Photo

KRS on its way.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

Received this mail from Amazon today...

1 Rail Simulator (PC DVD) 25.99 1 25.99

Shipped via a Super Saver Delivery carrier (estimated arrival date:
15-October-2007).

Will have some idea soon as to what it is like (but no US content sad.gif - just the railroad at the bottom of my garden (well, about 45 years and 2 miles away wacko.gif )

Rod

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

Look forward to some screens Rod wink.gif

#3 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

First thing, why DVD? Another words, why not CD?

Whatever it may be, coverted to U. S. Dollars, would be about USD $36.90 to the Euro, plus add freight or mailing costs......as of todays conversion rate.

Candidly, I would search the net for more details on who produced/manufactured it.

I am certain, it's not from MS. Not yet, darn it.

#4 ajwtcb

ajwtcb

Dispatcher

• Beta Tester
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(nlmcm @ Oct 12 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post

Have you ever installed a mutliple CD game? yawn. The copy of Trainz 2006 I have is FIVE CDs. What a pain.

Besides, it's probably more cost effective to use a single dvd instead of multiple CD's. Doing so would also reduce the amount of packaging needed, and the weight when shipping.

#5 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(ajwtcb @ Oct 12 2007, 6:00 PM) View Post

Have you ever installed a mutliple CD game? yawn. The copy of Trainz 2006 I have is FIVE CDs. What a pain.

Besides, it's probably more cost effective to use a single dvd instead of multiple CD's. Doing so would also reduce the amount of packaging needed, and the weight when shipping.

Andy,

If I had to install from that many CD's, I would make (instant) coffee between discs, otherwise I would fall asleep.

Thanks for the education, haven't installed anything from DVD to my PC, even FSX was only five but I wasn't paying attention as to whether I was installing from DVD's or CD's, but I did know that one of them after installation to run it had to be from a DVD drive.....I glumbly learn something new every blasted day!!!!!

My newest PC was outdated probably six months after I built/upgraded it!

Yet, I still never can catch up....

#6 steam4me

steam4me

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(nlmcm @ Oct 13 2007, 1:47 AM) View Post

It's 1.98G - so would be 3-4 CDs. Given that DVD burners are now under $38, CD readers are essentially obsolete: the PC that would handle this game well would also most likely have a DVD reader and/or burner or both.

QUOTE(nlmcm @ Oct 13 2007, 1:47 AM) View Post

Candidly, I would search the net for more details on who produced/manufactured it.

Candidly, you will actually find lots of information about it at
Kuju Rail Simulator or
Kuju Rail Simulator forums at uktrainsim or
Kuju Rail Simulator at otto-sim.com

It's also available for download purchase at EA Web Store UK.

#7 SCRF

SCRF

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(steam4me @ Oct 12 2007, 11:43 PM) View Post

It's 1.98G - so would be 3-4 CDs. Given that DVD burners are now under $38, CD readers are essentially obsolete: the PC that would handle this game well would also most likely have a DVD reader and/or burner or both.
Candidly, you will actually find lots of information about it at
Kuju Rail Simulator or
Kuju Rail Simulator forums at uktrainsim or
Kuju Rail Simulator at otto-sim.com

It's also available for download purchase at EA Web Store UK.

I purchased the download version last night only to find it would not download. I contacted customer support for help. I went an loaded up my EA Download Manager today to find out that it is 6 days away from being released! Man I am mad! I waited for the download so I wouldn't have to wait for it to ship and now I end up waiting longer for the download than if I had just ordered the blasted thing! mad.gif rolleyes.gif

#8 Guest_ANDYZEBRA_*

Guest_ANDYZEBRA_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

Please refrain from bashing the competitors products here smile.gif

#9 Guest_ANDYZEBRA_*

Guest_ANDYZEBRA_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:59 AM

having had another ( play ) drive this morning before i came out i still stand my words of the new raildriver being " **** " any one else been driving it ?

Once again please refrain from bashing competitive products. If you must please use more appropriate descriptions of flaws that you find.

#10 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

It would be appreciated if you would not bash the competitors product in this forum, it is quite inappropriate.

Thank smile.gif you.

#11 SCRF

SCRF

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(ANDYZEBRA @ Oct 13 2007, 4:25 AM) View Post

Please refrain from bashing the competitors products here smile.gif

Where do you see anyone bashing the competitors products?

#12 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

SCRF, 3DTrains and KUJU are competitors in the same market place - they don't need to be producing identical products smile.gif

Back on thread - Well, it arrived at last - delayed by the postal strike.

Despite many previous comments in this thread, I think there are a load of really good features and I am certain what problems there are will be ironed out pretty soon.

What is most impressive are the cabs - functional virtual cabs, where the left and right keys change you from the driver/engineer to fireman's position and you have full rotation using the mouse. It has got to be good, for the first time ever I have spent an entire journey inside the cab and thoroughly enjoyed the experience biggrin.gif

As might be expected, the program is processor heavy (and I guess RAM too). I had slight problem coming out of the sim then going straight back in - worked best from a fresh boot of the computer. I have most of the settings on max and haven't shut anything down - very good framerates except where there is a lot of stock - and again, this is only looking directly at a busy scene.

