Photo
- - - - -

What's Dan been up to?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

Well, I found a fella near me who is modeling a former PRR mainline that used to go from Indianapolis to points east. It has long been abandoned and torn up, but we are trying to keep it alive in his basement. wink.gif I've been helping him with the layout, and plan to do so until it is finished and we start some regular operations sessions as a club. So far only he and I are doing anything, but we kind of like it that way. You can visit the layout's website here. Most of these videos are available to be viewed directly from the website, or just search for CIOR on YouTube.

My Videos

His Videos

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

Aw - I want to play! biggrin.gif

( * ...begins to blow dust from N-Scale models... * )

#3 darkflyer

darkflyer

ATSF Crosstied and Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

Meeeee Toooooooo!!! biggrin.gif foof.gif

#4 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:39 AM

A good friend of mine has a basement Lionel setup, the whole basement. If plans go right I should be there tonite running trains with him. I'd rather be running my own but a lack of time and space keeps mine in boxes.

Nice work you have there, it looks and sounds terrific. Sounds also like a DCC system! smile.gif

#5 therock

therock

Route Rock Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Looks like a great layout to run just about anything on thumbsup.gif

#6 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

A few more, from last night's debugging session, while we prepare for an NMRA layout tour in 2 weeks.

#7 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

Neat! biggrin.gif

#8 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:48 AM

Really sweet Dan, I especially like that stack-train ina couple of the videos. Any chance of a few arial shots of that layout for perspective on size? smile.gif

#9 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(SeanK97 @ Apr 8 2007, 8:29 AM) View Post

Really sweet Dan, I especially like that stack-train ina couple of the videos. Any chance of a few arial shots of that layout for perspective on size? smile.gif

But then you would see the unfinished parts we leave out of the videos because it just looks so plain compared to the finished parts...and the mess we made down there. wink.gif

It's a 3-deck 40x30 layout that wraps around 3 walls of the basement. You can see the track plan here.

Below is a shot looking along the 40 foot north wall. You can clearly see all three decks in the shot. The large 6' diameter helix is behind me and to the right, and the Dunreith diamond I like to feature in my shots is directly behind me. The middle deck is fairly complete, except for a few odds and ends. The lower deck is just staging that will wrap all the way around and reverse under the helix (hopefully), and the upper deck is still awaiting our attention (except for the Cargill grain elevator you can see in the photo).

IPB Image

#10 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

It really makes you wan't to shelve the PC and MSTS as there is nothing more cool than watching that train pass by you. The hours invested always give back a great return as you ease your mind into your trainsets and head out, just as you get to track speed the wife yells down the stairs that the pizza guy pulled in the driveway, damn laugh.gif

Very cool Zebo smile.gif

#11 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the photo! It is really neat to see the perspective now and know what you are really seeing. So the upcoming NMRA show, just for kicks or is it a competition show?

#12 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(SeanK97 @ Apr 8 2007, 9:02 PM) View Post

Thanks for the photo! It is really neat to see the perspective now and know what you are really seeing. So the upcoming NMRA show, just for kicks or is it a competition show?

It's the Midwest Region spring convention of the NMRA. The Central Indiana Division of the MWR, NMRA is hosting it this year. During the show there will be layout tours, one of which will be the CIOR. You can visit the website for the convention here.

#13 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:29 AM

Awesome layout and making me wish I had the space, time and money to make such a layout! Good work, dudes!

#14 3522

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'm the fella with the layout. Names Matt.
Anyway, took a shot during our test ops session, this was at the end of the day and Dan got the idea to run a 80 car train. So the other 7 of us stood back and I grabbed a camera for the sure to be priceless derailment.
Here is a shot in happy times, pre derailment. blink.gif
IPB Image

A local and 2 thru freights clog the double track mainline. Did I mention, there are 2 sidings, one on each side of the mainline and it took the L-51 crew a half hour real time to flop around 2 industries.
IPB Image

3 thru freights and a local on the mainline stuffed into a tight spot. God Bless the poor Dispatcher at this location.
IPB Image

Just wait til it gets going.............And NO, Dan won't be running another mixed 80 car freight with 4 SD60's on it. ohmy.gif

Maybe a coal train.....

#15 Big Zee

Big Zee

The Small Vicuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Yeow...I look huge in that basement!

#16 3522

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

I guess it doesn't help having that low ceiling. Remember, that is Joe blocking most of the other shot.. haha

#17 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Big Zee @ Apr 12 2007, 5:09 PM) View Post

Uhh...Ahh...Umm...Never mind, I'm no one to talk! blush.gif

#18 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

Welcome aboard our little V-Scale layout Matt, glad to see you keeping good company like this! Sure is nice to see the faces behind these forums once in awhile. When you guys do get to the show, be sure to bring a few memories to this place for those of us not fortunate enough to be there.

Small basement right? devil.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#19 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

You guys are lucky have all that space! ohmy.gif

I mean our attic is huge too, but "MIND THE ROOF"...."BANG"...."OUCH!!!" blush.gif

#20 darkflyer

darkflyer

ATSF Crosstied and Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(sstyrnol @ Apr 12 2007, 9:54 PM) View Post

You guys are lucky have all that space! ohmy.gif

I mean our attic is huge too, but "MIND THE ROOF"...."BANG"...."OUCH!!!" blush.gif

sad.gif No basement, no attic , and floor space is a premium <-----for now wink.gif . Oh Dan not to worry lighting, and camera angles always tend to make folks look larger.