Photo

Proto Photos 2/12/07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Since there seems to an interest in Andre's "real job"...here are a couple from today. Keep in mind snow in Arkansas is a rare thing...and today's forecast was flurries in the morning, no accumulation...partly cloudy by noon and clearing the rest of the day. It was still snowing when we tied up for the day (almost 1800 CST). This photo is looking toward Waldron on our way out of town in the morning...be leave it or not, there is a feedmill 3/4 of a mile ahead on the left side; along with 13 MT sitting on the main. Things on a normal day could been seen from this spot (MP 30). When we came back through almost 5 hours later the snow on the ground was gone...but the flakes were still flying. There are parts of the Waldron Subdivision (aka the Hillbilly Central) that run through open range/pastures. This spot is one of them...cows are frequent in the foreground...and on the other side of the cattle guard horses and donkeys are often there. None of which understand the concept of a getting off the track, cows running across in front of the train...or running ahead of the train, following the tracks are all too common. So common in fact we have "cow wack" crossing and "stampede pass". Great places to watch the hooves fly. laugh.gif

Attached Files

#22 bktrains

bktrains

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hello all this is my first post. Anyway those are some great shots!! I really like them.

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hello bktrains!

Welcome to the VSC forum! Glad you enjoyed the pics!

Andre Ming
V Scale Creations

#24 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Feb 15 2007, 11:21 PM) View Post

... Keep in mind snow in Arkansas is a rare thing...and today's forecast was flurries in the morning, no accumulation...partly cloudy by noon and clearing the rest of the day.

Sometimes that's a good thing ... Below was my assignment on Friday. The first thing we did was put it on the ground. That alerted us that every frog, crossing and flangeway was packed with ice. After an hour or so of monkeying around, we got the plow back on the rails. The drift out by the yard limit in the picture was the first one we hit. The tallest was six foot - not too bad as these things go - but it was packed sleet, snow and ice. Really put the GE on her knees. laugh.gif

It took us three hours to plow and flange the line. Not bad considering everything had to be pick-axed out by hand. There were two switch crews and the plow crew doing the work.

When we got back, there was switching and flanging to do in the yard. At 20F and 20 mph winds, everything was slow motion. After everything was cleared and made up at 4PM, I then had to do an initial terminal inspection. Finally marked off at 6PM, after 10.5 hours. I didn't get a whole lot done in the evening besides sit by the stove and thaw. (Sorry Bill and Andre, I should have been doing more testing on the link and pin draft gear for the ON ...)

Attached Files

#25 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

Steve,
Glad it was you and not me in that cold! There are times that working outdoors is nice and then there are the other times....

Bill Hobbs

#26 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

I've said it many times...if it's cold and dry I have no problem with the weather, in fact I actually like it. But rain & about 34-35 degrees, I really question how much I "love my job". laugh.gif Then you have days like this past Friday evening, our train is sitting in downtown Waldron...just put it together after getting all the empties gathered up. As I'm walking my air test I get to see one of the most beautiful sun set that I've seen in a while....and I'm getting paid to "suffer" through such a wonderful site. Oh, and where is my camera? At the house. sad.gif