Real likes are;

1. Virtual cabs with good control
2. Many of the keys are identical to MSTS
3. Real depth to some of the scenery - no corridors of trees on the UK routes - large vistas, very convinceingly done
4. Very detailed models with plenty of 3D modelling - pretty good for the new "default" laugh.gif
5. Sounds - pretty good, especially the steam
6. You can jump to another engine if they are in the same location biggrin.gif (you may be able to do it elsewhere as well - but I don't know how yet)

Overall - leaving any obvious niggles to one side for the moment - a very enjoyable experience, and I would say, more realistic than MSTS (to be expected) and more convincing than Trainz in the cabs.

Many similarities with Trainz (no bad thing) but sufficiently different to not be a carbon copy.

Definitely NOT toy like as previously suggested - but that is my opinion of course. Been around MSTS for a while, and I am fiercely loyal to the old warhorse, but this has serious possibilities that I find rather depressing - why, because I am going to have to learn new tricks cool.gif

Which brings me on to my dislikes -

None really, other than the aforementioned new tricks and the mountain I am going to have to climb to get to operate the sim the same way I can MSTS.

My one niggle is that I can't work out how to take screenshots (even after following the instructions) AAAAAARGH!!! Oh, and the other niggle - no US content yet biggrin.gif I'm not that keen on the term, but I anticipate the US routes and engines being somewhat "awesome" chaps. Really looking forward to an interactive virtual experience on some of the engines that have featured in the promo shots.

I have seen comments about the physics elsewhere as well, but let's be honest, if we are interested in these sims it is not as they come out of the box, but how they can become in about a years time, after the tweaking and third party content. The main thing is that it is a good platform!

Give this sim a couple of years, with third party content and freeware available, and we might never look back (maybe sideways to MSTS2 - now that will cause confusion..... wacko.gif )

Rod

#13 SCRF

SCRF

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

[quote name='august1929' date='Oct 18 2007, 3:14 PM' post='112886']
SCRF, 3DTrains and KUJU are competitors in the same market place - they don't need to be producing identical products smile.gif

Maybe I am missing something but doesn't bashing a competitors product mean putting it down in a very bad way? I was just saying that I haven't seen anyone bashing another competitors product in this particular post. huh.gif Anyway I have my copy now as well and must say that I am enjoying it. I can't wait for the US content,but the European trains will do for now. smile.gif

#14 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

I hope that you Wayne and Rod both will post some shots as soon as the function is mastered wink.gif

#15 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(SCRF @ Oct 18 2007, 9:41 AM) View Post

Calling it "C---" is bashing it. Let it go now,... I edited the posts to eliminate the stuff (one word) I saw as not appropriate. That is why you do not see it now.

A comprehensive discussion pointing out the likes and dislikes is always welcome but a one word description does not qualify here.

I can always close this thread and hope the next one is more friendly,...

thanks and have a great day smile.gif

#16 SCRF

SCRF

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(SeanK97 @ Oct 18 2007, 8:02 PM) View Post

Calling it "C---" is bashing it. Let it go now,... I edited the posts to eliminate the stuff (one word) I saw as not appropriate. That is why you do not see it now.

A comprehensive discussion pointing out the likes and dislikes is always welcome but a one word description does not qualify here.

I can always close this thread and hope the next one is more friendly,...

thanks and have a great day smile.gif

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I just didn't realize that you had cleaned it up. blush.gif Now back to Rail Simulator! biggrin.gif

#17 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

I am anxious to see some photos and more to the point here is who has what performance results on what types of machines.

#18 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

I'm getting an average 20~24 fps on my old PC with all options maxed, and up to 30~34 in less intense areas. FPS drops to about 16~18 in cities. Not too shabby on old hardware.

Athlon XP-2000+ w/ 1Gb
XP Home
nVidia 6800U 8aa 16af

Cheers!
Marc

#19 jp4712

jp4712

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(august1929 @ Oct 18 2007, 11:14 AM) View Post
My one niggle is that I can't work out how to take screenshots (even after following the instructions) AAAAAARGH!!!
Hi Rod

The manual says that screenies can only be taken in windowed mode, not full screen.

Paul

#20 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE(august1929 @ Oct 18 2007, 2:14 PM) View Post

Which brings me on to my dislikes -

None really, other than the aforementioned new tricks and the mountain I am going to have to climb to get to operate the sim the same way I can MSTS.

Rod

Currently, way freight operation with MSTS is quite enjoyable, and with Activity Generator it is easy to create activities. My question is whether this is possible with KRS. Have you explored it enough to evaluate if switching operations are practical? Coupling/uncoupling easy? Is the software "open" so that activities can easily be created?

For me, merely driving a train is boring, it is the addition of switching activity that creates the interest. I think this is true for many others, so the question of KRS switching capabilities is important.