Photo

3DTrains won't open on my computer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE(SAR704 @ May 6 2007, 12:31 AM) View Post

Speaking of spyware and related software before this computer went into the workshop to get fixed I was using avast and at one stage it was causing conflicts with getright and registry errors upon its removal.

What would be the cleanest and safest freeware anti-spyware/malware programs to have running simultaneously?

Don't run them simultaneously. Run sequentially.

#22 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:25 AM

One very important thing to remember when running any of the above listed programs for spyware and general trash. Always turn the PC off and then back on again between uses of the programs like Ad-Aware etc. Anything that was "missed" by them could be potentially "memory resident" meaning they stay behind on a standard restart. When turning physically off and then back on it clears the memory because it no longer has any power to keep it going thus releasing any potential re-infections.

Have at ity and let us know the results of your spring cleaning. smile.gif

#23 wmalder

wmalder

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

I'm writing this reply on my own computer. That says it all about this experience. Yes, I've noticed in the past that no one program will get everything but I find it interesting that something supposedy as reputable as Norton Antivirus from Norton Internet Security would miss so much. The version I'm supposed to have is supposed to find this stuff but it didn't. I download the updates for this and Spybot regularly and I'd expect these things to be found eventually. Considering the length of time I've been fighting with these problems, these trojans have been on my computer for quite a while and yet they've never been found. I'll keep them and run them occasionally but I'm beginning to think that the hackers have finally found their way around the better known products. It may be a good idea to change anti-virus/spyware software completely each year or so.
Meanwhile, THANK YOU all for your assistance. As I've said before, there's usually someone out there in this community who knows just about whatever you need to know, all you have to do is ask nicely.

#24 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hi Bill, you are very welcome for sure. It was here too that I have learned much of what I share on this subject and others.

In regards to the reputations of any of the Security/Anti-Virus providers out there I should probably bring you (and any who are not aware of this) up to speed regarding Hacking tools/Spyware not being located and cleaned.

When you are infected with an item that is newer than the .dat files available on your anti-virus anti-hacking/spyware tools it is quite likely that they will not be cleaned and removed with subsequent updates for this reason: the tools (spyware etc.) are designed to locate the updates from Norton/McAfee/Trend-Micro etc. and modifies them as they are being installed to the cleaning/protection programs to "see" the spyware and malware as simply data and not an infection that needs to be cleaned or removed. Can't see the problems if they are wearing camouflage now can you?

Until you install a newer/more up to date program such as the Panda Activescan which is done "on the fly" versus being hard loaded to your PC they will always run in the background unnoticed and without fear of removal by the currently loaded programs. I have and maintain a subscription to the Panda Activescan Pro for this very reason. The many PC's that hit my workbench that are loaded to the gills with trash are fair game for the scan and I have yet to be let down. Not always is it successful in the removal process but at least they are identified and I can remove them outside of the windows environment with other means, but ultimately I know what they are and what to look for and remove.

Hope this helps as it is not really fair to condemn the big name programs for being faulty, it is just that the designers of the removal tools are not as quick and smart as the designers of the spyware. devil.gif

#25 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(cr-stagg @ May 6 2007, 10:19 PM) View Post

Don't run them simultaneously. Run sequentially.

I don't mind having multiple anti-(anything) programs installed. I'd just like to be assured however that none will contribute to any registry errors upon removal requiring a windows reinstall, or other technical issues my computer might suffer.

I only have AVG-free installed, so where would be a good start to get additional protection with creating any problems for my computer such as conflicts?