Photo

PLEASE READ

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#21 steamed

steamed

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

I am still in. While new purchases have been slow lately, its for a completely different reason -- my HD is full. But I'll be fixing that soon.

#22 darkflyer

darkflyer

ATSF Crosstied and Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Not to worry Andre, I think we're all still dancing with who brung us, The new girl looks awfully purty, but she may have two left feet unsure.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif cool.gif.

#23 steamed

steamed

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

Oh yes, about the O.N. -- that is at the very top of my must have list.

#24 EdavilleFan

EdavilleFan

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hi Andre,

MSTS will be staying on my computer! Your work, along with Gaetan, Tim Muir, Wayne Campbell,

Mark Nelson and others, is not something I am willing to give up. I am worried that you guys

would stop producing excellent models and routes in light of the "new" sim. I can't wait for the

ON and Steam sounds to be released. I will be buying if you will be making!!!

Bob

#25 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

I'll second what Bob said above . . .

I'm running the routes and equipment I'm running because it's what I like and the quality is there.

When (and if) MSTS-2, or MSTS-3, or TSX, or whatever they call it is released, I doubt that it will
be compatible with any routes, or equipment, or tools we have now. So I won't be able to run what
I like for awhile, if ever.

So . . I'm still in the market and will continue to be.
Got the CM Pack, and looking forward to the Sound Pack and the ON.

MSTS-2 is obviously years away, and I'll believe it when I actually see the product.

Kinda brings to mind the saga of "the route that shall never be mentioned here" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#26 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

I said it when TMTS was announced and I'll say it now with TSX: I'm into MSTS1 for the long haul. I have years of modeling and thousands of miles of routes that I'm not about to give up for some shiny graphics.

Don't get me wrong, if this thing flies, and I hope it will, I will be there with the dollars out. But I plan to have TSX and MSTS sharing space on my hard drive until such time as I can have what I have now in MSTS in the new format. I like my Santa Fe Routes. I like my Ozark mountain routes. I like my narrow gauge routes. I have no intention of dropping them or slowing down on my downloads and purchases.

The medium is not the message. It's that trains! tongue.gif At the moment I have considerable investment in the medium of MSTS. If TSX works and takes it's place, fine. But I'm not ready to scrap my current equipment or routes for anything. I want to be able to run Marc Nelson's F's and Tim Muir's cars, and Jon Davis's link and pin TOC steamers and Gaetan's ALCOs and Barry Munro's C-16's. I'm sticking with whatever medium will do that.

Bin finally has MSTS where I've wanted it. I'm having fun.

#27 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Oh, and I just bought the CM set. Thanks Rod for the photos that got me excited! laugh.gif

#28 uli

uli

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:25 AM

As long as MSTS 2 has not been released, I will be interested in MSTS "1" payware content (if the price is reasonable).

I have purchased almost all VSC/BLW products and will continue to do so. So, please count me in. smile.gif

uli

#29 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:58 AM

I sort of remember something like this when there was all the hype over TMTS. With the frustrations built into MSTS and the PR/Gaming mentality that we just have to have the latest and greatest it seems like the moment someone even just mentions a new Train Sim, like Microsoft has done, (no details, no anything at this time), the vast majority go crazy wanting it on their machines. Remember everyone, these products have one purpose, and one purpose only as far as the makers are concerned, to make money!!!!! So, which is going to make them more money, allowing everything from some former sim to be converted or require you to buy all new? I think the answer is obvious.

Now, as for me, I personally intend to stick around with MSTS-O ("O" for original) for quite some time to come. I have bought everything that Gaetan has released (except for the present offering - which is on the planned list as soon as extra funds become available - and most of what Andre has released to date - all his routes for sure - as well as quite a bit from a number of others and I intend to continue to do so as long as things of interest to me are available.

To me this is not a "game", this is my form of model railroading - a house in Florida with precious little extra room, not to mention sharing it with an aged mother-in-law with dementia, don't leave any room for anything else. Besides, I can't create scenes like this on a conventional model railroad
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

who has the room? No one I know of!

The project I am working on at present will put quite a bit of Gaetan's eastern content to work and hopefully there will be some Reading in that future content, and is an outgrowth of Andre's aborted L&NE route. All of Gaetan's L&NE equipment has happily found a home on a protolanced route a few miles farther east from Pen Argyl.

So, I personally see a long and very enjoyable period of time with Andre's, Gaetan's, Rich's, Wayne's, Marc's and other's products for many years to come, come a new sim or not. For me MSTS is here to stay and I don't believe there has to be only one sim any more than in conventional model railroading there is just one scale.

