Photo
- - - - -

Model Railroad Shots

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 customcar2003

customcar2003

Future Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:41 PM

This is a thread where you can post pictures of your model trains from any scale. Here, i'll start it off.

I belong to a the San Leandro Historical Railway Society in San Leandro Ca.. We model from San Leandro to Sparks via Donner Pass. I am currently modeling the current Amtrak CZ train over the mountain. The layout is HO scale and is DCC. Here are a few of my shots.

Here is my train passing over a trestle just past Colfax.
IPB Image

Here the train is rounding a corner just before Emigrant Gap.
IPB Image

Here the train passes through the Norden snow sheds.
IPB Image

And finally, the train coming out of a tunnel just before Truckee.
IPB Image

All of these photos were taken by my friend Jeffery Weeks (Dc3man).

#2 B32BWH

B32BWH

Engineer Trainee

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:44 PM

Actually Scott, thats not my name here wink.gif. But i do tend to stick with Jeffrey Weeks. Will have to come back next weekend hopefully, so i can finalize my membership stuff, which only means that there will be more photos to come...wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif.

#3 customcar2003

customcar2003

Future Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the correction!

#4 adam17

adam17

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

Great shots there! Those Amtrak units look sharp. I'm a member of a model railroad culb myself, but we're N-Scale. I'll post some shots of our club layout when I return home. (I'm in school now).

#5 therock

therock

Route Rock Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

Great photos, Jeff and Adam! Looks like you've got a pretty good setup at where you ran those at! Wouldn't mind getting my "Work In Progress" to look like something along those lines biggrin.gif

QUOTE(adam17 @ Dec 11 2006, 9:50 AM) View Post

Those Amtrak units look sharp

Must be kAto's, best around smile.gif

QUOTE(adam17 @ Dec 11 2006, 9:50 AM) View Post
I'm a member of a model railroad culb myself, but we're N-Scale

As well as I

#6 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

Very nice Genesis units. Athearn/Walthers at their finest. Looks to be the latest releases too, #28 and #116. Does the Zephyr usually run itís P42ís elephant style? Just wondering as Iím only really knowledgeable on the Chiefís consist.

You say the layout is DCC, are the genesis units DCC equipped? If these are the latest units they were supposed to be DCC ready. Are they?

I've been looking in to getting some, to put in DCC with sound. Can't beat the good old Amtrak K5LA. Just wish they'd make an unlettered Genesis in phase V. With the new Microscale set I'd love to letter one up for my personal favorite, 147.

Nice shots and beautiful trainset.

Almost forgot...

Your Walthers baggage car is nice! But it could be even cooler looking if you changed the doors with these Amtrak style ones from Train Station Products:
Baggage Car Doors

#7 B32BWH

B32BWH

Engineer Trainee

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

I'll answer for him lol. yep, they are the new Walthers DCC ready ones. As to being prototypical, yes, the Zephyr 9 times out of 10 runs elephant style all the way, everyday. I dont believe i have ever even seen the Zephyr (in person) running back-to-back.

hope fully in the next few months i will be starting to build up a mid 80s-early 90s Zephyr consist, or even a Coast starlight consist, as i am joining the model RR club in the next few weeks. After that, i have a descision, either to model a Santa Fe freight consist from the 50s, a Santa Fe passenger set during the 50s, or an SP of either of the two options mentioned...oh the choices...

#8 ArkansasRailfan

ArkansasRailfan

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

SP !

IPB Image

IPB Image

#9 wildmary1950

wildmary1950

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(ArkansasRailfan @ Dec 12 2006, 12:48 PM) View Post

SP !

Looking really nice.........Wish I had the SPACE !!!!!!! For my HO Trains....Yes Really enjoyed your Shots !........wildmary1950 ....

#10 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

A note about Amtrak running P42s elephant style and info for you modern Amtrak modelers of other Superliner trains.

I was in Los Angeles today and saw the Sunset Limited with 2 P42s elephant style. Got a quick glimpse of the Coast Starlight, looked to be 2 P42s elephant style as well. Found in the yard what was likely the Chief being prepped with 1st and 2nd units facing forward and the 3rd unit reversed.

#11 ssw9662

ssw9662

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

Here's a shot from my N scale layout.

IPB Image

#12 customcar2003

customcar2003

Future Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the comments. Normally Amtrak runs their units forward / backwards, but I was just set mine up like that for no real reason. To answer your questions those are the new batch and they do come DCC ready. It is a sinch to install the decoder in them. They run great too!

#13 Pennsyduplex

Pennsyduplex

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:22 PM

Great pics. That part of Donner Pass I may have to incorporate into my O gauge layout when I move into a bigger place, and get money so I can buy Lionel's cab forward biggrin.gif Again great pictures and the layout does look fabulous. smile.gif

#14 Southwest Chief

Southwest Chief

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

Here are some from my outdoor layout which is based on the D&RGW of the early 50s. For more photos visit the layout website (link in my signature).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#15 wongsing

wongsing

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:28 AM

I figured I'd post a few of mine....

My Chessie units I have been working on...well...for months now! I'm such a procrastinator!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I had some SD40's pushing at the end of the train. The coal train I was running that day was alittle long, but now its much longer. Before all is said and done, I may NEED these SD40's at the rear!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I have some more pics the other trains I ran that day...All of which were pre-CSX! I will post them as soon as my friend Kyle sends them. The railroad has him on permanent lock-down... He doesn't get out much... dry.gif Hope you enjoy!

-Rich

#16 Micha

Micha

Railfan

• Valued Customer
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

At first a HELLO to all Members! Iīm new at this forum. Here are some links to my model railroads in G-scale.

Self-colored Dash 9 with foils
A Swiss Engine
A Swiss Train