Photo

KRS on its way.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:00 AM

Absolutely no problem with coupling/uncoupling - my interest area as well (wayfreight and switching). You need to look out for the switches ahead though, if they are set the wrong way (trailing switches) they will derail you - and yep, you can set them the correct way using "G", or "Control>G" if in reverse.

I think this sim will satisfy - what I need to know, though, is if it is possible, within a scenario, to have total "freeform", in other words no path restrictions.

Activity creation will come with the free developers toolset in November

Rod

#22 jp4712

jp4712

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE(nbeveridge @ Oct 19 2007, 3:28 AM) View Post

Currently, way freight operation with MSTS is quite enjoyable, and with Activity Generator it is easy to create activities. My question is whether this is possible with KRS. Have you explored it enough to evaluate if switching operations are practical? Coupling/uncoupling easy? Is the software "open" so that activities can easily be created?

For me, merely driving a train is boring, it is the addition of switching activity that creates the interest. I think this is true for many others, so the question of KRS switching capabilities is important.

Switching is actually really, really easy - but takes some getting used to, hence some of the anguished posts elsewhere. Where there has been an issue is that the supplied scenarios are pretty hopeless in that with MSTS, if you had a path then it was all automatic and you went to the destination that had been set by the activity writer. Now, in RS that's true some of the time and sometimes it's not - I think it's poor scenario writing but once you understand, switching is actually a real pleasure. There are two reasons for this: one, in yards switches/points have animated levers. You change them by pressing G or shift-G as in MSTS; or by clicking on that animated lever and watching the blades and lever move; or by shifting to 9 view (sort of zoomable track diagram in 2D) and shift-click each switch you want to change. One thing to watch out for - in MSTS you can go through a trailing switch no matter which way it's set, in RS if the path is not set through the trailing switch you'll derail. My favourite way is the 8 view: this simply undocks the view from whatever it was and you can then free-roam up to about a mile away from the train you're driving at that moment, so you can wander about the yard changing switches. Very, very cool to have a heavy freight, use 8 to zoom ahead to the next station and wait three or four minutes to see it pound through and watch it disappear into the distance, it's what MSTS view 4 should have been!

The other neat feature when playing is the ability to add stock at any time. Messing around in a switcher with some flats, wish you had a few tank cars on that far track to play with? Add 'em. Now doing so is not two clicks, in fact until I saw the video tutorial at UKTS I hadn't a clue, but once you get used to it it's easy.

It's pretty buggy overall and it desperately needs that patch and the dev kit out on November 12: and on day one I was pretty frustrated. No, scratch that, I was in mental anguish. But the graphics are very good, loco performance is very good (except friction coefficient too low), and despite the bugs it hasn't crashed to desktop once. Now, whose MSTS installation can make that boast?

Hope that ramble is useful

Paul

#23 cwhense

cwhense

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

Well Ihave the new RS sim a few days now, I am in awe of the graphical details, but I am also disapointted also.

it plays good and I get about 40 to 60fps most of the time on my computer which I just built a new one specs as follows

intel e6850 due 2 core
2 gig of ram
asus mb stiker extreme
8800gts 320 meg video
and a xfi gamer sound card

pretty much it oh 2 seagate 320gig hds.

now for my problems, switching don't know you guys are doing it but anytime I roll up to standing cars, I bumb into them at anyspeed over 1kph and they go flying tried many diffent times.

stuttering and low frame rates, now I will start a session with frame rates as high as 6o fps and it will stay that way for awhile, but playing some of the highspeed train sessions I get to high speeds and my framet will drop to around 30fps still not bad, but then the stutters come in, now with MSTS it was hardrive access that caused this, but now with this one I think its becuase its loading lots of new objects at one time but the harddrive is not being access when it happens its about 2 to 3 seconds afterwards it happens.

oh and I can release the train brakes by the keyboard but not apply them have to use the mouse in cab view.

hope these and other bugs and performence issuses get fixed soon.

#24 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

Paul, that was a very useful ramble smile.gif - will head to Bath Green Park yard in a while to try out the stock additions and setting the points in advance.

cwhense, I have had stutters on a lower system, and occassional refusal of controls - moving to a different view then back again seems to have sometimes unlocked a control (though that may just be coincidence. Never had framerates so high rolleyes.gif - I wish.

The first patch will address many of the issues - the main thing to hold on to is that this is a very good start, and it will definitely get better.

Rod

#25 burgerbern

burgerbern

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

I discovered today that the windscreen wipers work and you can see them working from inside the cab, now if the stupid program was given an interface where you could select the route then a starting location, consist and weather it might start to be usable, considering i have a Pentium D sysyem 3Gig plus a Nvidia 7300GS 512MB graphics 1 gig of ram i cannot get more than an average if 15fps, i have updated DirectX 9.0c to the latest aug 2007 version have updated the video drivers to the latest, at the moment i am shelving it in the hope that the ptch will solve some of this, but the method of choosing stock routes and weather etc sucks

#26 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

RS isn't suitable for switching just yet - there's a problem with cars when decoupling (they stop). Once Kuju/F4G release their first patch, we may have a whole new set of toys to play with, but for now, things are a bit sterile.

