Photo

Passing Points

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 08:22 PM

Passing paths.

These are very easy to set up, but are also very easy to screw up.

1. Set your path from beginning to end. Leave it on the main except for areas you want to use directional running, like long stretches of track or through yards, etc.
2. Now go through the path putting in the passing points.
3. Click on highlight path. You will go through the entire path. At each section that is between the passing points, check the optional path box. I usually check the box on the section before and after the passing points. I am not sure why, but it eliminates problems.
4. Exit, saving the changes.
5. Go and set up your other paths for AI trains, following the same steps.
That?s it.

Questions:
Q: What happens when I make a mistake and need to change or remove the passing point.
A: This is a huge problem since MS did not code the remove passing point in the right click menu. You can try going to an earlier part of the path and using take other exit option run the path into a dead end. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not. If not, remove the start point and redo the path.
Q: What happens when my path does not rejoin the mainline.
A: You will need to redo the path. You can try the answer to question 1, but you generally will get the send\don't send message.
Q: For a passing point to work correctly, do the AI and the player train need to use the same path between the passing points.
A: Yes, if the player's main path is on the mainline and the AI's is on the siding, there is no point in putting a passing point in the first point.
Q: What if there is a crossover between the main and the siding, it is a long siding?
A: In this case it is a good idea to follow the right hand or left hand running (CNW) rule for your route and not use a passing path in this case. You can, but it may crash out the path editor and you will have to redo the path. If you are going to try to create a three way meet in one of these, I would recommend hardcoding the paths for the three trains through this section.

#2 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:36 AM

I was answering a post on another forum and there were a couple of things I never included here and I want to add them:

1. use the alternate path option to MAKE sure that the optional path will rejoin the main. Sometimes the way the route designer set a switch may not let the paths rejoin. This will crash the editors. You must hard code this section.

2. If everything looks ok, but the editor keeps crashing out - there is a problem somewhere on the path. It may look like there is not, but there is, trust me on that. Delete the path completely and start over, saving the path at intervals. If it starts crashing, you can find the trouble spot a lot easier and hard code the paths through that section. This was a problem on a route I was working on, till I finally figured out the last (of course it is always the last one) was causing a problem and had to be hard coded.

#3 Acela2020

Acela2020

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:05 AM

i tried using passing points one time and it messed up my activity. Is passing points what it sounds like? a passing point for the AI trains and the drivable train?