Photo

Cumberland Coal Hoppers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 erdnay

erdnay

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

Is there any particular reason why the empty 2-bay, empty 3-bay, loaded 2-bay, and loaded 3-bay hoppers all weigh the same thing? Alex

#2 Joe Morris

Joe Morris

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

Alex, An oversight during production, probably. I will change them and post them at the OVS testing site, and send the changes to Mr. Cowen.

#3 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Alex,

An oversight during production, probably. I will change them and post them at the OVS testing site, and send the changes to Mr. Cowen.

Just wondering about the progress for this correction.

#4 Joe Morris

Joe Morris

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

Unfortunately, this got put on the back burner with trying to test and release Bill Prieger's coupler values. My bad. I will get right on it as soon as I finish testing a couple of new RR features for Mike Simpson. LOL One-armed wallpaper hanger comes to mind.

#5 erdnay

erdnay

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Message for Dick Cowen... You know what I wish we had for Cumberland as well? Some Coke hoppers, using the same textures as the ones made for Bodiddly. We deliver coal up to the coke ovens, but there are no hoppers to pick up coke. Thanks... Alex

#6 clawsonsa

clawsonsa

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Ditto, Ditto! Scott

#7 kcjones

kcjones

Uncivil engineer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:19 AM

OK, OK!! Here is a link to files that should give you some coke hoppers. Just put them in the Cumberland hopper folder. They SHOULD work!!!! :blush:

I don't do this for everyone you know. :wacko: <_< MUMBLE, Mumble, mumble!!!! :flowers:

As to the weights of the various wagons. If anyone can tell me what they should be I will include them in the wag files. Numbers aren't my thing. Now shapes, that's different.

Coke Hoppers

Dick

#8 erdnay

erdnay

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Dick! B) That coal has been up there cookin' a long time and it's ready for the steel mills up north now. I will use these in a set of mini-activities I'm working on.

#9 nbeveridge

nbeveridge

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

Unfortunately, this got put on the back burner with trying to test and release Bill Prieger's coupler values. My bad. I will get right on it as soon as I finish testing a couple of new RR features for Mike Simpson. LOL One-armed wallpaper hanger comes to mind.

Please don't apologize for this. I greatly appreciate the new coupler values, and intend to implement them as soon as I can get some money to Mike.

#10 Jail

Jail

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:22 AM

Thanks Dick! B)

That coal has been up there cookin' a long time and it's ready for the steel mills up north now.

I will use these in a set of mini-activities I'm working on.

If you need a Beta tester let me know.

#11 mako88sb

mako88sb

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:49 AM

I'm not too familar with the coal industry. I found out what coal looks like after going through the coking process. Then I got to wondering why they need different hoppers for this product. I did some searching on the internet but with little success. I found one site that mentioned coke is not too tolerant of rail travel because it tends to crumble during transport which makes it worthless for the blast furnace. Okay, that makes it easier to understand why they need different hoppers and I assume they are designed to lessen the rigors of transport. I still couldn't really find any pictures of these hoppers. I hope somebody can post some pictures or point me to a website that does. Thanks! Rob

#12 sixman

sixman

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

Coke also weighs less than coal, so the hoppers for coke transport will have a high cubic foot capacity.

#13 dcarleton

dcarleton

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Coke also weighs less than coal, so the hoppers for coke transport will have a high cubic foot capacity.

Correct. What that translates into in terms of making accurate models is that, for example, a 70 ton capacity hopper may be loaded to capacity with gravel, and yet be filled only two-thirds of the way to the top of the car. Or, a 70 ton capacity coal hopper filled all the way to the top with coke may not actually be filled to capacity. If an ordinary coal hopper is converted to carry coke it is not unusual for the sides to be built up higher so that it can carry its full capacity.

Back before aluminum cars, when typical large sized hoppers were 70 ton nominal capacity, in round numbers the empty car could weigh 66,000 lbs and could carry 154,000 lbs of payload. If for some reason they could only put 140,000 lbs of payload into the car, then ten percent more cars would have to be moved. At 66,000 lbs empty weight per car, plus eight solid bearings per car, the railroad would do well to modify the cars to get the payload up to the limit!

David Carleton

#14 erdnay

erdnay

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have an activity which uses cumberland-coke.zip and the link is no longer valid. Could someone please fix? Thanks! Alex

#15 Buttercup

Buttercup

Track Layer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

I have an activity which uses cumberland-coke.zip and the link is no longer valid. Could someone please fix?

Thanks!

Alex

Try this one (http://www.humyo.com/F/90915603) it has coke hoppers in the package. They may be the one's you need.