Photo

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Note to all:

Just got off the phone with Bill. We're making the final decisions on how to package/etc.

We have mutually decided that it would best be marketed as a STAND ALONE purchase, with the end-user installing it into the eng/wag files of their choice. (Future VSC equipment will continue to use the very nice freeware sound pack currently being used.)

However, from this point on, all steam engine products VSC releases will ALREADY INCLUDE the commented VSC Steam Sound address lines within the eng/wag files needed to access appropriate sounds within the VSC Steam Sound pack. This way, if a customer that has the VSC Sound Pack purchases an upcoming VSC steam equipment pack (the Colorado Midland Pack, for example), will already have the sound lines needed within the CM eng/wag files. A simple comment w/parenthesis at the "default" sound line and the removing of same on the VSC Sound Pack address line puts you in business.

Clear as mud? wacko.gif

Relax! cool.gif All this will be explained in the revised directions that will be included with the VSC Sound Pack. biggrin.gif

Andre Ming

#22 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

Clear as mud?

Nope, I'm still puzzled blink.gif

But, then again, I'm not exactly the "brightest bulb on the string" rolleyes.gif

#23 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

Tom,
Andre is saying that the new equipment pacs from Jon Davis will have the current sound as default (the sound that came with the routes). But the .eng and .wag files will also have lines commented out e.g. comment (Sound( ../../VSCSteamSound/rodloco1.sms)). Then if you purchase the new sound package, you can just delete the default sound lines and uncomment the other lines and have the sound pointed to the VSC steam sounds:
Sound( ../../VSCSteamSound/rodloco1.sms). This is the fastest way I could come up with to make it easier to go from one set of sounds to another.
The sound needs to be a standalone package because it can be used with virtually any steam (except the Big Boy, perhaps).
Bill Hobbs

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:42 AM

Bill:

I think Tom's biggest concern is how will the wheel rotation be synch'd with the chuffs. Mind commenting on that?

Well... it's 5:20 AM... gotta' leave for the Nashville Sub. Talk to you all in couple days or so.

Andre

#25 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:42 AM

I guess I missed the earlier post and focused on Andre's post. Chuff synchronization is accomplished by using an option in the sms "language" with the name "Variable1". Wheel rotation rates, regardless of diameter, can be measured using radian measure. One rotation of the wheel has a value of 2 PI or 6.28. Variable one allows the user to specify the number of rotations per second that will determine which wav files are played. With 4 chuffs per revolution of the wheels, a rotation rate of 6.28 should play a file that has 4 chuffs sounding in a one second interval. For normal rod locomotives, my chuff files go from 1 chuff per second to 20 chuffs per second, with the shay having even faster (approx 50 chuffs per second).
Given the availability of Variable1, it allows one to focus on finding smooth cutover points between wav files and not worrying about synchronizing the chuff rates with the wheel diameters of particiular locomotives. If you look at the enhanced HUD display (F5) in MSTS Bin, there is a field called "Wheel Omega" that shows the wheel rotation rate. My recollection is that it displays in revolutions per second and not in radians.

Bill Hobbs

#26 BNSF fan

BNSF fan

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Sorry if I drug up an oldie.. But I am having an issue with syncing the chuffs in the external sms file. I am basing the sms off of the default Flying Scotsman.. I cannot find the variable that controls the synchronization. I am trying to sync the chuffs to the Milwaukee Road 261. Below is a segment of the 261eng.sms file.
Stream (
Priority ( 6 )
Triggers ( 16
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past .2 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_1.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 5 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 8 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_3.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 13 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 16 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_5.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 21 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 24 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_7.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 29 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 29 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_7.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 24 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 21 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_5.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 16 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 13 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_3.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 8 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 5 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_261_1.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past .2 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
)

VolumeCurve (
SpeedControlled

CurvePoints ( 41
0.0, 0.0
0.2, 0.2
0.4, 0.4
0.6, 0.6
0.8, 0.8
1.0, 1.0
4.2, 0.8
4.4, 0.6
4.6, 0.4
4.8, 0.2
5.0, 0.0

8.2, 0.2
8.4, 0.4
8.6, 0.6
8.8, 0.8
9.0, 1.0
12.2, 0.8
12.4, 0.6
12.6, 0.4
12.8, 0.2
13.0, 0.0

16.2, 0.2
16.4, 0.4
16.6, 0.6
16.8, 0.8
17.0, 1.0
20.2, 0.8
20.4, 0.6
20.6, 0.4
20.8, 0.2
21.0, 0.0

24.2, 0.2
24.4, 0.4
24.6, 0.6
24.8, 0.8
25.0, 1.0
28.2, 0.8
28.4, 0.6
28.6, 0.4
28.8, 0.2
29.0, 0.0
)

Granularity (0.01)
)
)

#27 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:07 AM

My sounds are usable for any route. Chuff to driver synch is done by MSTS but will never be perfect. One has to use a single loop of chuffs playing at a fixed rate over a range of actual driver rotation rates. I try to center the loop rate so that it is a bit fast as it first cuts over, then synchs and then is a bit slow before the next loop replaces it. Making the choice of cutover points is not a science but is just trial and error. There are only so many different loops that are allowed by MSTS and one has to try and optimize how they are used.
In the above example, a different technique is being used. The Speed Inc is the most difficult option to work with because speed at a given driver rotation rate depends on the driver diameter. So in the above example if one tries to use the sms file with a locomotive with different driver diameters, the synchronization will be lost. I use the variable 1 triggers instead, which are tied to wheel rotation rate and not to speed. They use radian measure which assigns a value of 6.29 to one wheel rotation per second ( two pi ). A chuff loop for that would have 4 chuffs per second.
I know this sounds a bit dry, but that is how things work. There are also a number of other compromises one has to make given that all the triggers that would be required to make things work perfectly were not made available.
Bill

#28 harryadkins

harryadkins

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Perhaps I have done something wrong. I have tried the Hobbs Steam Sound package installation on several steam locos from different creators (ie. Ohio Rail, Train Artisan, etc.) and none of them have the "chuff" sound that this forum speaks of. Other sounds associated with the running gear of a steam loco are accurate and well done. It is just the chuff sound that is missing. This is an example of the alias I used with a West Virginia & Ohio 2-8-2:

(Sound ( "..//..//VSCSteamSound//Rodloco4.sms" )

Can someone please help me?

Harry Adkins
harry@barnwellsc.com

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

Harry:

I have sent a note to Bill about your question. I'm confident he will respond as soon as he receives it.

#30 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:23 AM

Harry,
Your formatting does not follow the recommended formatting for the Sound() variable. Try
Sound( ../../VSCSteamSound/rodloco4.sms). Its been a while since I've looked at the format issues for folders in MSTS, but I recall the double "/"s didn't work correctly. Quotes arround the path description are optional.
Also, there is no need for an opening bracket "(" in front of the Sound() variable.
Bill