#30 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:35 AM

All the hype about new Railroad Simulators reminds me of Samuel Beckett's absurdist play "Waiting for Godot" where two characters sit under a tree waiting for someone named "Godot" to come. At the end of each day, a servant for Godot comes and announces that "Mr. Godot could not come today but promises he will come tomorrow."
Thank goodness Microsoft hasn't figured out how to make the announcement of new software cause the older versions to quit working!

Bill Hobbs

#31 Barry Copeland

Barry Copeland

Brakeman

• Beta Tester
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:55 AM

I think it's worthwhile reminding folks that Microsoft promised us an MSTS version 2 a long while ago, and then pulled the plug after a year or more of promise.

Hopefully that won't happen again, but why give up on the routes and packs that we have now, and are under development. If folks stop buying now, then we may not have anyone around to develop or convert routes and packs for the new MSTS when (or if) it becomes available.

Barry

#32 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks to all that have contributed thus far to this thread. I must say that it has been enlightening, to say the least!

It would appear that MSTS has indeed carved out a hobby-niche that is unique: Not quite "gamers", but not quite "model railroaders" either.

To me, changing sims will be like changing scales in model railroading: The gains are going to offset by the work ahead (to build and aquire, tune, etc, the new items for the new "scale".)

I've changed scales in model railroading before, and the work is tremendous. I see it being no different for changing to a new sim. I foresee having both on my system. Frankly, I seriously doubt backwards compatibility. However, enough of me talking about the vaporware "new" sim. Let's talk about the sim we now have and what VSC is wanting to do...

The Frisco Mega Pack:

In email exchanges with Gaetan, he is also encouraged. We hope that the effort will be well received.

As for marketing the pack(s), we're going to try something different. That is, instead of offering one huge mega pack at a upscale price point, we are going to break it down into "modules" and let the buyer decide what he'd like to purchase. This will let the buyer purchase a module containing his favorite engines (etc) at a lower price and take them for a "test spin". If the buyer likes what is seen, then they can return to buy more at their leisure. At this point, three "modules" are being discussed: Frisco Alco Power, Frisco EMD Power, Frisco Rolling Stock. In one of the packs will be the Baldwin Switcher. (Haven't really figured out where that critter needs to be.)

Someone mentioned the need for a route for the Frisco Series. As also mentioned, there is currently a version of the Ft. Smith Sub in the freeware sector, but the poster indicated some issues with it.

Well, after I finish up and release the Ozark Northern, I am going to tackle my first love: The Frisco's Ft. Smith Subdivision. It is a project that is for me. I am going to treat building it like a hobby. However, I am going to try to be systematic with it and build it in segments. And you can be assured, when a segment is finished, I will be sharing it with any that would like to purchase. (Now you see why I've been twisting Geatan's arm to do some Frisco stuff!! devil.gif )

However, that is "next", right now I have a priority, the Ozark Northern, so let's talk about it next.

The Ozark Northern:

I have just finished building the next to last structure. (The Turners Bend depot for the connecting railroad, the Arkansas River & Northern.) I only have ONE more structure remaining: The joint depot to be located at Esna. Esna is the railroad town created on account of the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas arriving from the north to interchange and connect with the Ozark Northern. I'm about out of fresh textures, so I may need to make a texture foray before I can finish that last structure... but I'm SO close to having all the structures built and placed. Scenic detail is nearly finished as well. I make periodic "flyovers" and when I see any remaining "holes", I fill it.

After all the last structure is built, I need to do some terrtex work and then return to address the temporary track texture.

Once that is done, it's time for Track Objects, then Activities.

The equipment Jon has built for the ON is amazing. The Shay is outstanding. There will be great selection of rolling stock and a full roster of steam engines to keep freight moving along the Ozark Northern.

Well, all for now, again thanks to all that have shared input so far, please feel free to continue contributing!

OH... one last parting shot: Below you will find a pic of the Arkansas River & Northern's Turners Bend depot... only ONE more to build!!

Attached Files

#33 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

Andre,

While I am not over keen about TOC railroading, liking a bit more contemporary, at least by comparison 60's thru 80's railroading, I am going to have to buy the route for that station alone!!

Paul

#34 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Paul.

