Photo
- - - - -

About Ho scale EMD SD40-2 Diesel Locomotive price?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 kim

kim

Railfan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:49 PM

I want to buy a EMD SD40-2 Diesel Locomotive

OK $31.99

expensive or cheap

thank you

please tell me

Loco's oline url :http://www.globe-mod...Show.asp?id=827

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

Cheap.

Cheers!
Marc

#3 therock

therock

Route Rock Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:57 AM

Very.

#4 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(kim @ May 31 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post

I want to buy a EMD SD40-2 Diesel Locomotive

OK $31.99

expensive or cheap

thank you

please tell me

Loco's oline url :http://www.globe-mod...Show.asp?id=827

With no brand name listed, I'd be wary even at $32.

In model RR equipment, to a large extent you get what you pay for. A typical high quality plastic HO scale diesel model today will retail for $100 or more. Certain close out discounts may price a quality loco as low as $30 from time to time. I cannot tell from the linked site who the manufacturer is. Quality brands, many manufactured in China, include Kato, Atlas, Proto2000 (Life Like), Athearn (especially Genesis line), Broadway Limited, Stewart, InterMountain, and Bachman Spectrum. I'm sure I missed others.

Although this model appears to be manufactured in China, this is no guarantee of quality. If it is an off-brand, then cheap may really be costly, in that the loco will not run well (many reasons) and may have a poor paint job and oversized or missing details.

#5 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Of course another way to look at it, if you are into or wanting to get into kit-bashing (depending on the manufacturer and how well the model matches the prototype) this could be a very good start for making and even better locomotive by adding details and maybe even a better undercarriage. At $30.00, if you make a mistake, you are not out too much money.

Mykel

#6 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

That looks to be one of Bachmann's SD40-2s....not great, but better than an Athearn Blue Box from 20 years ago (right out of the box, not super-detailed). If you're looking for a nice SD40-2 wait for the Broadway Limited Blueline product, the Athearn Ready-To-Roll, or grab one of Kato's newest offerings. You should be able to get the Athearn SD40-2 for a bit less than $100 once the dealer's knock off their 10% from the MSRP, which most do.

#7 kim

kim

Railfan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

it is my buy loco.

OK quality,very good.

I will go to here (ww.globe-model.com/en)buy later.

this picture:

#8 3522

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(kim @ Jun 9 2007, 10:24 AM) View Post

it is my buy loco.

OK quality,very good.

I will go to here (ww.globe-model.com/en)buy later.

this picture:

Yuk......don't waste your money. Like Big Zee said, go for the Kato, or Athearn when it comes around. The Broadway Blueline will have sound, if you want sound.

That engine had a few glaring issues, but I will leave that alone. Big Zee knows I pick on bad engines.