Photo

Push-Pull

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 NorthernElectric

NorthernElectric

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

A Little Background: I mostly "model" Push-Pull equipment with MSTS, and now that I'm using BIN I wanted to know, when I come to my terminal (facing West), which has crossovers at each end, I pull past it, and then switch cabs (to the cab car) I get a fat red (facing East). One theory I had was because my "path" says keep going West when I am trying to go East (if you get my drift).

The problem/question: In the AE I don't know how (if its possible) to let your path either allow you to reverse run, or trick it into letting me "back up"....any solutions? My most famous example of this is using the Surfliner equipment...Also, how can I get AI trains to do the same?

Thank you.

#2 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

you should ber able to using reverse points, I have been able to move helper sets up and down, doing 2 pushes in a single activity. But I don't do passenger, so as far as that, no idea.

#3 NorthernElectric

NorthernElectric

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(kevarc @ Dec 7 2007, 12:58 PM) View Post
you should ber able to using reverse points, I have been able to move helper sets up and down, doing 2 pushes in a single activity. But I don't do passenger, so as far as that, no idea.
Alright, thank you. I'll keep playing with it then.

#4 jrmeindl

jrmeindl

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE(up1996 @ Dec 7 2007, 3:41 PM) View Post

Alright, thank you. I'll keep playing with it then.

As Kevin pointed out you would need to use a reverse point. The reverse points do work for AI equipment as well. For the player path, the key would be to place the reverse point past the crossover and signal you are trying to get past. I am guessing you want to cross the train over to another platform. After placing the reverse point, then continue to set up your path along the tracks you wish to run on. I have done this for an activity using the FBL 3. The lights in the ENG files were modified on a few units to make this work realisticly. The same principle works for AI trains. The only thing I would add is a waiting point at a terminal. Otherwise, the train will pull in and imediately change direction and leave.

Jim

#5 NorthernElectric

NorthernElectric

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Dec 8 2007, 3:36 AM) View Post
...The reverse points do work for AI equipment as well. For the player path, the key would be to place the reverse point past the crossover and signal you are trying to get past. I am guessing you want to cross the train over to another platform. After placing the reverse point, then continue to set up your path along the tracks you wish to run on. I have done this for an activity using the FBL 3...The same principle works for AI trains. The only thing I would add is a waiting point at a terminal...
Jim
The FBL3 is what I have been using to try this, mostly on runs between Mount Oliver and Fort Fairfax...I usually use a F59PHI, four coaches, and the cab at the end. Sometimes I use two P42's at each end with Amfleets or Superliners in the middle. This all works fine in explorer mode, but the moment I make an activity everything from signals to AI's go wild...in one incident, I came through the crossover at the East end of Fort Fairfax and had a head on with a train behind me...how did that occur is beyond me, but no matter what I try and do I cannot get it to work. Does it matter that I use two locomotives at each end, or a cab-car at one end blink.gif

#6 jrmeindl

jrmeindl

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(up1996 @ Dec 8 2007, 2:05 PM) View Post

The FBL3 is what I have been using to try this, mostly on runs between Mount Oliver and Fort Fairfax...I usually use a F59PHI, four coaches, and the cab at the end. Sometimes I use two P42's at each end with Amfleets or Superliners in the middle. This all works fine in explorer mode, but the moment I make an activity everything from signals to AI's go wild...in one incident, I came through the crossover at the East end of Fort Fairfax and had a head on with a train behind me...how did that occur is beyond me, but no matter what I try and do I cannot get it to work. Does it matter that I use two locomotives at each end, or a cab-car at one end blink.gif

The run I have is from Framton to Mt. Oliver and back. I don't think it would really matter what the train consist is. This activity also has the Bucketliner in it and I have two modified engine files that allow the lights to work correctly for this scenario. At Mt. Oliver I make a stop at the station to let passengers exit and then pull up to the cross over (using reverse points), switch cabs and proceed back into the station after crossing over. PM me and I can forward it off to you. You can then take a look at the paths and set-up. By chance, have you used anything like Activity Generator to make all the signal permissive?

Jim

#7 NorthernElectric

NorthernElectric

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Dec 8 2007, 12:53 PM) View Post

...At Mt. Oliver I make a stop at the station to let passengers exit and then pull up to the cross over (using reverse points), switch cabs and proceed back into the station after crossing over. ...

Jim

I think I just found me problem. I pull over the switch with the Cab/Loco just beyond the signal and the switch, if I get what I have quoted above, you reverse (with the leading engine now pushing) and then swtich after reversing through the crossover. Does that seem right to you. No, I don't use ActGen.

#8 ajwtcb

ajwtcb

Dispatcher

• Beta Tester
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

A lot depends on the signal protection at the crossover. If part of your train has to move into the next block before reversing through the crossover, that would cause the train behind you to receive authorization to move into your block, and the head-on collision. I'm not terribly familiar with Full Bucket 3 - I haven't run that route in years. So post a shot from the AE showing the signals at that crossover. Zoom out enough to show the block before.

Also, I wouldn't try the push/pull with an AI train unless absolutely essential to your activity. The only reason to try it at a terminal would be if a different train comes in and leaves while you're still waiting, which doesn't sound like very realistic operation to me.