Photo

File names for new skins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:20 PM

This is something that makes it quite a bit easier for activity designers to use your skins in activities.

When you finish doing the skin there are some file naming that makes things easier. I use Wordpad. The same applies to wag files
1. Eng file - it is nice if you name it for what the eng is - i.e. - Say BN3718. Then name the eng,s and sd file the exact same. Don't forget to change the name line.
2. In the eng file the first line and all lines that start with wag or engine should be exactly the same. There are 4 of those. Use the search tool to find them. Redo the s file line also.
3. In the sd file - put the correct s file name.
4. The ace files - Name them BN37181.ace, BN37182, etc.
5. The s file - decompress with Route Riter ( it is very simple to do, just clixk on the Uncompress s after you highlight the s file and compress s file afterwards). Open the file and search for ace. Rename the files with the names you used in step 3. Compress the file.
6. Take a screenshot of the car or engine. Convert the screenshot to a jpg format (I use IRfan - its free and easy to use) and save it into the BN3718 folder with the same name as the eng file. This will then show up in Conbuilder with a right click.
7. For wag files, edit the name line and if one is not there add it. The format should I use is:
Name ( "Railroad Typeengine Roadnumber" )
For wags"
Name ( "typecar Railroad carnumber" )
You can put the rr, type, and number in the order you want but the format must be the same.

#2 BCRbudd31

BCRbudd31

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:56 PM

Kevin,can this be done with all rolling stock.Fiquring that activites already made will have to be changed because it would look for the old wording correct.
I would love to bring some order to things and wouldn't it be great if all did it when they D/L'd new stock and engines.

#3 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 05:57 PM

Yes you can. This is how I did the repackaging of a lot of single downloads from T-S.com.

#4 SSW

SSW

Milwaukee-Southwestern Railroad

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 12:33 PM

Maybe we should create compliance .gifs that state that the download is in compliance with the MSTS naming convention....

#5 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 09:58 PM

What recommendations do you make for naming of folders (engines and wagons)?

Mykel

#6 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:13 AM

I like for:

Engines: - RR&Roadnumber - i.e. a NS would be NS****

Cars - I would like it if a skinner would set it up that they could be added to existing folders, each car's filename wold be unique. UPcars would be an example.

#7 yellowdog

yellowdog

Just a grease spot on the L&N

• Beta Tester
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:53 AM

I agree with this, but I had so much trouble getting activities to work once I went and renamed everything from the "default" name, or if my folder name was different from whoever created the activity. At the time, Conbuilder was OK for redoing some of the consists (if I could ever figure out exactly what car needed to go in the "Wagon Not Found" box), but for those loose consists, I had worlds of trouble and lots of sim crashes when such-and-such car couldn't be found. Grr.

#8 oakpalms

oakpalms

Station Clerk

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:06 AM

Kevin,
Thanks for striving to get some cooperation and system for file and folder names to be used with MSTS.

Bob Edwards