Photo
- - - - -

My HO Layout

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

Update

This topic used to have photos of my HO layout, but I've deleted and changed my own website photo storage over the years so some of the images listed here no longer work. Thus I've edited this topic with working links. As you read this thread I'm sure some of the replies won't match up well, but I hate missing image links so I wanted to fix that. Most of these images can also be seen on my website (link in signature).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 Amtrak_Titan

Amtrak_Titan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Looking very nice! What manufacturer makes the Hi Level Santa Fe cars and do you have any Amtrak trains on your layout?

#3 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Amtrak_Titan @ Aug 17 2007, 9:24 PM) View Post

Looking very nice! What manufacturer makes the Hi Level Santa Fe cars and do you have any Amtrak trains on your layout?

The Hi-Levels pictured are from Train Station Products (kits). These required the addition of American Model Builders laser cut windows. I also have the ready to run Intermountain versions but I'm still detailing the interiors on those.

No Amtrak on this layout since it's primarily set in 1957, although I really like the experimental Santa Fe Yellow bonnet paint scheme so I'm bending 1957 to 1971 with these blush.gif

I'd like to model a current version of the Southwest Chief one day and with Walthers new IVb Superliners due out soon I might finally go ahead and add an Amtrak consist. Athearn/Walthers P42s would be the power of choice. But then I'm going to have to change all the layout vehicles as they are 1950's and earlier... or I could just say a classic car show is going on in town laugh.gif

A 1980s Southwest Chief is also an interesting possibility with the new Intermountain ready to run Hi-Level coach dorm in the works. Kato F40ís would likely be the power.

#4 Amtrak_Titan

Amtrak_Titan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

The upcoming Kato Superliners could be good for a 1980s Southwest Chief. I might buy two Kato Superliners when they come out.

#5 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

Yeah the Kato Superliner I Coach looks great, but I'm very worried about the end yoke from the photos on the Kato website. Way too open for a real Superliner. Walthers is spot on. My guess is Kato is trying to make these cars work on tight radius curves.

I'm hoping it's just preproduction photos, and a full end yoke will be included. Maybe even a removable one for tight radius layouts...sort of like the trucks on the Kato HO business car.

#6 Tanner

Tanner

Brakeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

Wow! I would say my layouts pretty good but yours put's mine to shame! ohmy.gif

#7 3522

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

And I hear Big Zee now.......
To old for me... rolleyes.gif

Looks good, gotta like the desert.

#8 gerr

gerr

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:02 AM

Cool Layout! Are you running that on DCC or DC? cool.gif

#9 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(gerr @ Aug 25 2007, 5:43 AM) View Post

Cool Layout! Are you running that on DCC or DC? cool.gif

It was DC for years, but we recently changed to DCC. Pretty simple conversion since there werenít any blocks or complicated loops.

I'm going to have to get some photos of the other end of the layout (town, depot, residential area, etc...)

#10 gerr

gerr

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Southwest Chief @ Aug 25 2007, 2:16 PM) View Post

It was DC for years, but we recently changed to DCC. Pretty simple conversion since there werenít any blocks or complicated loops.

I'm going to have to get some photos of the other end of the layout (town, depot, residential area, etc...)

Thats cool. I need a auto reverser because I have a loop on my layout. Man is that going to cost me some money. tongue.gif laugh.gif

#11 Tony

Tony

Conductor

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

Hello Matt
Interesting stuff. Well done too. thumbsup.gif

Cheers Tony cool.gif

#12 Amtrak_Titan

Amtrak_Titan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

Do you have the Santa Fe Blue Goose in ho?

#13 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Amtrak_Titan @ Aug 26 2007, 9:18 AM) View Post

Do you have the Santa Fe Blue Goose in ho.

Yep, the old Rivarossi version. Not the best of runners and sort of lacks in details. But I guess for her age she's not too bad a model.

#14 Amtrak_Titan

Amtrak_Titan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Southwest Chief @ Aug 26 2007, 9:38 AM) View Post

Yep, the old Rivarossi version. Not the best of runners and sort of lacks in details. But I guess for her age she's not too bad a model.

Do you know where you can find the Rivarossi Blue Goose and do you have photos of the HO Blue Goose made by Rivarossi?

#15 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Amtrak_Titan @ Aug 26 2007, 9:52 AM) View Post

Do you know where you can find the Rivarossi Blue Goose and do you have photos of the HO Blue Goose made by Rivarossi.

eBay is likely the best place to find one since it's been out of production for many years now.

#16 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

Update

Same links are now in the top post.

#17 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

Wow - Great scenes, Matt! I especially like that theater! thumbsup.gif

I live nearby - Invite me over! Invite me over! laugh.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#18 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Hack @ Aug 27 2007, 9:36 PM) View Post

Wow - Great scenes, Matt! I especially like that theater! thumbsup.gif

I live nearby - Invite me over! Invite me over! laugh.gif

Marc you're always invited biggrin.gif
Seriously though if you are planning to be in the area (Anaheim Hills) send me a PM and we'd be more than happy to show off the HO layout. There's an O scale one too. Now I'm going to have to take some photos of that layout dry.gif

The theatre is one of the newer additions. I hated the old Bachmann theatre that filed the same spot for many years. At a recent train show I found an unopened Magnuson art deco theatre. I had always wanted one but could never find the long out of production kit. They are not the easiest to build kits as they are often warped, but the end results always look great.

#19 petethetim

petethetim

Railfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

That is a Superb Layout you have great skills

#20 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

Here are some pics of the O scale layout. It started out as a very simple Christmas tree layout and well it's grown to this:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This layout is an interesting mix of original and re-released Plasticville buildings. The old Pennsylvania steamer (Lionel 2025) is my Dad's first toy train. She's been running strong since 1952.