Cheers!
Marc

#27 Guest_ANDYZEBRA_*

Guest_ANDYZEBRA_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

1.the sound for the hst is .not 100% correct when the locs on full power the sound
is like its on 50% power
2. the class 47 freight loco has the wrong sound , its got 2 locos sound to make the one sound
and sounds terrible .
3. the deltic sound like it only gets up to 50% power also .
4. the class 47 has the wrong numers on . !
5. the veiw from the deltic is not correct,unless your only 4ft tall that is .
6. the instuctions for the game are almost none existent.
7. were does it show or tell you how to put a simple loco consist together ??
8. people on platform are like zombies ,
9. theres a patch out to fix both cab view for the deltic and the correct numbers for the
class 47 loco already . !!
10. if you try to couple locos to wagons or coachs some times ,they fall of the track .
11. and theres lots more .
12. i spent 35 . of my money on somethink that was not 100% tested !

13. some people will get the game running .some wont and heres my point ,only the folks
who are clever and already no how to rip apart sims and no how they work ow to put
consists together ,ghange the weather , point were you start from ,and all the other stuff
you get to do on msts 1 will love it , for the the people that dont then they will say its
"rubbish" faults showing up on a game in the fist week it came out !!
did any one test it? did any one ask the punters who were going to buy it what they thought of it before it was released ? any demos out ?

and why is the usa route going to be " cajon pass" the routes already out on msts 1.
shure the photos of it look great and the locos , but youre only going to get one route so
why somethink thats already out ???

so kuju railsim ,came on my pc ,then got booted off . so the next time an add on come out for it
or an upgrade , i will stear clear of it , mony lost for kuju , why because they put a rubbish sim out

am i allowed to say "RUBBISH" im dam shure if the usa kuju DOES NOT meet with high expectations
when it comes out there, THERE will be a few people moaning too. laugh.gif

#28 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

Andy, sorry if you are miffed at KUJU over their new simulator - what beats me is why you jumped more or less straight in and bought it when it is just out. Always a dodgy thing to do with new software cool.gif .

Too late now, but maybe waiting a while and working out whether or not it was for you, based on others moans and plaudits, might have been a bit better - you would have been 35 better off.

No point in commenting on your individual dislikes, but at least some of the problems will be easy for KUJU to fix (and will likely be fixed in the first patch) and others have already been patched (and will likely be in the first patch as well).

But really, if you want to call it rubbish and have a general rant and moan, this isn't the forum to do it on. Could I suggest here where its home is

http://www.railsimulator.com/forum

I agree it isn't perfect, but there are many advances (not least good detail with reasonably high framerates), and as others have said, it is a new platform that has possibilities for improvement.

You are right, at the moment it is ideal for those that want to tinker, but there are many who are enjoying it as it stands and are taking it for what it is, at the moment. Time will tell how good it becomes, once the third party input starts biggrin.gif .

Contact KUJU and tell them what you think.

Rod

#29 burgerbern

burgerbern

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

well i feel a bit happier now, actually managed to run 25miles without any form of disaster other than the 15fps i am getting with a Pentium D 3Gig processor, Nvidia 7300GS 256MB +256MB cache, i gig of ram, but hopefully on monday that will be sorted have a Geforce 8600GT on its way with a soundblaster audigy card (sound is onboard at present) also managed to find an exe that does not want the DVD in the drive for which i made up a couple of batch files to swap from the original to the 'fixed' one and back again at will, used the patched files from UK trainsim to swap the A & D keys.

i think the thing i find annoying still is the keys, press the key to move the throttle and it is not instant, you have to hold it slightly longer and then it goes but its all to easy for it to then go to high, the HST goes way past the speed limit to easily as its first throttle setting is 20% , i spent a lot of the 25 miles i did do coasting to keep the speed down to the limit.

overall though i love the graphics especially the lineside buildings which in MSTS always looked in a lot of cases like an afterthought, it will be nice to have the wipers going in the rain if i ever find any rain, i am not editing the default freeroaming scenario to do that, i want to be able to select it from a menu

love starting with an engine that is switched of and starting it up before moving off, its growing on me

#30 SCRF

SCRF

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(burgerbern @ Oct 27 2007, 3:19 PM) View Post

well i feel a bit happier now, actually managed to run 25miles without any form of disaster other than the 15fps i am getting with a Pentium D 3Gig processor, Nvidia 7300GS 256MB +256MB cache, i gig of ram, but hopefully on monday that will be sorted have a Geforce 8600GT on its way with a soundblaster audigy card (sound is onboard at present) also managed to find an exe that does not want the DVD in the drive for which i made up a couple of batch files to swap from the original to the 'fixed' one and back again at will, used the patched files from UK trainsim to swap the A & D keys.

i think the thing i find annoying still is the keys, press the key to move the throttle and it is not instant, you have to hold it slightly longer and then it goes but its all to easy for it to then go to high, the HST goes way past the speed limit to easily as its first throttle setting is 20% , i spent a lot of the 25 miles i did do coasting to keep the speed down to the limit.

overall though i love the graphics especially the lineside buildings which in MSTS always looked in a lot of cases like an afterthought, it will be nice to have the wipers going in the rain if i ever find any rain, i am not editing the default freeroaming scenario to do that, i want to be able to select it from a menu

love starting with an engine that is switched of and starting it up before moving off, its growing on me

I think the sound card will probably improve your frame rates more than the video card. I upgraded my Audigy 2 to a Fatal1ty and wow. Framerates increased from 14 to 18 to 35. Once you get both installed you should see a big difference in performance. smile.gif