As is often the case, after looking at the "finished" product, I see things that I'd like to add... sooooo... here's the new "finished" AR&N Turners Bend depot:

Attached Files

#35 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

Quite honestly, I don't foresee anything in the way of possibilities for MSTS 2 that will lessen my interest in the current platform. Over the past several years, I have made a rather large investment in terms of time, energy, and resources into accumulating and modifying to my liking a huge array of locos and rolling stock, both freeware and payware. Would I wish to start again from square one? Not likely...

Like most, I'll certainly be intrigued by the new offering when it arrives, but until it's on the shelves, I have no interest whatsoever in idle speculation. We have been down that path a couple of times already...

The plan for the release of the Frisco set in multiple packs sounds like a winner, as it's often easier to find a spare $10 or $15 than $25 or $30. I certainly would welcome more freight packs that were done to Gaetan's standards. There is also a need for more high quality 2, 3, and 4 bay ACF hoppers, especially for fallen flags.

Mid-January is when the holiday hangover hits, and the holiday shopping bills arrive, often accompanied by tax bills, higher home heating costs, and other expenses.

If you build it, they will spend...

#36 mako88sb

mako88sb

Fireman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Well, in my case, the culprit for less spending on payware products is my 6yr old daughter. She helped my wife pick out my Christmas present which was an HO 2-10-2 presidents choice train set. This is my first real trainset and I had a great time setting it up and running it. I'm sure you know the rest. Down to the local hobby shop to check out add-ons and get ideas for a layout. So far I've only bought magazines and "how-to" books but I can see spending a whole lot more rather quickly. Might not be as cost effective as my MSTS hobby but my daughters will be able to help me with it so I'm looking forward to that aspect.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find some spare cash to resume buying ad-ons but will probably be more selective then I've been in the past. As others have said, it's kind of pointless banking on any future train simulators after what we've seen the last few years. I still see lot's of life left in this one.

Rob

#37 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

I agree with Ed Sand's comments above. As for sales with ConBuilder I have notice no drop since the announcement. While not as good as when the Christmas Special was in affect, sales have not dropped off.

As for the Frisco locos. Tag some with Frisco's QA&P please. But I will be buying anyway.

#38 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Over the past several years, I have made a rather large investment in terms of time, energy, and resources into accumulating and modifying to my liking a huge array of locos and rolling stock, both freeware and payware. Would I wish to start again from square one? Not likely...

Like most, I'll certainly be intrigued by the new offering when it arrives, but until it's on the shelves, I have no interest whatsoever in idle speculation. We have been down that path a couple of times already...

Tim, that goes for me too - I have held back from commenting, mainly because I saw my thoughts as perhaps being a bit negative. But I have spent a lot of time and money on the sim, my setup is not as good as I would like it (I lack the knowledge that you guys have, being your side of the pond), but I know a load more than I did 4 years ago, and it is certainly a more enjoyable setup. Multiple mini installs, dedicated to areas or periods, taking up a total of 90Gig of hard drive space - plus downloads and backups taking up a further 70GB and numerous CD Roms with routes. That is all a very heavy committment, and one that I would not give up lightly, particularly if my machine couldn't run the new sim too well.

I can see it being a separate install that would get used, but I would hope there was some backward compatability, though I suspect the graphics on some things would quickly show their age.

So, on the theme of the thread, sales are bound to slow after Christmas, but good stock will get around. I suspect there will always be slow movement on a lot of the fallen flags, particularly if there is no mind grabbing route to run them on - The Fort Smith Sub at the same time as a Frisco set would have been a match to fire the imagination - ah well...

Rod

#39 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

Again, it's refreshing to see there is still a goodly amount of interest in ol' MSTS 1.

As for timing a release of a Frisco route segment as the Frisco pack modules begin to hit the market... no way! Gaetan is a whirling dervish! That boy gets after it and can get more done in TSM in shorter time than I've ever seen!

Yes, t'would be great if I could get a segment of the Frisco's FS Sub finished in time for the Pack release... but like I said... me slow, Gaetan not. However, fret not, I'll be building this one because of my passion for the Frisco. After all, my nickname isn't "Coonskin" for nuttin', ya' know!

It will be cool to be able to recreate and animate some of my memories, as well as experience the visual again... even if virtually.

A QA&P geep? Hmmm... it could happen. devil.gif

Andre

#40 frog3764

frog3764

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

Greetings from the Philippines - Count me in! I am slow to try new things and I am just now getting "all fired up" with the activity creaters from Skyline along with the new equipment and routes, especially Gaetans and Andre's. Even if MSTS 2 hits the market, I thhnk it will still be a while before there is enough feedback on the product to see if people want to add the new sim and "start over" with their simming. Just my 2 pesos worth.

Jim in the PI