Photo

HUGE Change Ahead?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

Wow! Thanks again for another round of overwhelming voices of support!

nbeveridge:

You said,

"I turned down a chance to become a loco engineer with SP many years ago."

If you're not nearing retirement age, it might not be too late to pursue becoming a locomotive engineer, but you may have to work for a different company than the UP (SP). You may have to take a look at a regional/shortline to get your experience and certifications under your belt... THEN hire out on a larger line that will take a look at you.

When I decided it was time to go full time with my railroading, I had a problem: All of my paid experience was on non-FRA railroads. In addition, much of it was "unauthorized". That is, I would go on trips/runs/jobs with my railroading friends and learn the trade. However, through my long time association with railroading via friends, in effect, I learned my trade by giving of my time for free. (FWIW: Didn't realized at the time how important that would become.)

However, even though I knew railroading and had the skills, when time to go full time, I was in a pickle because I had no certifications saying so. That's where my opportunity with Watco came into play. They were in a desperate situation, and I was available, had the skills needed, and with minimal schooling/paperwork, could be certified. The low wages have been a pain, as well as the bummer work situation here, BUT... certification was accomplished and now I intend to use it as a platform to other things.

You also said:

"Steve Davis and I chased trains on the A&M a few months ago. Maybe we can get over there again in the near future and chase you!"

I would sincerely enjoy that! Hopefully, this can become a reality! Now we've got to figure out how to recognize one another. blink.gif

Andre

#22 huddy

huddy

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

Congrats Andre! I kinda thought you might be talking A&M whenever you mentioned passengers. Sounds like a welcome change for you!

#23 Coast Starlight

Coast Starlight

Road Foreman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

Congrats. That is quite an accomplishment. Good luck with everything.

#24 cricetus

cricetus

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

Congratulations

#25 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 20 2007, 12:50 AM) View Post

Tim B: Which of the former D&H Alco's going to the A&M have you seen/photographed while they were still on the D&H? Assuming they are still in service on the A&M, I'll soon be running them!

Andre

Andre: Looking through my photos, I can find D&H 401 (A&M 58) and D&H 407/417 (A&M 64) - I also have photos of 405, 409, 410 (A&M 66?), and 414, and possibly others, but I'll have to scan the slides in order to determine the road #s...

#26 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Andre,
What a great surprise and to be running vintage Alco power with incredible lugging power over all those grades. Can you possibly ask for more?

I've noticed in my life of recent years (reference to the last PM I sent) that funny things seem to happen every now and then and it really makes one wonder. Don't forget to look up to the skies tonite and say thanks wink.gif

Best of luck on the new adventure smile.gif

#27 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 20 2007, 10:26 AM) View Post

You also said:

"Steve Davis and I chased trains on the A&M a few months ago. Maybe we can get over there again in the near future and chase you!"

I would sincerely enjoy that! Hopefully, this can become a reality! Now we've got to figure out how to recognize one another. blink.gif

Andre

Steve is enthusiastic about this possibility also. You won't have any trouble recognizing me -- I'll be the old guy tagging along with Steve!?!!

#28 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Below you'll find a parting shot. Know what you're looking at? You're looking at the A&M before it was the A&M! Yup... that's the engine shops being built while it is still under BN operation. Like I said... my roots run deep with this line.

Talk about irony...in that third photo he posted; those two BN geeps in the background are former Frisco locomotives (BN 2121 is ex-SLSF 644, BN 1386 is ex-SLSF 111). I guess the down side to the new railroad would the lack of EMD 2-cycle power...are you sure you'll be able to handle such a change? blink.gif laugh.gif

#29 Spin

Spin

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

Congrats Andre!!!

To run those beautiful red Alcos, and make a nice living at it, what a dream job. Someone is looking out for you.

#30 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

All:

Got back from an out of town trip and checked in to see even more well-wishing... thanks again to all that have joined in!

Spin noted in his signature:

"Webmaster, activities coordinator Wheeling and Lake Erie Historical Society"

Spin:

I think the power that I currently run on the ARS Waldron Sub is former W&LE power that was sold off. The GP38's in question were numbered 1150 and 1153. These are painted black with a white side sill and white safety stripes (chevrons) on the nose/end. It's my understanding these are former W&LE units. Sound right?

Andre

#31 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Congratulations (a bit late), Andre. It's always uplifting to get good news after a string of rough days.

"I'm excited, but the monumental effort concerning relocating, along with all of the "unknown" factors thereof, tempers the excitement."

That's (only) one of the costs of growing a bit older - having to tone down the excitement because it is, after all, the real world! But it's great to see that picking up and moving down the road isn't too much to overcome - my Dad did likewise after retirement, and it led to some of the happiest years he had.

Best wishes in the new job, and hope it comes together like you want it to!

#32 SSW

SSW

Milwaukee-Southwestern Railroad

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Congratulations Andre-
Sound's like you're in railroading heaven!
Enjoy your time on the A&M!

One of these years I'd like to shoot the A&M. If I ever get up that way, I'll holler, I'll be needing pointers on photo locations tongue.gif

Bradley Linda
Waco,Texas

#33 Spin

Spin

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Andre, if those are the same ones, they were Chessie units that were leased to the W&LE for a couple bucks a day. They were lettered for the Wheeling but never owned by them.

#34 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(SSW @ Jun 24 2007, 10:23 PM) View Post

Congratulations Andre-
Sound's like you're in railroading heaven!
Enjoy your time on the A&M!

One of these years I'd like to shoot the A&M. If I ever get up that way, I'll holler, I'll be needing pointers on photo locations tongue.gif

Bradley Linda
Waco,Texas

Brad,

If you are going to head towards the A&M, give Steve Davis a holler in Tulsa. It's sort of on your way, and he knows a fair amount about chasing the A&M (and a lot of others in this region). If the timing is right, he would probably go with you!

BTW, I was used to be a long time member of LSR, so I probably met you sometime in the past.

#35 geode

geode

Railfan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Way to go Great Poobah. There's not much more stimulating and intimidating at the same time than a job change. I know because I retired from my 37th job.

Geode

#36 pentium5

pentium5

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

That's Wonderful!