of the photo frame in photos 4, 5 and 6. Though then there was a T6 doing the the work for the North Ft. Smith job and the pair of C420 working the FSR job. Certain times of the day that is a busy area.

#15 alcomech

alcomech

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

Great shots Andre. Is that little Mike stickin' his head out the window in pic #5?

#16 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. Glad you enjoyed them. Here's answers/comments to some of your remarks:

Kevin asked:

"It looks like there are quite a few interesting grades to challenge your cool everyday but I would bet on the lugging power of those Alcos."

There are some grades, for sure, in some of the worst places. Examples:

1. It's downhill to SF Jct and requires air to whoa up for the connection switch (typically coming off about 20 MPH)... then more air for a stop & proceed, sometimes another stop before the diamond, then 95% of the time yet another whoa up to align the switch against you south of the diamond.

That's about 4 heavy air demands on the reservoirs in short succession. I haven't... but it would seem to me that it would be very easy for a piglet to overuse the air, thus not be able to stop at the diamond or bottom switch.

2. A hefty downgrade toward Dixie Cup with a junction switch at the bottom (often against us). Typically coming off that grade at 20 MPH as well.

3. Another downgrade leading down to the river drawbridge. If you don't get stopped, you plow into a huge concrete counterweight. Job 3 uses this bridge daily. Last time I worked that job, I think I got the "attention" of the conductor working with me. I had come off the long downgrade that leads to the bridge... and was rolling right smartly with a heavy train at the top of the Restricted Speed allowance. Made an air set to check up and slow up to the allowed 10 MPH as I rolled out onto the bridge. Knowing I had a good hold on them, I let them roll at 10 MPH toward the absolute signal w/concrete "Stopper". Out of the corner of my eye I could see the conductor straighten in his chair... seconds later he asked in a higher pitched voice "You ARE going to get it stopped, aren't you???"

Nodding, I simply said "No problem". Shortly after that I started making my final air set and set them down a few feet from the absolute's circuit. Come to find out the engineer he works with most often creeps onto the bridge and sneaks up on the stop. (Not a bad approach to follow, I might add, and I will too, if I don't trust the train I'm handling.) It's just that particular train was handling good, and I knew it would be no problem to go ahead and cook right on up to the absolute.

As for the lugging power of the Alco's... well... some will, some won't. After all, they are over 40 years old. IMHO, the Alco/GE wheelslip circuits aren't as responsive as EMD's.

Zack asked:

"...any word on the slug that is rumored to be headed to Ft. Smith for work between 56 & 57?"

It's painted at Springdale. None of us at Ft. Smith want it. There is far more vesatility/utilization with a T6 as the 4th unit assigned to FS.

Thomas asked:

"Is that little Mike stickin' his head out the window in pic #5?"

That's his hand giving us an appreciative wave for having Job 3 lined onto the FSR and us waiting in the clear.

Watch for another photo thread soon.

#17 Coast Starlight

Coast Starlight

Road Foreman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Yet another nice set of pics.

#18 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Great shots ... and I'm jealous. Haven't run extra since December 30. Here's how I've been occupying my time - replacing centerplates:

Attached Files

#19 harperx

harperx

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

Great pictures! We really appreciate it, Andre.

Randy Brown

#20 bktrains

bktrains

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

Your mean Andre! Just kidding! Hey I know 2 A&M engineers that run around Fort Smith, Van Buren. I know you and I know Greg, I met Greg one day riding the passenger train.