Photo

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Gather Round Ye Steamheads!

Below you'll find two links. They are of the upcoming new steam sounds being developed by Bill Hobbs for VSC. They are sounding SUPER!! In Bill's own writ, here's what you'll be hearing:

"There are three parts to each demo file. First, a start up sequence heard from outside the loco (view 2); after a break, another view 2 sequence of the loco at speed with whistle; finally "a short ride in a fast machine", the sounds from inside the cab (view 1) while running at speed. These demos were significantly edited from "in game" recordings to make the demos as short as possible."

http://www.vscalecre...y/loco2demo.wav

http://www.vscalecre...y/loco3demo.wav

Talk about gonna' be awesome!! This is some mighty good stuff, Maynard!

Andre

#2 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

Music to my ears!!!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Only one question: When???

(your loyal subjects want to know) rolleyes.gif

#3 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

Tom,
Andre and I are discussing how to package it up now. It requires installation in existing equipment and the number of alternate sounds for whistles, air-pumps, etc. has Andre a bit concerned about how to make it as easy as possible for users to customize the basic sms files.

Bill Hobbs

#4 Pennsyduplex

Pennsyduplex

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:26 AM

Those clips sound great. It makes one feel that they are riding an actual steam locomotive biggrin.gif

#5 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:32 AM

Bill and Andre, those are sweet sounds - the rhythm is music to my ears - be good to hear them linked into the sim.

Rod

#6 wildmary1950

wildmary1950

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

That was great!!!!!!!! I could fell the cinders going down the back of my shirt !! rolleyes.gif

#7 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

Attached File  VSC_Sound_Package.htm   32.6KB   420 downloads One of the discussions Andre and I have had concerns the extent to which users would feel comfortable changing one whistle file or bell file or airpump file for another in the sms files that will come with the sound package.

I have tried to document the available alternatives and their location in the sms files. I will try to attach an htm version of the instructions (as they exist today) for comments about the process.

Bill Hobbs

#8 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

Great Instructions biggrin.gif
But still lookin' for the sound files?? blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

#9 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

Mr Godot is sorry that he could not come today but promises that he will come tomorrow. (Samuel Beckett)
flowers.gif

Bill Hobbs

#10 gtw5812

gtw5812

Dispatcher

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

Holy Cow! Feels like I'm there..(Like I will be this Friday biggrin.gif )...throwing coal in the firebox!!

Can't wait!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Galen

#11 jbshay

jbshay

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

Simply amazing. I think you've skipped a notch or two in raising the bar. Can't wait for the release!

Jim

#12 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

Bill,

I am basically a diesel guy, but this quality of work is pushing me to the other side. biggrin.gif Amazing sound quality and variety. And, I like the addition of freight/passenger car sounds. I've been using the 3DPerfection package for several years, and it's OK, but based on you steam sounds, I will look forward to your rendition.

And, the Instructions are spot on! laugh.gif Enough detail to prevent confusion, but concise enough to make rapid conversion possible.

Great job!!! MSTS is taking on the overall quality of FlightSim due to efforts like this. cool.gif

Dave

#13 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

The final editing, testing, documenting effort is drawing to a close. I am now in the process of sending Andre 4 zips with the sound package in them (he has an upper limit of 5M in his mailbox). There may a bit more final fiddling, but th job is basically done (yes, I am very relieved biggrin.gif ),
I'll say this: its been a "growth experience" as my office describes such tasks.

Bill Hobbs

#14 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

Bill:

This is exciting! I'm still dinking with the initial sound files that you sent me for beta. I can't get over that the consists actually sound like a train and the steam sounds give one the sense of tonal cacaphony that reign in the cab of a steam locomotive.

I had SLSF (DLW) 724 on its knees the other evening, westbound up to Tunnel, with sound file rodloco3. There was enough tonnage to keep the speed below 5 mph. The stack was punching holes in the atmosphere. My volume was turned way up ... Ahh.

Steve

#15 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

Steve,
Andre does have all 277 files now. I hope we can make this available quickly.
Bill

#16 bennycdn

bennycdn

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

I haven't been following the posts on this,what are the sounds for ST&NA? Benny

#17 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(bennycdn @ Nov 27 2006, 1:16 PM) View Post

I haven't been following the posts on this,what are the sounds for ST&NA? Benny

Benny, yes. As far as I understand it, they will be steam engine and rolling stock sounds, with the additional ability to change details within the files like whistle preferences, etc. Bill Hobbs could tell you more. He took recordings of steam locomotives, appliances, whistles, rolling stock, etc., and then performed some kind of digital wizardry on 'em to clean them up. The freight cars' sounds are out of this world since they capture the "clunky" sound of wooden cars - more "clunky" than the squeak of steel cars - mixed in with the rattle of brake hangers, brake chains, etc. There are "loaded" and "empty" sounds, too. It's a hoot!

Steve

#18 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

Benny,
In post #7 above, I included a copy of the instructions for use as they existed at that point (there is more now). The package contains sounds for small to medium steam locomotives, a shay, and wooden freight cars. There are extra bells and whistles, and also a number of other sounds so the sounds for a given locomotive can be customized to suit the user.

Bill Hobbs

#19 bennycdn

bennycdn

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

Steve,Bill
Thanks for the quick response on the matter,the sounds are quite marvelous and looking forward to this future purchase. Benny

#20 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Bill:

I'm assuming the new Sounds could be substituted in other Steamers on other routes. One thing I don't understand is how to sync the sounds to the loco speed/driver rotation. Could your install procedures include a tutorial on how to sync the sounds????

Thanx,