Photo

Keeping track of reverse points

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:18 PM

There is a very simple way of keeping track of reverse point for areas that require many. What I have started doing is using the little arrows from office supply stores that say sign here. I stick them to the monitor. Keeps me from having to pull my hair out.

What you do is this. Set you path. You don't have to get fancy with your reverse points yet, we just want to get the path established. There is one thing you need to watch for, some sidings have a node at midpoint that does not show itself UNTILL the path passes over it. You can move the reverse point over it, but it gives you an broken path so make sure you have you reverse points on the right side.

Once you have your path set, now it is time to set the reverse points. This process requires you jumping in and out of the path editor. I also use the highlight path button and go section by section. You will also need loose consists of the size of the consist has it goes through the various cars changes. When you get to the first reverse point, put a arrow on it. Now, do NOT change where the tracks are with the mouse. Leave the path editor and put a loose consist of the correct length between the switch and where the reverse point need to be, put a second arrow where the point goes. Go back into the path editor and drag the reverse point to where it needs to be. go back to highlight path go to the next reverse point. Do this for each reverse point.
This takes time, but in the long run it will save you a lot of grief having to go back and edit the reverse point because you did not have enough room between the reverse point and the switch.

#2 zarker

zarker

Railfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:00 PM

This is very interesting, but i've found that the switch (or the reverse of the path) doesn't activate until the whole train has passed over the reverse point.

This is pretty annoying, because the test-activity tool in the activity-editor activates the switch(and the reverse path) when only the nose of the consist hits the reverse point.

wish MSTS would make up its mind just how the reverse path option is activated blink.gif

#3 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

Nope,it is when the nose of the lead engine hits the RP, not the whole trains pasing the RP. Provided you left anough roon for the train between the RP and the switch.

#4 gdvrrer

gdvrrer

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(kevarc @ Aug 27 2004, 03:24 PM)
Nope,it is when the nose of the lead engine hits the RP, not the whole trains pasing the RP. Provided you left anough roon for the train between the RP and the switch.

Kevin,

You may have noticed that I have been having trouble with RPs behaving in a consistent manner. Would you clarify what you mean when you say “between the RP and the switch.” What switch are you referring to?

Thanks for the help….

Gary

#5 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

Ok, for example, you pull ahead with an engine and four cars you want to spot on a siding. The reverse point must be at least the length of the train from the switch NODE for the RP to trigger. If not, you will chase it till the cows come home. I usually make a dummy consist and place it as a loose consist, mark the spot with my finger or something on the screen and go to the path editor and place the point there. I also add a bit for good measure.

To test without running the whole activity, make a mini-one there with the consist you made above and test it till you get it right and then edit the main activity.

#6 gdvrrer

gdvrrer

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

I'm still having trouble understanding your example and how it relates to setting up a return path which in turn sets the signals for your return movement. In the case you presented, say I pull up short of this switch, cut off my train, move forward and trip the RP. All I want to do is set the signals for my return. That first signal may be two miles from the switch you are referring to. The default activity, SP Springfield Turn does not conform with those conditions and yet the RP functioned properly.

See my post at: http://www.3dtrains....=ST&f=15&t=7156

Gary

#7 Joe Morris

Joe Morris

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

I think what Kevin is saying is that the rear of the train must CLEAR the switch points ( in other words, Shift-G would work on that switch if it were a manual one ) BEFORE the front of the leading loco hits the RP. The train must be entirely in the same track "block" as the RP.

#8 gdvrrer

gdvrrer

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

Joe,

This switch is almost a mile from the signal that is preventing me from taking a return path. This is a yard switch and has no link to the double signal at the wye. My objective at this point in the activity is to drop the cars in yard, run down and wye the power and then make my set outs and pick ups. When that is finished, I need another RP to be able to return to the Eugene yard.

Gary

#9 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

You may need 4 RP's

1 - to reverse into the wye
2- to get out of the wye
3 - to hook up to your train
4- to leave the yard

But why do you need all the RP's? Are there auto switches? Or is it that you must pass a signal during the pick ups, set-outs, and the engine run around? If the answer to both of those questions is no, then you only need 1 RP, so you can get back out of where you are at. It can be anywhere and tripped anytime. I have done that many times. I have one floating around where there are a grand total of 6 RP's. And yet you move about 50 or so cars in and out of sidings.

I didn't the MP routes, too many screwy things and never messed with it.

#10 gdvrrer

gdvrrer

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Kevin/Joe,

The answer to your question is in a post I made on to the General Discussion Forum on 23 Jun:

I tried to attach a shot of the Springfield yard and the subject RP but I guess I am not considered to be a member. The default location of the RP in the SP Springfield Turn activity is on the west lead of Track 1 . I wanted to move it to the main line in the same general area or to the left at the west end of Springfield 3. In those two instances, the RP would not function properly. Even in the default activity, the RP failed to operate correctly. Last night I reinstalled Cascades Crossing the RP functioned correctly. I have not tried to add the RPs to this "fresh" file that are required to complete is activity. The use of several RPs is necessary:

1. One to return and enter the west leg of the wye.
2. One to enter the east leg after turning the power.
3. One to set the signals to return to the Eugene yard.

Despite what the creator of this activity says, the front couple of the loco provided does not operate whatsoever, so you have no choice but to redo the path and wye the power east of Springfield (all of the industry tracks in the area have east facing switch points.

Now that I have a fresh file for this activity, it may operate correctly. I suspect that as one make changes to the ACT file, the RPs get “buggy” and ceases to operate correctly. Is that possible?

You help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Since that date, I added the above mentions RPs and the RP function as expected thus giving me the signal I need to make pick ups and set outs especially the signal at the west leg of the wye. That RP at the west end of Springfield yard can really mess things up just by it placement. As an example, if you place the RP at the west end of Springfield 2, the signal way back at the east leg of the wye will always be red. You can't even get to the RP! What kind of sense does that make?

Gary

#11 TomG

TomG

Dispatcher

• Beta Tester
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

You know Kevarc, i read the book on activity design that Abacus puts out, you seem to posses more knowledge than i read. Maybe you should write your own how to book, i bet it would be excellent. Id throw my plastic down for it.