Photo

A&M Alco Parade (Pics)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Thought I'd share some pics of the A&M from the Railpictures.net website.

First up is a pic of FS Job 3, the UP/Van Buren switch job that switches the Van Buren industrial "Bottoms" as well as shuttles interchange between the UP at Van Buren and the Ft. Smith RR at Ft. Smith:

http://www.railpictu...?...593&nseq=21

Next up is a couple pics of "out there" on Southern Sub of the main line in the Ozarks. This is the "Boston Mountain" range of the Ozarks.

http://www.railpictu...?...1410&nseq=8

http://www.railpictu...?...0966&nseq=9

And here's Winslow, Arkansas. Highest rail pass between the Mississippi River and the Rockies.

http://www.railpictu...?...995&nseq=31

Lastly, here's a look at Bridge #1, just south of Winslow. The photo belies the ruggedness of the region and the length/height of the bridge. Bridge #1 is nearly 1000' long and almost 140' high. My first time over this bridge was I was sitting in the Engineer's seat of a quartet of Frisco GP7's grinding upgrade at about 10 MPH with a tonnage train... all the way back in November of 1974.

http://www.railpictu...?...4869&nseq=0

Well... all for now!

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Every time I see an A&M pic posted at Railpics I start looking for your mug laugh.gif

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hi Kev!

Thanks for the thoughts... but I'm a'thinkin' it's a little early to start seeing Cooner at the throttle in a pic. Typically, railfans aren't too interested in the lowly switch jobs that keep the trains fed with cars. If I run at Ft. Smith, that's all I'll work: Switch jobs.

#4 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

Andre you couldn't be further from the truth with that statement about switch jobs being boring at least for my brother and I. We love that sort of stuff as it affords lots of "stack talk" and opportunities for really dramatic photos of exhaust bellowing and even bits of wheel slip now and again affording a small but visually appealing change to everyday railroading around us.

Even if you do get in a pic or two it won't break the camera,... laugh.gif

#5 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

Typically, railfans aren't too interested in the lowly switch jobs that keep the trains fed with cars. If I run at Ft. Smith, that's all I'll work: Switch jobs.

But that is what breathes life into a railroad smile.gif .

Nice shots, especially the one of Winslow.

Rod

#6 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jul 28 2007, 9:30 PM) View Post

Typically, railfans aren't too interested in the lowly switch jobs that keep the trains fed with cars. If I run at Ft. Smith, that's all I'll work: Switch jobs.

Well, then Steve Davis and I aren't typical. We have spent many an hour watching a local bang around in an industrial site, or watching a crew work an eight track flat yard in some small town. Not to say that we don't chase the mainline. But it is very interesting to watch how the prototype does the switching work -- helps us both when we operate a model RR or MSTS.

Hopefully Steve and I will get back to the A&M soon, and we'll be chasing Andre!

#7 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

In the first pic, what's that lash-up they're running?
Lead unit is obviously a Alco Century, from the shape of the cab
the second unit looks like a switcher, but what's that third "green thing"???
Cab roof sez it's another Alco, but from where????

BTW, gotta dig-out my old A&M VHS Tape and give it another look-see . . .
I know ol' Coonskin was in there somewhere . .

#8 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Those are sure some fine looking units! Having run them for a couple of years now in the sim I feel right at home with your photos. What a great thing to have so many ALCOs in one place. tongue.gif

Thanks for sharing. And I have to agree that the switching is what fascinates me as well.

#9 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

Just got home a bit ago from beginning to learn FS Job 1. This job switches the sand plant and coordinates with the FS Turn, delivers to the UP, then drags the FS stuff into FS yard. Coming back from Copp (siding), after passing through VB proper, you have to be on your toes descending down to the UP interlock. Not cool to broadside a coal train.

Sean/nb:

Well, if switching is okay with you.. then Ft. Smith and Van Buren is the place to be. Sort of like shooting fish in a barrel. Every week day you'll see: A&M FS Job 2 (the Ft. Smith/KCS switcher), A&M FS Job 3 (The FSR/UP/VB switcher), the KCS Ft. Smith Dodger, the FSR (Ft. Smith RR) "South job", and the FSR "Middle Job". Add to that the UP throughs at Van Buren and you WILL see trains, sometimes lots of them.

I have no clue what job I'll be on tomorrow... likely learning the 3 Job. That is, unless they keep Larry at Springdale... then I will likely be on the 2 Job.

As for chasin' ol' Coonskin: It will be a bit before I'm turned loose on the remaining jobs I still need to learn at FS. Once okay'd at FS, I don't know if I'll be pulled to Springdale or what.

Tom:

The "green thing": A former BC Rail C420, #632. Ran it today, I did. The pic in question is a C420/T6/C420 combo. Same combo we had today, except replace 54 with 56.

As for Coonskin in the Pentrex A&M tape: Fleeting glimpse of me as the FS Turn is descending the mountain. (I'm reclined in the second unit) and that's me standing at the head end to do a running inspection while stopped and awaiting a meet at the UP (then) Jct. I think that tape was shot in 1987? Something like that. Been a lot of miles since then. blink.gif

Herb:

As for feeling right at home... for me it's sort of a "de'ja vue all over again" thing.

#10 alcomech

alcomech

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Expect a nice surprise coming ya'lls way within a few weeks.

#11 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

I wonder if that was you I saw on Sunday??? unsure.gif